Review Round 20 - Q-CLASH @ PF Stadium - 27th July 2024 - 4:35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Davies the saviour according to Dimma.
Says a lot about the state of our midfield. Absolutely sick of them strutting around doing what they want and just watching as their opponents run off unopposed and create link after link.

Say what you want about Davies’ talent, but he works hard both ways and is committed to doing whatever the team needs and we need more of it. Davies (when he’s back), Graham, Humphrey need more midfield time.

I thought we started great but not able to convert cost us again.

In 2nd quarter Lions midfield got on top of us and generated the gap. This happened quite often this year.

Two rucks did not work.

Alex Davies the saviour according to Dimma.
Agree but it was more so Moyle didn't deserve to be dropped and Walter did not deserve a game.
Moyle offered way more than Walter has been.

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree but it was more so Moyle didn't deserve to be dropped and Walter did not deserve a game.

I reckon Moyle is going to be a top 3 ruck. Not cos of the game today but I've just seen him do so many facets of the game well in moments I'm bullish af

Says a lot about the state of our midfield. Absolutely sick of them strutting around doing what they want and just watching as their opponents run off unopposed and create link after link.

Say what you want about Davies’ talent, but he works hard both ways and is committed to doing whatever the team needs and we need more of it. Davies (when he’s back), Graham, Humphrey need more midfield time.
If Touk comes back this week as he hopes.
We won’t get a chance to see go humpa and Graham minutes 😔

Something needs to change in there though

On reflection I dont mind we went tall to stretch the defence we just didn't make the most of the advantage but we went too tall down back. Ballard was completely useless until mac went forward and we could have benefited more from another running defender. Either Mac starts forward and dont play moyle or ballard should have been left out.

We actually got to within only 8 points with time remaining yesterday despite the outrageous efforts of Voldemorts Baldy and Stevic and our terrible goal shooting including a number of outs on the full.

I mean in particular King, Luko and Humphrey for the love of god please be clutch and good under pressure.

Then an unfortunate ruck contest with Mac in there and not Witts/Moyle saw them go to 14 points.

Then they got two late ones to get it to 26 when we had to play high risk.

Things are not as bad as they seem.
Also 9W and 10L is not a horrendous season.

I suggest we shake it off and purely focus in on break the away curse next week.

The Late Season Syndrome strikes again. While Hawks, Crows, Saints, NM and even Eagles are showing some fight - we seem content with our season's work effort and counting down to that European vacation. We simply have to beat Eagles next week or we would have taken a tiny step forward but still failed miserably when it counted. We're better than it all suggests - I just want to see some fight and confidence.

Moyle did not offer anything forward yesterday and not much in ruck either. Although Walter struggles he still brings pressure, speed.
The Late Season Syndrome strikes again. While Hawks, Crows, Saints, NM and even Eagles are showing some fight - we seem content with our season's work effort and counting down to that European vacation. We simply have to beat Eagles next week or we would have taken a tiny step forward but still failed miserably when it counted. We're better than it all suggests - I just want to see some fight and confidence.
I thought we showed fight yesterday. We started well and were significantly better in 1st qtr. Just convert, put 4-5 goals scoreboard pressure on them and it could be a different story. Very painful to watch King's set shots. Especially after good conversion during the season.

Lions midfield is bloody good and they did manage to dominate us in 2nd quarter. But even after that we pushed hard and it was very close game early in 4th qtr. It looked like we could run over them but we just lacked cool heads, poise, confidence to convert, did not take opportunities. No call on Long front on contact killed momentum.

So far, I would not say we are fading out after bye.

Not far off, IMO.

So far, I am not impressed by Dimma coaching. Just yesterday when Lions started to dominate in the middle in 2nd qtr, he did not mix it up at all. Still the same crew.

Moyle is not forward.

Let's see next year after another pre-season. We do play a lot of kids this year. Always top 1-3 youngest line-up.

Surprisingly to me, middle looks like our most glaring issue. I do hope we manage to keep Davies and give him proper opportunity. He's the only one we have with a big body in the middle who can contest with big guys. Rowell is not big enough and Anderson is not a strong contested player. Graham will get another pre-season, Humphrey too. Not sure why Dimma did not try Rosas to run through there too. And don't start me on refusing to tag.

Play Lukosius like we did in the second half last year. Higher up the ground. He was very good in that time and kicked straight. Now he looks like he lost some confidence and we don't put ball in his hands.

Anyway, Eagles showed some fight yesterday, got experienced players back. It will not be easy to beat them after a long flight on 6 day break. Then another on the road game follows. Talk about s***t travel schedule.

Finally, do we play better than last year? Probably not. Yes, there were some moments, home games that got me excited about future but also some games when I was just shaking my head. Similar to last year.

Yes, new coach, new plan, playing kids for future. But next year we must take a next step or we could be in serious trouble. Let's see if Dimma can convince 1-2 quality players to join us.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprisingly to me, middle looks like our most glaring issue. I do hope we manage to keep Davies and give him proper opportunity. He's the only one we have with a big body in the middle who can contest with big guys. Rowell is not big enough and Anderson is not a strong contested player. Graham will get another pre-season, Humphrey too. Not sure why Dimma did not try Rosas to run through there too. And don't start me on refusing to tag.
I agree on Rosas. Or Weller. Or Powell etc. Sometimes we just need some speed on the ball and to let out mids float forward to rest. Overall, we were not using some of them anywhere near enough. We need their kicking or speed.

