Prediction Round 21, 2024 - Changes vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested to see what the go is with Duggan. Heā€™s just signed a 4 year extension and has had 2 concussions this year, not sure itā€™s worth bringing him in for the last handful of games and risking a 3rd. Second concussion apparently wasnā€™t quite as severe as the first but genuinely curious what the plan for him is the rest of the year.
While not in place yet, the doctors are pushing for the idea of 4 weeks off for any second concussion in a season which includes no running or training of any kind, not even rehab for the first 3 weeks of that

A pretty good chance we are just following that knowing we dont need to take the risk for finals football :D

OUT: J Rotham, J Cripps, L Edwards, Z Trew (inj), J Darling, J Culley (sub)
IN: A Gaff (farewell match), J McGovern, T Dewar, L Duggan, H Johnston, J Baker (sub)

FB: T Cole, T Barrass, H Edwards
HB: J Hunt, J McGovern, B Hough
C: L Duggan, T Kelly, A Gaff
HF: T Dewar, O Allen, J Hutchinson
FF: L Ryan, J Williams, J Waterman

R: B Williams, E Yeo, H Reid

I: R Ginbey, R Maric, H Johnston, J Petruccelle
S: J Baker

It's probably too many changes and I doubt Cripps would be dropped.

J Williams will be very important to help Bailey with Witts/Moyle. I don't think Flynn/Bailey is a good combo.

The club is in a very tough position in regards to the rucks. JWilliams has to play regardless of what we do. Therefore Flynn has to come in for BWilliams, stay in the WAFL or come in for Allen. Purely based on form it should be the last option but that would take huge balls from the MC.

Other changes would be.

Out: Rotham, trew hutch and darling
In: mcgovern, Harvey, dewar, gaff (to sub)

Culley to get another game to earn a contract.

Interested to see what the go is with Duggan. Heā€™s just signed a 4 year extension and has had 2 concussions this year, not sure itā€™s worth bringing him in for the last handful of games and risking a 3rd. Second concussion apparently wasnā€™t quite as severe as the first but genuinely curious what the plan for him is the rest of the year.

Chuck him on ice. Let Allen have a look at solo captaincy

Another longer term contract that will bite us in the arse.

The club is in a very tough position in regards to the rucks. JWilliams has to play regardless of what we do. Therefore Flynn has to come in for BWilliams, stay in the WAFL or come in for Allen. Purely based on form it should be the last option but that would take huge balls from the MC.

Other changes would be.

Out: Rotham, trew hutch and darling
In: mcgovern, Harvey, dewar, gaff (to sub)

Culley to get another game to earn a contract.

Not necessarily, put Darling out and J Williams can play purely as a forward. Flynn and Bailey to share ruck. On paper we are taller but in effect there is negligible difference as Darling/Williams is about same. The smartest way to handle it though would be play Flynn 50% in there and the Williams twins 25% each and try up the tempo on Witts and gas him out.

Not necessarily, put Darling out and J Williams can play purely as a forward. Flynn and Bailey to share ruck. On paper we are taller but in effect there is negligible difference as Darling/Williams is about same. The smartest way to handle it though would be play Flynn 50% in there and the Williams twins 25% each and try up the tempo on Witts and gas him out.
I just still think a forward line of BWilliams, JWilliams, Waterman and Allen is way too tall.

I'm going to assume Petch isn't suspended and Luke Edwards and Trew don't go out with their injuries.

Out: Rotham, Culley, Darling, Cripps
In: Gov, Duggan, Flynn, Rawlinson

Would have liked Johnston to play pressure forward but we've held him out of football too long and I'm intrigued by Rawlinson's 9 marks in the WAFL.

F: Rawlinson, Waterman, J Williams
HF: Ryan, Allen, Hutchinson
C: Maric, Kelly, L Edwards
HB: Duggan, H Edwards, Ginbey
FB: Gov, Barrass, Hough
Fol: Flynn, Yeo, Reid
Int: Cole, B Williams, Trew, Hunt
Sub: Petch

Edit: Forgot about Hutch, Hall debut delayed Petch to sub. Realistically Petch should just outright replace Cripps and play 90 minutes as our deepest small forward. Has the speed and the finishing skills to apply more pressure and likely kicks more goals than fumbles.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats way too tall. Cant have 3 actual tall forward and 2 rucks.

We can maybe get away with Darling as hes a lot shorter, but we would essentially be replacing a 191cm guy with Flynn.

No thanks

Out: Darling, Rotham, Culley(Trew if injured), L. Edwards
In: Dewar, McGovern, Hall, Duggan

B: Hough, Barrass, H. Edwards
HB: Duggan, McGovern, Hunt
C: Maric, Yeo, Hutchinson
HF: Ryan, Waterman, Cripps
F: Dewar, Allen, J. Williams

R: B. Williams, Kelly, Reid

I/C: Ginbey, Cole, Trew/Culley, Hall

S: Petruccelle

Gov for Rotham
Dewar for LEdwards
Duggan for Trew

Flynn for BWilliams maybe?
BWilliams should not be allowed anywhere near Witts or Moyle. May as well have Culley rucking and have an extra mid at the contest.

Flynn has to play this week.

Witts smashed bailey earlier in the year so let's bring in Flynn.

But not at the expense of Jack Williams.

Bailey needs to sit out and see how Flynn jack Williams combo goes .

Darling out for dewar
Rotham out for gov
Trew out for hall

I think you can get away with 3 KPFs if they're good enough but 4 is too much no matter how good, it screws the balance.

Normally you'd have 2 KPFs, 1 or 2 medium forwards then 2 or 3 smalls/crumbers/defensive forwards. The smalls often would rotate with mids as needed to spice things up or rest mids forward, but you can't do that if the balance is wrong.

That's not even considering a resting ruckman.

The reason I like Hutchinson is because he's basically the only medium forward we have, although Ryan can play the role with his impressive leap, we don't really have someone like Hutchinson who is bridging the gap of crumber and KPF.

Darling out for Dewar goes a long way to correcting the balance of the forwardline but with the resting ruck we can still present a little tall.

Need to win those contested marks down the wing or through the corridor for the method to pay dividends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back