Preview Round 20 - Essendon VS St Kilda - Marvel - Saturday 27/7/24 - 4:35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is a woeful stat. caldwell is a gun kick. champion data are just way off base so often.
I love what Caldwell brings, but that stat meets the eye test for mine.

I have noticed for a while that he has a habit of blazing away or 'dump kicking' it long under pressure a bit. He can use it exquisitely when he puts his mind to it though.

I was hoping Scott had changed since his break from North, but sadly not. Has a hard on for anyone with ‘experience’
Each individual selection seems okay and then bang did we really just bring Wright, heppel and parish straight back in.

It's not 2021 or 22 when we still weren't good but at least Wright, heppel, parish were better.

Wright had 1 good year out of 9.

Heppel is cooked and parish true value is understood by 18 other clubs now.

None are in great form so for all to come back in with no vfl baffles.

Last edited:

I have noticed for a while that he has a habit of blazing away or 'dump kicking' it long under pressure a bit. He can use it exquisitely when he puts his mind to it though.

Yep agreed. Reckon when he has time and space he uses it beautifully but when he is coming out of congestion he just kicks and hopes.

Yep give me merret, Martin, duursma, Jones, and maybe durham going inside 50 kicks before caldwell from the mid/wing group.

I think caldwell kicking wise is fine and can work on it. He is not a bad kick. But just more contested than others and when compared to durham, durham breaks from stoppage more often due to kamikaze speed approach so finds more space.

Sigh. Those changes.

Nbc No GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Menzie must be one of the most ordinary small forwards in the league. We can’t have Gresham and him in the same side. Hind and Davey Jnr would have been better options.

Guelfi comes out with no replacement? Forward pressure is going to be awful, which means defending the transition is going to be awful, which means defensive 50 efficiency is going to be awful.

Heppell coming back straight into the side to replace a lockdown defender is a joke. That so-called hard conversation clearly didn’t mean much.

Perkins isn’t a mid. Full stop. If he’s in the side, then he plays forward.

Hard to be optimistic at the moment.

Wonder if Scott would ever consider throwing Perkins to half back. It’s not working well up forward but he’s gifting games. How long can it go on.

Menzie must be one of the most ordinary small forwards in the league. We can’t have Gresham and him in the same side. Hind and Davey Jnr would have been better options.

Guelfi comes out with no replacement? Forward pressure is going to be awful, which means defending the transition is going to be awful, which means defensive 50 efficiency is going to be awful.

Heppell coming back straight into the side to replace a lockdown defender is a joke. That so-called hard conversation clearly didn’t mean much.

Perkins isn’t a mid. Full stop. If he’s in the side, then he plays forward.

Hard to be optimistic at the moment.
Couldn’t agree more. We are too tall and too predictable in the forward line. Not only would I not have brought Wright back in I would have brought Hind in at a minimum.

I would also have dropped Stringer and put Cox in his place so that Jones and Duursma could patrol the wings.

We lack fast rebounding defenders. So, the solution is to bring in Heppell. Master stroke.

I try to be positive about our trajectory and having learnt from previous seasons - last year, for example - but it’s hard to maintain it. Scott is just too stubborn and conservative.

Hopefully, he proves me wrong.

nah he hits bullets, is a lovely kick. top 3 in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahhh selection. Who really cares.

It’s mostly between the ears. They are basically the same team that was defending the whole ground like savages for a month or two. Now it’s back to Essendon ball.. shootouts and clangers.

Someone posted we would have won the last 5 bar Geelong on expected score. Opposite to first ten rounds.

Just entertain the idea for a second that footy results are way more random than you think. A two point loss is less than a goal off a two point win.

We have slackened off but they really just need to tap the Believe sign a few times on the way onto the ground. Amazing how discretionary effort goes through the roof when you believe in the mission and trust your best is good enough.

Glad we’re finally giving Dyson a go, keen to see what he has in his trick bag.

Although disappointing we’ve got such a short leash on Todd :(

Ahhh selection. Who really cares.

It’s mostly between the ears. They are basically the same team that was defending the whole ground like savages for a month or two. Now it’s back to Essendon ball.. shootouts and clangers.

Someone posted we would have won the last 5 bar Geelong on expected score. Opposite to first ten rounds.

Just entertain the idea for a second that footy results are way more random than you think. A two point loss is less than a goal off a two point win.

We have slackened off but they really just need to tap the Believe sign a few times on the way onto the ground. Amazing how discretionary effort goes through the roof when you believe in the mission and trust your best is good enough.
Are you saying people are just being resultist?

I don't know what to make of this new AFL where everything is made up and the scores don't matter. I guess Dyson got his wish.

Are you saying people are just being resultist?

I don't know what to make of this new AFL where everything is made up and the scores don't matter. I guess Dyson got his wish.
LOL in the words of The Dude .. "winning is just like... uh.. your opinion man" :cool:

Winning is better than losing but there was no stage we were a top 4 team this year. And we aren't that bad now. Just need a bit of luck and belief. And then we will be back to being that same old bottom half of the 8 side that we really were for the first 10 rounds.

I fail to understand some of scotts selection at all, which is okay as long as results are there.

When it seems dumb, don't understand and we lose makes it tougher but maybe a big win on Saturday will have it all make sense.

Poor form Perkins, heppel, menzies and the old failed mid mix of sheil, parish, merret seem so obvious but I'll see I guess.

The thing that makes the most sense to me is best 22 is based on paper footy iq or structure/style simulation at training.

The players who understand what we are trying to do the most or know what they should be doing the most, whether they actually have the skills, physical tools or talent to execute is secondary to understanding what they should be doing.

I.e heppel knows he is supposed to keep up with his opponent on transition and perkins knew he was supposed to be next to keays and stop the opposition. I mean they don't actually do that or beat there opponent but at least they know where to stand and that they should have not been liabilities.

Heppell's probably gonna be the sub.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

This team could work if;-

Heppell is SUB

2MP & Draper focus on ruck and helping defence limited time forward

Stringer & Perkins play forward and not midfield don’t need them there with Parish back in

Our record at Marvel and against the Saints of late gives me some hope we can pull out a win and remain in the mix for finals

It would be great to see Caddy kick 3 or 4 goals - or even 5 or 6…!! Comon Dons!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back