Preview Round 21 – Western Bulldogs vs GWS Giants, Friday 11th August, 7.50pm, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Toby shouldn't go. Eyes on the ball, first to the ball. He's allowed to protect himself. They might change the rules as a result of it though.
There are so many worse things the afl doesn't punish. Hits to the back of the head are banned in mixed martial arts. Why? Because the back of the head is quite a dangerous area to hit, close to spine, easy to get concussed, etc. Yet massive knees with long run ups to the back of the head are allowed in the afl. How the hell can they try to iron out jumper punches or other soft as butter things but leave the most dangerous things in? People just need to realize if you play a violent game you may get hurt and toughen up. If the game gets weakened any more then less people will want to watch it. Especially in rugby towns.

The players get paid so well in part because they risk damage to themselves every time they step into the field. If they don't want to risk it, don't play. It really is quite simple.

The harassment Greene gets is sickening to me. Before his Closed fist spoil that got him suspended (soft as f) the media was calling for his blood for weeks. The media are clowns always looking for controversy.

When bont or danger dump players into the ground it is "tough". When mummy does it it's seen as a bully.

Bulldogs took out Ward last year and they nearly took him out again tonight. Hope the dogs lose next 2.
Quite right. That Bont tackle pinning Ward's arms, the flogs on Fox just go, "ooooh" but they don't say anything. Sooooo bias.

Is Stevie J a lock in your 22 once you get everyone back for finals?

Yes and no and I don't know - but that's Stevie in a nutshell isn't it.

Clearly can't do what he used to do, but it's things like that tackle on the Bont, and his ability to direct traffic. He also did some really nice things that probably went unnoticed. But at the same time he's clearly cooked.

Lock? No. Will he play anyway? I call "heads"

Interested in peoples thoughts on Deledio and how he went tonight?
Seemed a bit quiet but in only his second senior game of the year my expectations are not high but anyone notice his TOG and also if he played mostly forward?
I would think next week is about getting more TOG and also learning game style and connections with team mates and I would see some more impact for the Geelong game so he is ready for a big finals series
Also thoughts on the 2 or 3 talls forward?
I could see the 3 talls work without Stevie J for forward pressure but with him and 3 talls as we have seen it is too easy for the ball to rebound
I was disappointed that we didn't see Lobb as first ruck but if Dawson is on the list next year the MC doesn't think he is ready for that yet although it could have been used as an incentive for HH to re-sign
Last question is in finals if it comes down to selection who would people have in the team Bam Bam or MDB?
The only thing I have picked up is MDB has finals experience, better disposal and his main role is as a forward where as Bam Bam spends more time in the mids so for finals I would be leaning towards MDB if that selection issue arise but I would take both over Stevie J

Not sure how the Toby boot to Dalhaus's face was even reportable. If there is any sense in the AFL world, this will get thrown out. Hardly worth a free kick.
To be honest Toby thought it was Caleb Daniel and the said foot would certainly have cleared his head.
Broges has already been put in charge of the tribunal defense and stated the afl will throw the charge out.

Seemed a bit quiet but in only his second senior game of the year my expectations are not high but anyone notice his TOG and also if he played mostly forward?
I would think next week is about getting more TOG and also learning game style and connections with team mates and I would see some more impact for the Geelong game so he is ready for a big finals series
I could see the 3 talls work without Stevie J for forward pressure but with him and 3 talls as we have seen it is too easy for the ball to rebound
I was disappointed that we didn't see Lobb as first ruck but if Dawson is on the list next year the MC doesn't think he is ready for that yet although it could have been used as an incentive for HH to re-sign
Last question is in finals if it comes down to selection who would people have in the team Bam Bam or MDB?
The only thing I have picked up is MDB has finals experience, better disposal and his main role is as a forward where as Bam Bam spends more time in the mids so for finals I would be leaning towards MDB if that selection issue arise but I would take both over Stevie J
Deledio had some very good touches. He spent half his time sucking in seagulls.. which is exactly what he needs.

Well done tonight giants. Is Stevie J a lock in your 22 once you get everyone back for finals? Seems to be the elephant in the room a little..

It's the elephant most of us have been trying to kick out of the room for most of the year, but Leon doesn't want to put his back into it to help us get him out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how the Toby boot to Dalhaus's face was even reportable. If there is any sense in the AFL world, this will get thrown out. Hardly worth a free kick.

My understanding is that just about anything is reportable on game day - it's really just a call for the MRP to take a look at it. Should be tossed though given there's plenty of clips of players lifting a leg while taking an uncontested (Dahlhaus wasn't there in time to contest it) mark to protect their space.

