Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't agree less.

I'm offended like everyone else but this has been a good season this far, it won't be if we miss out on finals again in a freak-year of footy - but we are the best we've looked since maybe mid-2014.
It's so easily our best season since then. Especially when you look at those 4 away games we should have won. We're playing much more consistent football that can hold up against basically anyone, but we just lack the maturity to get it over the line. That and the riduclously close season jsut makes everything so much more infuriating.

I've only glanced at the comments here, so forgive me if this has been raised earlier.

I thought that all the Dockers players were being sucked into the contest leaving 2 or 3 Essendon players free and standing just off the contest waiting for the hand pass and the opportunity to run away with the ball.

A couple of other things I noticed was our poor tackling and also a lot of stupid handpasses. Why on earth would you handpass to a teammate who is surrounded with opponents, is standing flat footed and then is only about 600 mls away (and it happened on multiple occasions).

I don't think we ever had any crumbers within 20 meters of our goal. If it didn't land in the hands of our Key's then it felt straight into the laps of the Essendon defenders.
Got me stuffed where Emmett and Freddy were hiding, hardly seen at ground level.
Freddy needs to be doing tackling drills every session. So standoffish.

I've only glanced at the comments here, so forgive me if this has been raised earlier.

I thought that all the Dockers players were being sucked into the contest leaving 2 or 3 Essendon players free and standing just off the contest waiting for the hand pass and the opportunity to run away with the ball.

A couple of other things I noticed was our poor tackling and also a lot of stupid handpasses. Why on earth would you handpass to a teammate who is surrounded with opponents, is standing flat footed and then is only about 600 mls away (and it happened on multiple occasions).
Essendon ‘cheat’ as in they wait on the outside. If it goes their way, they win and get forward if it doesn’t, they’re caught and teams easily attack and score.

Fremantle just don’t know how to set up against these teams

Kick ins - We need a plan B.

We currently have 2 variations on the same plan A
1) Ryan looks around, makes it seem like he's assessing his options, then bangs it to the back edge corner of the center square where we almost never mark it or win it at ground level.
2) Ryan chips it 17m to a player (keeping in mind you could literally just run to that exact same spot) where said player assesses their options, then bangs it 7m further than our first variation and possibly closer to the boundary where we almost never take a mark or win it at ground level, but sometimes get it out of bounds 80m out from goal.

We do sometimes have a pulled kick version to Cox about 55m out right on the boundary but didn't attempt that today as they were manning up.

Kick ins should be better. It's ball in your hands and something you can work on.

We have NOTHING.
Spot on! Been going on for years.

On replay why the **** did we sub off Erasmus?

Also that too far call pissed me off - I swear we have been done 5-6 times this year for it and I can't remember it happening for us very often?

Very promising signs with Jye's kicking though.

When Treacy got that knock it seemed like he had to play closer to goal when he came back on. Maybe that was part of the reason why Jackson didn't get more time in the ruck in the last half of the last quarter. It seemed like it affected the connection into the forward line coming out of defence too.
This was it in a nutshell. One of the huge things Treacy has been doing for us this year, is the reliable relief mark (get out of jail to steal from Mongrel Punt) coming out of defense when space was limited. No coincidence that after the heavy knock, he wasn't moving as well and we struggled to get it out. We were far enough ahead and it would've taken the sting out of Essendon's fightback if he'd been able to continue it effectively. Does show the need for someone else to step up and it's disappointing that Jackson and Darcy aren't doing this as reliably and forcefully as Treacy.

It all points to a need to develop Jackson's marking; get him 80% as good as Cyclone and we'll be very hard to beat.

The too far against Erasmus was a joke - on that basis how about Merrett/Durham in the final cba….

Anyway, look when Josh Tracy was lying on the ground with the doc going over his knee… the despair I felt was a lot worse than losing.

Thank goodness he’s ok, we lost our way when he went off and lacked some composure through the middle.

Hard lessons being learned

Essendon ‘cheat’ as in they wait on the outside. If it goes their way, they win and get forward if it doesn’t, they’re caught and teams easily attack and score.

Fremantle just don’t know how to set up against these teams
Best way to counter this is commit extra to the contest (Collingwood do/did this superbly) - have to win it though, otherwise you're boned. Today we got bested by Merret and Parish. Disappointing to say the least.

The too far against Erasmus was a joke - on that basis how about Merrett/Durham in the final cba….

Anyway, look when Josh Tracy was lying on the ground with the doc going over his knee… the despair I felt was a lot worse than losing.

