Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a bad loss being up 25 with 10 minutes left. But at the end of the day we are still so young and were without 3 of our most experienced leaders today Pearce, Walters and Fyfe. The group just needs more time and experience. I believe in the talent we have and that they can and will get there but they just aren't quite ready yet.

I hope Darcy was carrying something because if he wasn't the coaches need to pull him aside and ask him if he's serious about this thing or not. Needs to get in much better condition than he currently is.

Forward line was all class for the most part which we haven't been able to say too often over the years. What Treacy and Amiss are doing is ridiculous for 2 young lads in their 4th and 3rd seasons.

Midfield doesn't look as potent without Fyfe and Johnson.

All in all it sucked to lose like that especially after Jye gave us hope and slotted that clutch goal but it's gone. Have to move on.

That's a bad loss being up 25 with 10 minutes left. But at the end of the day we are still so young and were without 3 of our most experienced leaders today Pearce, Walters and Fyfe. The group just needs more time and experience. I believe in the talent we have and that they can and will get there but they just aren't quite ready yet.

I hope Darcy was carrying something because if he wasn't the coaches need to pull him aside and ask him if he's serious about this thing or not. Needs to get in much better condition than he currently is.

Forward line was all class for the most part which we haven't been able to say too often over the years. What Treacy and Amiss are doing is ridiculous for 2 young lads in their 4th and 3rd seasons.

Midfield doesn't look as potent without Fyfe and Johnson.

All in all it sucked to lose like that especially after Jye gave us hope and slotted that clutch goal but it's gone. Have to move on.
The forwards kept the team in it. That’s a long long time since that happened

Gee Hayden Young got burned in that centre bounce. A tap over the back and he’s gone.

Yeah he’s actually standing to the wrong side of Merret. He’s left the lane open down the outside. Body contact to stop the run should’ve been done.

The only direction Merret could get a free clear run.
Really poor.

But Darcy needs to be jumping into Draper with a big knee, making contact, doing anything to stop a clear hit, dropping that ball at his feet

Umm…how is it possible for two small forwards in Emmett and Freddy to not only have only 9 possessions between them, but ZERO tackles?

Zero…Stringer had ten tackles.

One of them has to go. If Cooper Simpson couldn’t do better than that I’ll eat my own arse

Umm…how is it possible for two small forwards in Emmett and Freddy to not only have only 9 possessions between them, but ZERO tackles?

One of them has to go. If Cooper Simpson couldn’t do better than that I’ll eat my own arse
Emmett looks uncoordinated in everything he does.

I cringe everytime his near the ball his disposal rarely ends up being efficient.

The WC game seems like an outlier

He was actually building throughout the game. Very unfair sub.
Thought Chapman should’ve been subbed for Aish. Just lack of height.

What does that mean for Erasmus’ confidence ? Either sub in or subbed out. It’s not a nice feeling playing like that. Always looking over the shoulder
He wasn't horrible.

That 1 moment though he would love back when he ran too far. I wonder if that made JL pull the trigger.

He was subbed after that.

He looked dejected getting subbed.

Gee Hayden Young got burned in that centre bounce. A tap over the back and he’s gone.
I don't think I can stomach watching that last centre bounce again.

But I would love to know what was discussed. What the plan was with 36 seconds left.

A draw was as good as a win yesterday with our % over all the teams on 52 pts.

Surely letting Merritt run through was the worst scenario possible.

If we were in front by 1 point and not level would anything have changed structurally in the middle.

He wasn't horrible.

That 1 moment though he would love back when he ran too far. I wonder if that made JL pull the trigger.

He was subbed after that.

He looked dejected getting subbed.

There’s still too much of the headless chook about him for me.
Fyfe & Johnson for Ras & Emmett & we win this comfortably.

Emmett had the bone crunching tackle on Laverde (who looked shaky after). Was deemed dangerous so presumably didn’t register a stat.

That whole section of play was weird. Someone marked it & had the ball taken off them for something off ball when they would have been taking a shot on goal then Emmett wins a HTB only for the umpire to reverse it for the tackle.

Watched the game from level 4 of the G. Very disappointing outcome but I thought the better team in the day won.
  • demolished at centre clearance. Darcy - WTF? Is he fit? Draper looked like prime Dean Cox at times against him. Have never regarded draper as a serious AFL player and so that was ALARMING from a freo POV.
  • Serong has a poor first half. Did the 100 game thing get to him?
  • Erasmus, too slow making a decision. Did some ok things. The turnover for overcarrying was awful and the correct decision by the ump. Was obvious to everyone in the stadium. Dumb footy at this level. Kick the ****ing ball deep i50 if you are running out of time FFS.
  • forwards were great. Sturt, Treacy and Amiss all clutch.
  • Ryan was beaten sick by Stringer.
  • could we have deliberately done a 6-6-6 infringement at the end and got a ball up and locked it away for a draw? We were destroyed on centrebounce downs all day. A draw was much better for us than them. Any signs of pragmatism from our coaches box at all? Every man and his dog knew then bombers were going to win that final clearance they had destroyed us all day in that area.

Fyfe was a huge loss. Anyone saying his finished can get in the bin.

Aish is just so meh. What is the point of having such a non impact player as a sub?

