Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure, Erasmus did run too far. But **** me dead that happens literally dozens of times every weekend and is never paid. THAT is the frustrating thing about it. In fact, it gets paid so infrequently I legit wonder if they've changed the rule to 20m without a bounce instead of the traditional 15m.

The dangerous tackle call against Emmett was pathetic. Laverde was just standing there and Emmett's momentum took them to ground. AND Laverde had an arm free anyway. Should not be a suspension.

Another one was a late dodgy htb against maybe Aish. Even the commentator called it as "that's high contact,.." but no, it was inexplicably HTB against us.

Yes, I'm still angry about this bloody game. Very poor to allow that easy clearance with less than a minute left.

Well I think Sturt has cemented his place in the team now. Probably gone past a couple of other forwards. Banfield too has found a spot, though I realize he's not always playing forward. We are missing the forward pressure that we used to get from players like Ballas and Mayne. Even some of that would be good.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
If Banfield's gonna stay in hopefully he can fix up his atrocious decision making quick smart. It really has got to a crippling level of late.

Sure, Erasmus did run too far. But **** me dead that happens literally dozens of times every weekend and is never paid. THAT is the frustrating thing about it. In fact, it gets paid so infrequently I legit wonder if they've changed the rule to 20m without a bounce instead of the traditional 15m.

The dangerous tackle call against Emmett was pathetic. Laverde was just standing there and Emmett's momentum took them to ground. AND Laverde had an arm free anyway. Should not be a suspension.

Another one was a late dodgy htb against maybe Aish. Even the commentator called it as "that's high contact,.." but no, it was inexplicably HTB against us.

Yes, I'm still angry about this bloody game. Very poor to allow that easy clearance with less than a minute left.
Wasn't one of Darcy's best games that's for sure. Draper really did a number on us and I rate him pretty lowly in the ruck stakes...soooooo frustrating.

If Banfield's gonna stay in hopefully he can fix up his atrocious decision making quick smart. It really has got to a crippling level of late.
So the kick inboard to switta that set up Treacys goal wasn't good enough for you. Sure, there was few disposals could of been better, but that goes for alot of others. He has hit up players regular on the lead lately.

His defensive efforts , esp in the back half and wing in recent games been pretty decent

Well who's woken up as flat as a pancake today? Sucks not having Duffield on SEN today as well, where will I get my balanced post-mortem views from now?

The 'young team' mantra just doesn't fly this time around - 25pts up with 10 mins to go makes sense for a completely brand new team, but we've got enough experienced/skilled players to have run that game out.

Oh well, it's done and there's nothing any of us can do rather than make a choice to support the club this weekend by going to the footy or watching it on the telly.

I've never liked the 'this was the loss we needed to have' mantra, but maybe it's as close to it as we've seen. We are moving in the right direction, our forward line is humming, our defence has off-days and we need better leadership when Pearce isn't there but we don't have chronic issues down back. Mostly it's fixing the midfield issues, handling pressure better, and maybe JL needs to change with his conservatism at the selection table - even blind freddy could see subbing Erasmus for Aish was an absurd decision.

Three major tests with 3-weeks to go, it's not like we have to wait for other results to work for us - it's up to us what we want to achieve and it starts with winning games.

Well who's woken up as flat as a pancake today? Sucks not having Duffield on SEN today as well, where will I get my balanced post-mortem views from now?

The 'young team' mantra just doesn't fly this time around - 25pts up with 10 mins to go makes sense for a completely brand new team, but we've got enough experienced/skilled players to have run that game out.

Oh well, it's done and there's nothing any of us can do rather than make a choice to support the club this weekend by going to the footy or watching it on the telly.

I've never liked the 'this was the loss we needed to have' mantra, but maybe it's as close to it as we've seen. We are moving in the right direction, our forward line is humming, our defence has off-days and we need better leadership when Pearce isn't there but we don't have chronic issues down back. Mostly it's fixing the midfield issues, handling pressure better, and maybe JL needs to change with his conservatism at the selection table - even blind freddy could see subbing Erasmus for Aish was an absurd decision.

