Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow. The AFL really gave Emmett a game for what should have been holding the ball. Sometimes you just have to laugh šŸ¤£

Head hit the ground so it is a week. You don't have to like it but that is the world we are now living in.

Head hit the ground so it is a week. You don't have to like it but that is the world we are now living in.
It is virtually impossible to do a run down tackle then as you cant control if they hit their head. Nice one AFL.

All that stuff is 100% inexperience. That's the whole point. Our youth doesn't mean we don't have the ability. It means we lack the intangible stuff you get from playing lots of games.

Experienced teams (like the Pies of 2022/23) don't lose from 25 points up because they know what to do in those situations. We don't. It's painfully easy to see.
Yep. Average (younger) age will have a cumulative impact (more likelihood of... tackles not sticking, rash decision making, loss of concentration etc across the length of a game). It's also never 100% guarantee of an outcome either way, but rather tend to bend to a trend.

Wasn't one of Darcy's best games that's for sure. Draper really did a number on us and I rate him pretty lowly in the ruck stakes...soooooo frustrating.
Why didnt Jacko get ruck time in the last quarter as Darcy had used all his petrol and was a sitting duck for Draper

Coaching staff need a kick up the backside, as we;; as JLO is coaching at the moment i still fear he is very slow to reract to the trends of the match

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why didnt Jacko get ruck time in the last quarter as Darcy had used all his petrol and was a sitting duck for Draper

He was having to sit forward while Treacy was off the ground.

Walker had a great game I thought.

Has to have one of the biggest leaps for a little man. Mad hops!

Also people ragging on Ras are probably the same people who would rag on Sturt and now Sturty has cemented his spot in the side.

Not every player can come in and play top level all the time. Regardless of where they were drafted. People develop differently, Ras will be fine.

Saw Tom Mitchell do a breakdown of the last centre bounce. So, bombers did that same play against the crows.. ugh

Guys,
Stop saying we get better with Son Son back, hes's done.
Hopeless overhead, goes to ground, throwing his head back, going for unrealistic speccy's etc
Clogs up space to I reckon.
Doesn't touch it for three weeks then carry's on like a drongo when he snags one.
Jusy coz Emmets no good doesn't mean Son Son is the answer.
It's time.

Anyone else muttering while doing house stuff?

26 points up...grumble. Where's the defensive pressure...grumble. Raz didn't run to far...grumble..HTB to Emmett grumble. How did we let them waltz the ball out all day..grumble. Top 4 gone.. grumble.

Heh - 11 page Review thread after we dismantled the Demons by 50.

20 pages after a loss against the Don's though.

This place loves misery.

I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment of BF in general.

Bombers played a good game. Their handballs in close were elite and they were able to get out of stoppages quickly, which put pressure on our backs too often. We didn't put in the effort at times and we had a couple (Darcy and Cox) who looked underdone. Missing a half or more of a season will do that to you.

We won the clearances 35-32 but lost the most important clearances at the most critical times. The stats that tell me the story of the game were

Tackles lost 64-52
Inside 50s lost 59-44 (our defense was under siege. This was the mids fault for the most part)
Center clearances lost 15-11
Turnovers. Freo 61-Dons 53

It wasn't the cleanest game we had and I agree our defensive positioning at CBA wasn't great. At bounce down, we were fine.

1722867837242.png

At the hitout, Youngy didn't go with his man and was a step behind. This is where the game was lost in the dying second. He should have known Merrett was going to break towards goal. Why didn't he step in front? Why not go with him? I don't know...

1722868039469.png

But by then it was too late...

1722867906273.png

ZM streams with the ball towards goal, Clark HAS to leave his man to step up and - bloop - a handball goes over his head to his now free man. He kicks the point. Game over. IMO those people criticizing JL are misplacing their anger. There's no way JL wanted Youngy to let Merrett go free. That wasn't a "bad coaching move" or an example of JL lacking in any sense.

We got beat. Bombers season was on the line and played a good game. Kudos to them.

Sydney is in free fall. The blues are struggling. Dogs are surging. How the f*** is Port in 3rd? It's been a crazy season.

This cats game is even bigger now. I also think we can beat GWS on the road. Remember when the Dees were unbeatable a couple years ago? I do. I also remember beating them to start their free fall. Remember when the swans were unbeatable several games ago? Yep, I do too. I also remember us beating them at the SCG.