Hey guys I need your help. I need to find a number of images of guys that have taken a mark like Toby's (I know his was a handball receive). Anyone good at google image search. I've seen it plenty of times before.. Jarrad Waite has don't plenty for instance. Toby did the same action in last years prelim and nobody said anything because it got the guy in the chest.

Toby did the same action in last years prelim and nobody said anything because it got the guy in the chest.

I recalled that but didn't figure it was the right time to bring it up since everyone would probably jump on that as "he's got form". :p

Hey guys I need your help. I need to find a number of images of guys that have taken a mark like Toby's (I know his was a handball receive). Anyone good at google image search. I've seen it plenty of times before.. Jarrad Waite has don't plenty for instance.

I had a quick look myself on Youtube but the problem is that most times it's literally an uncontested mark (like last night) so it never makes the highlights.

The best win of the year..plenty to discuss..love the rivalry and loved how the GWS Boys delivered payback to the Dogs..they made it just that harder for them to make the eight...that's what a good side does..The call was painful to listen to especially Cameron Ling who is fast becoming the Joe Buck of AFL..his "They were destroyed" jibe at half time was a joke and it exploded right into his face..which cant get any redder btw..The GWS weren't destroyed they withstood some pretty full on pressure and to have the lead at half time was a top effort.Ling also bagged Phil Davis when he copped a whack and said something along the lines of when Davis went down as "He always does that" implying he's a stager which is rubbish.The boys at the back Nat, Philthy,Zac,Aiden, Nick, Harry, Heater were superb.And that third quarter was unreal..What a response by a "destroyed" team....Love Phil Davis the quiet achiever and golden fister last night.As for Toby Greene there were plenty of incidents where nothing was said but were nasty..Take Matt Suckling's elbow to the back of the head of Josh Kelly..if Greene had done that we would have had more replays more kangaroo courting..God bless Scott Pendlebury who should know, tweeted.."should have been play on"..Tobes showed remarkable composure..I've seen highly strung players lose it completely..aka Robbie Muir..Jacko..Carmen..etc..The kid kept his head despite all that was going on..A massive win in the scheme of things..and in Chicago to .opps Melbourne..another intense September awaits us all..cant wait for the ride.. destroyweb.jpg

Loved Lid's game..worth his weight in gold..experience and class..timing is everything..come September his presence around the packs will be so valuable..sucking up the seagulls exactly..every game minute is bonus time..and against a good side and on the road..Lids is a such a great get..btw Loved Matt de Boer as well clutch goal and some handy touches...

Last edited:
Question: is Himmelberg now the preferred option over Tommo for the rest of the season?
I wouldn't think so, I suspect they will take a "horses for courses" approach to selection now we have more than 25 available players

Question: is Himmelberg now the preferred option over Tommo for the rest of the season?
I'm guessing no, but maybe.
Tommos developed into a hard nosed lock down defender, but still has a big tank To me he's put on muscle this year. Personally I'd want him out there against teams like the Crows or the Bombers who bat deep in tall forwards.
On tbe other hand Davis and Haynes is gonna play, Corr is going great, and Himmelburgs better at ground level.
Maybe it was just that the Bulldogs are pretty weak with their talls and Himmelburg brought what we needed against them.
Or I could be wrong. :DStoked to have 5 tall backs of our quality though fighting for a spot, with Tim Mohr no slouch either.

Deledio - went OK, but still early on and getting his tank back' happy enough with his current output given player availability last/this week
Fwd structure - interesting, but perhaps Leon will take a more 'horses for courses' approach given the HH/Tommo selection, but overall it's hard to leave out one of Cameron, Patton & Lobb when they're all fit - Jezza & Rory are mobile and learning to tackle & pressure, it comes down actually IMHO to Stevie J not providing enough forward pressure
Ruck - I was surprised a little when Dawson wasn't selected, I think he's done a pretty good job of being a shadow Mummy in NEAFL and his selection kept with our normal structures; still, Bulldogs were one team where you could have given Lobb a run as first ruck. I expect Dawson to be retained given his performances this year, and hence give Lobb & Flynn more time to develop.
MK v MdB - I have been very happy with both players, think they've done their respective jobs well in recent weeks. Depends on the job required, midfield backup or forward noting that MK can do the latter whilst providing midfield backup. I'd like to see Bam Bam because he's a young Academy grad, but couldn't quibble if Leon went with MDB for experience in the big games. At least Matt has time on his side, and think he will see plenty of future action. Only issue would be if that pissed him off enough to leave the club fir better opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 21 – Western Bulldogs vs GWS Giants, Friday 11th August, 7.50pm, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back