Round 21 changes: Footscray v Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Like many of us, I gave up on McNeil about mid season. I thought that he never did enough and what he did do was error ridden. Recently, he's shown more intent which was necessary if he was to ever be considered again. I'm still not fully convinced but at least the signs have been better.
I don’t mind him as a small pressure forward but really have not liked it when we roll him up on to a wing.

I'm not a huge fan of both Buku and Coffield in with Lobb and Jones. If Dale gets tagged it really makes our ball use down back shaky. Lobb and Jones are prone to the odd nervy moment. Would feel more comfortable with Freijah in for Buku/Coffield.

Got away with it last week against a tall Sydney forward line. Melbourne much more nimble.

I'm not a huge fan of both Buku and Coffield in with Lobb and Jones. If Dale gets tagged it really makes our ball use down back shaky. Lobb and Jones are prone to the odd nervy moment. Would feel more comfortable with Freijah in for Buku/Coffield.

Got away with it last week against a tall Sydney forward line. Melbourne much more nimble.
Duryea and Bramble are also doing a great job.

Looks like its between Caleb and Garcia for the sub. Personally I hope CD is sub again, think Garcia can have a real impact tomorrow night. Freijah looks to be next in line for either Buku or Coffield while Sanders & Macrae are fighting for the CD and Garcia spots.
We’re getting towards the point of the season where Bevo will be looking to settle the team, including the sub role.

CD would have to be the number 1 contender. He’s not the explosive game changer but he’s a mature wise head that can play multiple positions on the ground.

We’re getting towards the point of the season where Bevo will be looking to settle the team, including the sub role.

CD would have to be the number 1 contender. He’s not the explosive game changer but he’s a mature wise head that can play multiple positions on the ground.
Personally, if it was between CD and Macrae, I’d probably go Macrae but it’s like choosing between your kids. Freijah has played most of the year and deserves a spot as well. There’s still a long way to go and a week is a long time in footy.

Personally, if it was between CD and Macrae, I’d probably go Macrae but it’s like choosing between your kids. Freijah has played most of the year and deserves a spot as well. There’s still a long way to go and a week is a long time in footy.
I think JOD and Freijah can make their way back in for finals. Tough for the rest. If Garcia holds his form he'll make it very hard for Macrae, Sanders and Daniel. Not sold on Daniel as the sub, or Macrae really for that matter. Ultimately, Garcia and Freijah might be competing for a starting role vs the sub role in finals ...... should we make it.

I think JOD and Freijah can make their way back in for finals. Tough for the rest. If Garcia holds his form he'll make it very hard for Macrae, Sanders and Daniel. Not sold on Daniel as the sub, or Macrae really for that matter. Ultimately, Garcia and Freijah might be competing for a starting role vs the sub role in finals ...... should we make it.

Harmes / JJ would be a good sub

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll have our revenge tonight. Boys will go down into the Melbourne rooms after we beat them and pelt iceblocks at them (lead by Harmesy again but this time for us).
Melbourne do have a lot of really unlikable players. Fritsch, Lever, Pickett, May, Oliver to name a few.

Their key defenders usually destroy ours. May always gives Naughton a bath but he might be forced to play deeper on JUH this game. You'd expect McDonald to go to Darcy. They might even send a small defender to Naughton to follow him up the field to try and free up Lever.

I want to see Westy go to Lever. That's a matchup I'd pay to see.

Bloody excited for tonights game. Have rarely felt this way in the last few years. Melbourne are our worst side and have been for a long time now. They will show up.

No changes is nice to see generally, but coming off the 5 day break could be slightly concerning.

Melbourne do have a lot of really unlikable players. Fritsch, Lever, Pickett, May, Oliver to name a few.

Their key defenders usually destroy ours. May always gives Naughton a bath but he might be forced to play deeper on JUH this game. You'd expect McDonald to go to Darcy. They might even send a small defender to Naughton to follow him up the field to try and free up Lever.

I think we might see West on Lever, because I suspect they’ll figure using a smaller defender on Darcy would be no worse than Lever and will want Lever free.

I think we might see West on Lever, because I suspect they’ll figure using a smaller defender on Darcy would be no worse than Lever and will want Lever free.
I think we'll see something like McDonald on Darcy, May on JUH & McVee on Naughton to leave Lever 'free' on West. Obviously that Naughton matchup is favourable to us but he's is playing as more of a lead up between the arcs so I think they will sacrifice a smaller type there.

Our transition from back pocket to wing / half back to half forward becomes very easy if teams play a small on Naughton. I’m very happy if it plays out that way.

So many unsolved mysteries lie ahead.
If we make finals, & if we get & remain healthy:
  • Do we discount Macrae’s previous finals form? Both series where we played multiple finals Macrae was in our best few across the finals. My answer: I hope not because I’m such a Macrae fan (my favourite current player), but I think he’ll struggle to make it in.
  • Do we continue with the large backline? Both Khamis & Coffield deserve to be playing. But is there only room for one, & do we put a more mobile medium in like Freijah. My answer: I feel like the balance is a touch off. I would play Coffield & Freijah.
  • Is the real question Khamis vs Coffield vs O’Donnell? Bevo loves J’Od. Do we play 1,2, or 3 of these? I feel he may be thinking of having two of the three in the finals team rather than playing another medium. I wouldn’t be surprised if that included O’Donnell.
  • Can we trust Vandermeer & McNeil in such a high pressure situation? I think Vandermeer did ok in 2021. Both of these players have shown signs of the pressure being too much for them. My answer: I’m not sure I’d feel comfortable with both in the team, & I feel like one is holding a place for Harmes if he gets fit.
  • The sub conundrum, who is our best sub? Candidates at the moment are Macrae, Daniel, McNeil, Garcia, Sanders, & Freijah. Maybe Vandermeer. My answer: I don’t know. It’s a hard one. Bevo may even make O’Donnell/Khamis sub.
  • Where does Daniel fit? My answer: The backline has too many options & midfield isn’t his go at that level. If he fits, it’s either sub or forward. As much as it’s about speed, I think it’s equally about CDs cleanliness & composure seems to have vanished. What I would give for the old CD to cleanly pick up the ball and hit a target.

There’s probably fitty billionty other questions, and this is probably the wrong thread for it. But that’s where my mind is wandering…so I don’t have to think about the prospect of losing to the Dees again.

Vandermeer gotta be the luckiest guy getting around. The bloke barely tackles, barely kicked goals and barely even touches it. His impact on the game is completely minimal and I don't buy into the bull*hit stats that he's the best repeat sprinter on the ground or whatever. Clutching at straws if that's the best argument for keeping him in
I listened to the ESPN footy podcast and Vanderemeer has accumulated the third greatest total KM's across the season at a "sprint speed" in the list.

I'm not saying the bloke plays well or isn't a fringe player but it's clear he has a role in the team that is distinctly unique to how the 21 other selected players play, and that balances the team. Furthermore, accepting he hasn't played well the last week or two, he played four or five quite week games in the opening 8 or so weeks of the season and still kept his spot. His form is better since, if he wasn't being dropped then, he isn't being dropped now with better form.

If it’s in the air, Lever would easily account for West.

But if it’s on the ground, there is a good chance that Lever will end up crying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 21 changes: Footscray v Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back