But on paper, our CBA spread is similar to Brisbane, btw.
Anderson/Dunkley — 23
Flanders/Neale — 22

McCluggage —18.
Rowell —14

Graham — 8
Swallow —8
Ashcroft —7
Rayner — 3
Bailey — 2

So Lions are just better player for player, really.

Lions beat us in quick spread out of the middle, just seeming a few steps ahead or a few steps behind to quickly pass back and out. It was just that separation they could get. But they are all very experienced mids (bar Ashcroft). And it showed.

Our backline is usually our strength, but balance was off. Weller can’t be there, imo. Playing him, Jeffrey and Powell, along with three talls, means Uwland is our only “grunt” player. All rebound and intercept, no actual defensive accountability once players break through. And we can get punished for it.

And Ballard and Mac playing when they only have 2 talls means one is always going to get found out.

Humphrey had a good game except on the scoreboard. Good pressure, good field kicking. But that finishing needs work.

Speaking of, King—like Humphrey—had a good game. Except for goal kicking. Marking was good, positioning was mostly good. Took a great grab and converted. Just something going on there. Last two weeks about 10 shots on goal for 1.6. After an extremely accurate year, it is odd.

I agree on Rosas. Or Weller. Or Powell etc. Sometimes we just need some speed on the ball and to let out mids float forward to rest. Overall, we were not using some of them anywhere near enough. We need their kicking or speed.

But on paper, our CBA spread is similar to Brisbane, btw.
Anderson/Dunkley — 23
Flanders/Neale — 22

McCluggage —18.
Rowell —14

Graham — 8
Swallow —8
Ashcroft —7
Rayner — 3
Bailey — 2

So Lions are just better player for player, really.

Lions beat us in quick spread out of the middle, just seeming a few steps ahead or a few steps behind to quickly pass back and out. It was just that separation they could get. But they are all very experienced mids (bar Ashcroft). And it showed.

Our backline is usually our strength, but balance was off. Weller can’t be there, imo. Playing him, Jeffrey and Powell, along with three talls, means Uwland is our only “grunt” player. All rebound and intercept, no actual defensive accountability once players break through. And we can get punished for it.

And Ballard and Mac playing when they only have 2 talls means one is always going to get found out.

Humphrey had a good game except on the scoreboard. Good pressure, good field kicking. But that finishing needs work.

Speaking of, King—like Humphrey—had a good game. Except for goal kicking. Marking was good, positioning was mostly good. Took a great grab and converted. Just something going on there. Last two weeks about 10 shots on goal for 1.6. After an extremely accurate year, it is odd.
I also thought Humphrey had a couple of good games. Just in his second year.

I also agree on Weller. Don't play him in defence. He is not a good defender. Also coming from 2nd ACL. I will be happy if he survives the rest of season and can show he still has it physically (it does look like).

King was good. Just in his head his kicking.

Just frustrated how badly we use Luko and that midfield does not try different things, players when it goes downhill. For me Anderson is not really inside player.

Last edited:
Yeah the people who did it had a shocker.
It was not Over the top. I’d call it muffled.

I think it was the BrisC Polo he was wearing that triggered people.
I mentioned this before, but it seemed like it was done to trigger people. Wasn’t shown at the start, or when the game was close. Just at the end when Suns fans were dejected and leaving the stadium.

I can't believe people are not mortified by that performance.
At home, finals on the line and just familiarise yourselves with who Brisbane had out.
It was absolutely Disgraceful

Last time I checked Lions midfield (top quality) was in full strength. Lions got on top in the middle in 2nd quarter and as a result put a scoreboard pressure on us. Lions were just better in the middle. Combine that with our very poor set shots conversion and not taking the opportunities and you get the outcome.

Rarely kids beat adults.

Far from disgraceful. First game at Gabba was disgraceful.

Last time I checked Lions midfield (top quality) was in full strength. Lions got on top in the middle in 2nd quarter and as a result put a scoreboard pressure on us. Combine that with our very poor set shots conversions and not taking the opportunities and you get the outcome.

Far from disgraceful. First game at Gabba for disgraceful.
There one key backman was Eric Hipwood.
It's was absolutely Disgraceful

I can't believe people are not mortified by that performance.
At home, finals on the line and just familiarise yourselves with who Brisbane had out.
It was absolutely Disgraceful

It's just not that surprising, Our key position players are soft and our midfield isn't as top line as we think it this.

We butcher the ball going forward and our inexperience sees us fluctuate in games.

Dimma got what he was given, he showed Hollands and Chol the door and we've seen no improvement on last year. Forget what off the cuff remarks he made about 80% of the list blah blah blah, he needs to recruit the soldiers he can trust.

Having said that, even without Andrews and Payne, Brisbane are amazing, they should make back to back grand finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 20 - Q-CLASH @ PF Stadium - 27th July 2024 - 4:35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Back