Thank goodness he’s ok, we lost our way when he went off and lacked some composure through the middle.

Yeah and that was pivotal. He hit Treacy 25/30 out dead centre. We go 6 clear at that point and I think it's the game. They go up the other end and they're hanging on. Not why we lost, but odd that we've been hit for it so many times.

Erasmus doesn’t seem to have smarts. That was such a heart sinker. Absolutely had them on the ropes at that point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this was the flattest I’ve been all year.
Even the Eagles loss on the back of 2 close losses I was thinking it happens.

But we’ve been playing well. Chance for top 2 and definitely top 4. Chance to bury a teams finals aspirations. Time to lock ourselves into finals. Serong’s 100th.
Up 25 with a lovely long range goal by Amiss. Seemingly on top. Then we stopped. Allowed them in. Then Amiss nails a massive clutch goal to at minimum give us 2 points which seeing as we had a good percentage would’ve meant something. Then we lose.

It also adds MCG ‘demons’ to the players. A belief that they bottle it.

I mean we’re literally so close to being THE team but we just shit the bed.

Gee Hayden Young got burned in that centre bounce. A tap over the back and he’s gone.

Genuinely interested in your thoughts on Ras today freo_leo29

I'm not quite as down as you but I thought today suggested there's an AFL inside mid there
He was actually building throughout the game. Very unfair sub.
Thought Chapman should’ve been subbed for Aish. Just lack of height.

What does that mean for Erasmus’ confidence ? Either sub in or subbed out. It’s not a nice feeling playing like that. Always looking over the shoulder

Another captain obvious

Another sheriff account?

Another w***er trying to show everyone the way. Jog on weirdo
Neatly demonstrating my point. Thanks champ. Go swear at your parrot. Or abuse someone on the internet, whatever 😂😂

I thought we controlled the game pretty comfortably from about half way through the second quarter till the last 10 minutes.

They were getting plenty of ball but we handled it with good team defense and hurt them on the rebound.

We should have buried them. There were some very uncharacteristic errors from Clark, Chapman and others turning the ball over.

Darcy didn’t look right, Cox was poor on the ground ball and a lot of our players seemed to be slipping at crucial times.

Thought Draper was excellent & Ryan did pretty well against a rampant Stringer who was probably the difference in the end.

The forwards were superb (other than Fred who had another shocker). The midfield not so much. I hope they figure out how we got so badly torched at critical moments.

Young was keeping us in it for a while.

Great to see the set shot kicking clinical from Amiss, Treacy & Sturt.

Heartbreaking but not all doom & gloom. We just aren’t quite mature enough to hold our composure at times.

Other than Dogs, Brisbane every team is dropping crucial games at the moment. It’s so bloody even. Sydney looks gone, Carlton are cracking without DeKonig, Geelong are beatable, GWS hanging on, Port coming good.

What a year!

Yeah we win our last 3 games we make top 4. As that will get us up to 3rd we basically play the 3 teams above us.

Top 2 is probably shot though.

But in saying that if the swans lose to Collingwood and Essendon we win our last 3.

We finish 2nd
Sydney may drop games too.
Collingwood, Essendon then Adelaide.

Brisbane are flag favourites at this point. Absolutely charging

I thought we controlled the game pretty comfortably from about half way through the second quarter till the last 10 minutes.

They were getting plenty of ball but we handled it with good team defense and hurt them on the rebound.

We should have buried them. There were some very uncharacteristic errors from Clark, Chapman and others turning the ball over.

Darcy didn’t look right, Cox was poor on the ground ball and a lot of our players seemed to be slipping at crucial times.

Thought Draper was excellent & Ryan did pretty well against a rampant Stringer who was probably the difference in the end.

The forwards were superb (other than Fred who had another shocker). The midfield not so much. I hope they figure out how we got so badly torched at critical moments.

Young was keeping us in it for a while.

Great to see the set shot kicking clinical from Amiss, Treacy & Sturt.

Heartbreaking but not all doom & gloom. We just aren’t quite mature enough to hold our composure at times.

Other than Dogs, Brisbane every team is dropping crucial games at the moment. It’s so bloody even. Sydney looks gone, Carlton are cracking without DeKonig, Geelong are beatable, GWS hanging on, Port coming good.

What a year!

I reckon it's only E Shed and Snuff who are the remaining evenly measured posters on this board, maybe a few others. Keep posting and restore balance in the Force.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back