Also we are not getting enough from Banfield emmet and Frederick recently. None of these players are good enough to be locked into the 22 and undroppable. I think we are still a long way off and the likes of baker and Bolton can’t come quick enough. People who want us to take 3 draft picks - you are deluded. Expect nothing more from those picks than the type of inconsistent hot and cold stuff we have seen from Erasmus and Johnson from 2022- 2024. Except replace that period with 2025-2028 of its 3 new first round picks from picks 10-20 . That’s not what we need to win a flag. We need experience and leadership and big game players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do we only get comments about “smarts” when Ras takes an extra step , but not when Sharp etc do? Bit weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The "too far" rule is more a guideline than strict interpretation. Shirley.

No one would've battered an eyelid if either of those weren't called. In fact just the opposite, as that dash and run is an exciting part of the game.

Certainly the amount of times that gets called would be minimal and the expectation of players about how far they could run should be longer than those two calls. Plenty ran further yesterday, no doubt.

I'd be very interested in seeing the stats on who and when those sorts of "too far" calls are made against.

The "too far" rule is more a guideline than strict interpretation. Shirley.

No one would've battered an eyelid if either of those weren't called. In fact just the opposite, as that dash and run is an exciting part of the game.

Certainly the amount of times that gets called would be minimal and the expectation of players about how far they could run should be longer than those two calls. Plenty ran further yesterday, no doubt.

I'd be very interested in seeing the stats on who and when those sorts of "too far" calls are made against.
Erasmus definitely ran too far. In the ground it was like watching a slow motion blunder. You could see it was about to happen in the seconds before it did. Even the few freo fans around me were screaming at him to just throw it on the boot.
He’s such an indecisive player Neil. Has some good traits but if you can’t make a quick decision in modern AFL footy you will be ruthlessly exposed. He’s got a long way to go.

I don't think I can stomach watching that last centre bounce again.

But I would love to know what was discussed. What the plan was with 36 seconds left.

A draw was as good as a win yesterday with our % over all the teams on 52 pts.

Surely letting Merritt run through was the worst scenario possible.

If we were in front by 1 point and not level would anything have changed structurally in the middle.
Unfortunately we banked on winning the clearance and going down our end to win the game and at the very least keep it a draw. Although based on how our mids were getting smashed most of yesterday in the clearances they probably in hindsight should of gone with the safe option and secure the draw

Watched the game from level 4 of the G. Very disappointing outcome but I thought the better team in the day won.
  • demolished at centre clearance. Darcy - WTF? Is he fit? Draper looked like prime Dean Cox at times against him. Have never regarded draper as a serious AFL player and so that was ALARMING from a freo POV.
  • Serong has a poor first half. Did the 100 game thing get to him?
  • Erasmus, too slow making a decision. Did some ok things. The turnover for overcarrying was awful and the correct decision by the ump. Was obvious to everyone in the stadium. Dumb footy at this level. Kick the ****ing ball deep i50 if you are running out of time FFS.
  • forwards were great. Sturt, Treacy and Amiss all clutch.
  • Ryan was beaten sick by Stringer.
  • could we have deliberately done a 6-6-6 infringement at the end and got a ball up and locked it away for a draw? We were destroyed on centrebounce downs all day. A draw was much better for us than them. Any signs of pragmatism from our coaches box at all? Every man and his dog knew then bombers were going to win that final clearance they had destroyed us all day in that area.

Fyfe was a huge loss. Anyone saying his finished can get in the bin.

Aish is just so meh. What is the point of having such a non impact player as a sub?
maybe its the purple glasses on me, but it seems as if our mids get scragged and held at every contest, super evident in the last quarter for mine where often a player would recieve the ball already having their arm held. if the dons are able to get away with that we need to start doing it right back to them. dont give them the space or opportunity for those clean clearances they had all day.

but just have to reiterate, the first chance we have at touching the ball is the ruck contest and darcy was pushed around like a child, did not jump at the ball and gave up the contest straight away. really really poor performance

Erasmus definitely ran too far. In the ground it was like watching a slow motion blunder. You could see it was about to happen in the seconds before it did. Even the few freo fans around me were screaming at him to just throw it on the boot.
He’s such an indecisive player Neil. Has some good traits but if you can’t make a quick decision in modern AFL footy you will be ruthlessly exposed. He’s got a long way to go.
how longs the centre square? he ran from about the middle to not even the edge of the square if memory is correct, would have been just about his length id say and to call that is harsh

And FWIW Brodie would have played better than Erasmus and prevented them winning the ball so easily.

Who the F**K thought it was a good idea to put Erasmus on Merrett???

Mids should really apologise for yesterday, they lifted in patches but were outworked around the ground. Hurts to get beat by a lard ass like Stringer in the forward line..

how longs the centre square? he ran from about the middle to not even the edge of the square if memory is correct, would have been just about his length id say and to call that is harsh
Was definitely too far, had time to take a math quiz..

The game review by the club will be alarming especially in the last. So many dumb errors. Many of them unforced too!
I still don’t understand why Sharp would go anywhere near the boundary with his long kick? We had to bring that more central.
When you roll the dice you need to roll them properly.
Don’t get me started on Clark!
That’s before we even talk about center bounces and defensive issues.
There will be so much to look at.

The thing is we don’t seem to be learning because we’ e now been pipped 4 times.

Although we credit fitness are we actually? Are we light on for rotations?

I’m still pissed.

Far Out.

You can be angry, pissed off, yell, scream, whatever. That last quarter was putrid. No pressure, lack of class when it mattered.

Stop playing the man. Stop acting like children.

Or I WILL make you all wear the get-along-shirt.
You are a lot more tolerant than the Sydney mods

I got a day off for asking if we could have Warner as it didn’t look like they really needed him

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back