Three major tests with 3-weeks to go, it's not like we have to wait for other results to work for us - it's up to us what we want to achieve and it starts with winning games.
I had a lot of trouble falling asleep last night but woke up ok. All the moments circling my mind sigh :(. After a night of moping can always see that it's never as bad as it feels in the moment. Very happy that we have a great forward line now and I'm confident we can build around that.

Umm…how is it possible for two small forwards in Emmett and Freddy to not only have only 9 possessions between them, but ZERO tackles?

Zero…Stringer had ten tackles.

One of them has to go. If Cooper Simpson couldn’t do better than that I’ll eat my own arse

Emmett had a tackle, then the umpires called it dangerous tackle when it wasn't at all.

Now that 24 hours have passed and emotions have somewhat dulled:

I wont sit here and pretend I was sorry to see the Bombers take the game away from you - but you guys were on the rough end of some atrocious home-cooking yesterday, and this play was absolutely the worst. That run-down-from-behind tackle is a HTB free all day, every day in any other stadium in the country. I wish both our coaches would come out and call the umpiring dept on their crap when stuff like this happens. Its ridiculous.

It was called holding the ball...by one of the umpires. And the other called it dangerous. I am not sure how they work out which call takes precedence.

Was it Caldwell minding Serong yesterday? If so, yet again Serong's tagger gets voted BoG :(

Essendon v Fremantle​

10 Jye Caldwell (ESS)
5 Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
4 Dylan Shiel (ESS)
4 Hayden Young (FRE)
3 Jake Stringer (ESS)
3 Mason Redman (ESS)
1 Darcy Parish (ESS)

Brayshaw continuing his late surge.

So the kick inboard to switta that set up Treacys goal wasn't good enough for you. Sure, there was few disposals could of been better, but that goes for alot of others. He has hit up players regular on the lead lately.

His defensive efforts , esp in the back half and wing in recent games been pretty decent
It's a ratio thing. He's been littering his disposals with real momentum-stoppers for weeks now.

I’m still struggling to understand how in the space of 15 minutes, 22 blokes forget how to play football. Like - forget how to do their job. The job they were quite competent at 15 minutes earlier, quite good at even. I mean - seriously how?
I listened to all of of the game on the radio working in the yard right into the last quarter.

The very instant I went inside and put the TV on it all went to hell. So it's my fault.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Schofield said we are mentally immature.
We are a pre season off of challenging for a cup.
Pretty balanced.
We are pretty young.
Missing fyfe and Walters, the older heads made the difference imo.

Ps. If we had Brodie playing inside mid we would have strafed them bombers.

Do we think Walker could play a tagging role on a smaller midfielder like Merrett? He has the size and speed but idk if he has the footy intelligence. Walker is great at shutting down small forwards so surely the same could apply to a midfielder? Maybe I'm being a bit too creative but I don't think Merrett gets away from Walker at the centre bounce like he did from Young yesterday.

Do we think Walker could play a tagging role on a smaller midfielder like Merrett? He has the size and speed but idk if he has the footy intelligence. Walker is great at shutting down small forwards so surely the same could apply to a midfielder? Maybe I'm being a bit too creative but I don't think Merrett gets away from Walker at the centre bounce like he did from Young yesterday.
I reckon both teams would've been looking for the win at that point. If Darcy had halved that contest more, it could've disrupted that backwards tap by Draper and it never gets to Merrett, who, after all, was rolling the dice.

It was called holding the ball...by one of the umpires. And the other called it dangerous. I am not sure how they work out which call takes precedence.

You would have to assume the dangerous tackle call takes precedence. The AFL would hate the look of a dangerous tackle call being overruled.

Amiss was absolutely scragged all day and basically just "play on, nothing to see here" from the umpires. I was stunned that he received a free in the final quarter for getting his head ripped off by the thug who was playing on him.

All that stuff is 100% inexperience. That's the whole point. Our youth doesn't mean we don't have the ability. It means we lack the intangible stuff you get from playing lots of games.

Experienced teams (like the Pies of 2022/23) don't lose from 25 points up because they know what to do in those situations. We don't. It's painfully easy to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back