Round 21 changes: Footscray v Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

A few milestones games

Adam Treloar 250th AFL game
Lachy Bramble 50th AFL game
Lachie McNeil 50th game for the club

Vandermeer gotta be the luckiest guy getting around. The bloke barely tackles, barely kicked goals and barely even touches it. His impact on the game is completely minimal and I don't buy into the bull*hit stats that he's the best repeat sprinter on the ground or whatever. Clutching at straws if that's the best argument for keeping him in

Our fitness guy deserves a raise. No change after a five day break is impressive.

Daniel Duvnjak-Zaknich. Got him from GWS after they had a similar run from mid year into a prelim with stronger running power. Our form might be him playing a big part too that could be going unsung.

I've been very impressed with McNeil since he has come back in. His defensive pressure has been very noticeable.

Unfortunately he still looks like a first gamer every time he has the ball in his hands but after four years on the list and now 50 AFL games its probably who he is always going to be. If he keeps bringing it like he has pressure wise we can probably allow for him to be the 22nd player in the team. Hope he keeps it up.

Like many of us, I gave up on McNeil about mid season. I thought that he never did enough and what he did do was error ridden. Recently, he's shown more intent which was necessary if he was to ever be considered again. I'm still not fully convinced but at least the signs have been better.

Like many of us, I gave up on McNeil about mid season. I thought that he never did enough and what he did do was error ridden. Recently, he's shown more intent which was necessary if he was to ever be considered again. I'm still not fully convinced but at least the signs have been better.
His practice games shows what he can be capable of as small forward. He just needs to find to bring that when playing in the seniors.

He’s a confidence player. I think he’s actually grown each week, but every time I see him with the ball I can’t help but think he’s doing everything he can not to be dropped again, which isn’t a good head space to be in. Even little things like not kicking the run in goal until the last second because he wanted to pass it off to Rhylee West, just kick the goal young fella.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a reminder that of the 135 players to have played all 19 games this year, Vandermeer is the lowest ranked (Player Ratings) of them all and yes Player Ratings include pressure as part of its formula.

I know I carry on a lot about VDM being in the team, but it just boggles my mind how he keeps getting a spot, let alone being listed on the field, while players like Garcia can barely get a game and are often relegated to the sub.

Source: Wheelo

He's a much better option than either of his likely replacements. Jones and Clarke.

Both of whom strike me as busts.

He's a much better option than either of his likely replacements. Jones and Clarke.

Both of whom strike me as busts.

These are the first positions the club should be recruiting for. VDM and McSteal can't kick accurately for goal, set shot or on the run, limited involvements, fumble most of their possessions, don't really tackle with any intent. The guys who can't get selected for their spots are even more losable. There are 4 list changes staring at us at the end of the season.

Just a reminder that of the 135 players to have played all 19 games this year, Vandermeer is the lowest ranked (Player Ratings) of them all and yes Player Ratings include pressure as part of its formula.

I know I carry on a lot about VDM being in the team, but it just boggles my mind how he keeps getting a spot, let alone being listed on the field, while players like Garcia can barely get a game and are often relegated to the sub.

Source: Wheelo

Even if the stats do include pressure, that's no guarantee that Champion Data are measuring or weighting it perfectly. I don't rate VDM much as a player, but first principles tells me that he must be doing something right for our coaching team to keep him in the side. And given the form we are in right now, I have reason to suspect that our coaches know at least as much as the bean counters at Champion Data.

My thoughts being at the round one game, fourth quarter aside when we seemed to not be as desperate, we at least matched them in general play but lacked structure going forward. We were very wasteful.

I'm not sure if my opinion is shared, but I came away from that game thinking we had at least matched them in the midfield which is an area Melbourne had dominated us at in some of the recent meetings.

Looking at the full time stats, we matched them for F50 entries (53 each) and only lost clearances by two. I suspect we would have been well ahead in those categories half way through the third qtr. It was such a frustrating game to watch.

There was a lot said prior to the season starting that Melbourne were advantaged by playing in 'round zero' but I don't subscribe to that theory. That's not why we lost.

The Melbourne loss in round one very much reminded me of the Essendon match a few weeks later. We were very wasteful in both games. I feel our forward line is functioning A LOT better since round eight.

Some of the reasons why I think we should win:

1. We matched them in general play at the MCG in round one (final 40 minutes aside when our pressure rating dropped),
2. Our forward line is functioning A LOT better than it was in round one,
3. Melbourne are inconsistent and certainly unreliable compared to previous seasons,
4. Importantly the game is at Marvel.

I'm going to tip us by 41 points, and I don't often tip us, especially by such a margin. I'm four clear in tipping so I need to start being smart about the way I go about things. Usually I like to tip against us to hedge with my emotions.
I'm with you... I think we win this quite comfortably.

2019/20 is ancient history

2021 is where melbourne went past us in terms of how they play the game, and we have been their bunnies every since.

But I take a lot from our win in geelong where we turned the tables on them so thoroughly.

However, I suspect opposition coaches are right now picking apart our last 3 games, so... lets see how it stands up
The thing is they’ve generally been a bit better than us since 2021, so it’s not that big a deal to me. It’s when they knock you off even when they’re down that you get concerned.

I get nervous whenever we’re the favourite but I think they’re well down on where they were the last few times we’ve played them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 21 changes: Footscray v Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back