I do know I'm enjoying the ride. It makes for great games when you have something on the line. Could be worse. We could be Eagles fans. Ha! Stay positive peeps. This group's journey is only just beginning. Our forward line coach just turned down a senior coaching position with his old club because he WANTS to be here for what we're building. We've only just hit the on ramp to the premiership highway. There will be potholes on the highway but that just means you better strap in because these next 4-5 years are gonna be good. :)

Car Driving Fast GIF

Bombers played a good game. Their handballs in close were elite and they were able to get out of stoppages quickly, which put pressure on our backs too often. We didn't put in the effort at times and we had a couple (Darcy and Cox) who looked underdone. Missing a half or more of a season will do that to you.

We won the clearances 35-32 but lost the most important clearances at the most critical times. The stats that tell me the story of the game were

Tackles lost 64-52
Inside 50s lost 59-44 (our defense was under siege. This was the mids fault for the most part)

It wasn't the cleanest game we had and I agree our defensive positioning at CBA wasn't great. At bounce down, we were fine.

View attachment 2070025

At the hitout, Youngy didn't go with his man and was a step behind. This is where the game was lost in the dying second. He should have known Merrett was going to break towards goal. Why didn't he step in front? Why not go with him? I don't know...

View attachment 2070029

View attachment 2070026

ZM streams with the ball towards goal, Clark HAS to leave his man to step up and - bloop - a handball goes over his head to his now free man. He kicks the point. Game over. IMO those people criticizing JL are misplacing their anger. There's no way JL wanted Youngy to let Merrett go free. That wasn't a "bad coaching move" or an example of JL lacking in any sense.

We got beat. Bombers season was on the line and played a good game. Kudos to them.

Sydney is in free fall. The blues are struggling. Dogs are surging. How the f*** is Port in 3rd? It's been a crazy season.

This cats game is even bigger now. I also think we can beat GWS on the road. Remember when the Dees were unbeatable a couple years ago? I do. I also remember beating them to start their free fall. Remember when the swans were unbeatable several games ago? Yep, I do too. I also remember us beating them at the SCG.

I do know I'm enjoying the ride. It makes for great games when you have something on the line. Could be worse. We could be Eagles fans. Ha! Stay positive peeps. This group's journey is only just beginning. Our forward line coach just turned down a senior coaching position with his old club because he WANTS to be here for what we're building. We've only just hit the on ramp to the premiership highway. There will be potholes on the highway but that just means you better strap in because these next 4-5 years are gonna be good. :)

Car Driving Fast GIF
I canā€™t agree the Bombers played a good game
We had them completely over a barrel in the second and third quarters, they looked like amateurs

To then not be able to close the deal and let them get an almost unanswered 5 goal run on in the last quarter was pretty poor

Iā€™m not having a tanty , but we were the better team on the day and it was all between the ears in letting that one slip

Last edited:
Sure, Erasmus did run too far. But **** me dead that happens literally dozens of times every weekend and is never paid. THAT is the frustrating thing about it. In fact, it gets paid so infrequently I legit wonder if they've changed the rule to 20m without a bounce instead of the traditional 15m.

The dangerous tackle call against Emmett was pathetic. Laverde was just standing there and Emmett's momentum took them to ground. AND Laverde had an arm free anyway. Should not be a suspension.

Another one was a late dodgy htb against maybe Aish. Even the commentator called it as "that's high contact,.." but no, it was inexplicably HTB against us.

Yes, I'm still angry about this bloody game. Very poor to allow that easy clearance with less than a minute left.
Donā€™t want to harp on it but did you see how much Erasmus was being held off the ball ?

I yelled out to one of the umps to pretend it was Curnow and cut him some slack

Tackles lost 64-52

View attachment 2070025

View attachment 2070029

View attachment 2070026

Car Driving Fast GIF

The general gist of what I've heard from a couple of ex-AFL players/current commentators is that it's safer to set up with one player free on the defensive side of the ruck contest and let their other player free on the other side (I guess that's dependent on the other player), so as to be able to block the opposition player (Merrett in this case), and prevent him from running into clear space. And I guess the other thing is to have the wingers on the defensive side of square and run in.

That's if you're saving the game, although in this case we would only be trying secure 2 premiership pts. I guess the young fellas we have in there decided to risk trying to win the 4pts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back