Preview Round 21 Swans vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Well, after that “effort”, I think I need to get the preview up nice & early this week so we can all move on.

Alas, my weekend has been dominated by Codral and Panadol, hence it’s a brief preview this time around.

The Key Details:

Sydney Swans (still 1st - somehow) vs Port Adelaide Power (7th)

Venue: Adelaide Oval

Date: Saturday August 3

Time: 7.30pm AEST

Weather: Not sure. But its Adelaide, so don’t expect anything particularly interesting.

Preamble

There’s a delicious irony about Port.

Watching tens of thousands sing “Never Tear Us Apart” as they tear the club apart, by hurling abuse at the long-suffering coach and club executive is a delight to behold.

But Port fans don’t do irony. They do angry.

Remember, this is the club that decided Pete Ladhams was a bit too level-headed & must be traded.

Nonetheless, Port Adelaide is unquestionably the Swans’ bogey side. Our recent record against them does not make for happy reading. Port has won the last 7 games against the Swans. We haven’t beaten them since 2016.

Indeed, apart from a 2 point loss last year (when Ollie Florent’s last minute shot was buffeted by a biblical gust of wind, the likes of which have never again been seen in Sydney), the Swans haven’t even come close to beating Hinkley’s Heroes.

And given our recent loss of form / lack of effort / loss of confidence / complacency / injury crisis / lack of depth / poor coaching / dud 1st quarters (just choose all the ones you think apply) …. there can surely be no way we start favorites in this one. Having said that – perhaps the Bravedogs debacle was the kick in the bum we needed to have?

The outcome of this game will tell us a lot, but its going to be a tough one.

The Teams

Port appears to have come through their win over Carlton largely unscathed – although there must be doubt over a player called Jones, who was subbed out in the final quarter. I don’t know who Jones is, but it seems likely he’ll be replaced by Quinton Narkle, which feels like an upgrade.

Their midfield unit of Butters (the most heavily fined good bloke in AFL history), Rozee, Horne-Francis, Wines, Boak, Drew and Bergman is handy. And whilst they don’t have star power in the forward line, the “Alex Sexton effect” (now known as the Riley Garcia effect) means someone like Mitch Georgiades is a strong chance to have a career-best game.

Down back, Aliir and Zerk-Thatcher will gobble up long bombs, which seems to be currently all we’re capable of. Dan Houston is in AA form and could potentially be introduced to JJ at opening siren, particularly if Horse decides to get radical …. by instructing the team to play on (or at least in reasonable proximity to) your opponent.

Anyway, the Swans’ team selection will be intriguing. The side that played the Dogs looked like a bunch of blokes that hadn’t yet recovered from a big night out on the turps, which culminated in the purchase of a baby goat.

Trust me, it happens:

1722157285806.png

Melican will be out (even if the club does try to call it “hamstring awareness”, which is code for 3 weeks). Francis seems the logical replacement.

Up forward, Pete Ladhams had a great game on Saturday in the VFL – clearly BoG in my view. 3 goals, strong contested marking & good around the ground Could it be that one of our 3 talls finally comes under selection pressure? Feels like its time.

Wicks hadn’t really earned a recall & did nothing to justify it today. Problem is, with no Papley, our small forward cupboard is bare. If we scan the VFL side, the answer isn’t there.

But it’s the midfield that probably holds the most interest. Rushing Mills back without a couple of hit-outs in the VFL is looking like a blunder. Adams hasn’t been great. Parker doesn’t appear to be the answer to our current malaise.

Hopefully Rowy returns (seems he’s our only player capable of a tackle) – but perhaps what is most needed is an injection of enthusiasm (plus a bit of engine-room grunt). Selection integrity matters and if the Swans have any, Cleary and Sheldrick must surely be looked at.

Surely.

But …. Horse may take the view that “we’re entitled to a bad day out” & only make injury-driven changes.

6.25pm this Thursday will be truly fascinating.

The Verdict

Split Enz once sang “History Never Repeats, I tell myself before I go to sleep”.

Well, that’s what I’m telling myself this evening. We can't possibly be that bad again.

Grand Uncle Horace used to always declare “Swans by X” (and reference a former player’s number). I was going to do the same this week, but couldn’t decide which player to name. And after today’s performance, I felt no confidence in declaring the Swans will win. So I shelved that idea. And went for a walk to ponder it.

So ….. what will be the outcome of this game I wondered?

And then, as I walked past my local newsagent, I witnessed an omen:

1722157438809.png

Swans to stage a remarkable form reversal & win by 69.

Sack Hinkley 11 to go into a frothing, demented overdrive.

And the Swans to largely wrap-up the minor premiership.

Shake down the thunder.

Last edited:

Going to go against the grain and say we'll win this or go close at worst (and I only say that because they're our bogey side) assuming Rowy is back.

Their tall forwards suck anyway so won't punish our lack of key defenders. Today was the first time we really disgraced ourselves this season, and a lot of our players will have a lot to prove.

To return to a phrase we used a lot here while we were dominant - things are never as bad or good as they seem.

Out: Melican, Wicks, Mills, Adams, Hayward (managed)
In: Francis, Hanily, Rowbottom, Sheldrick, Cleary
Sub: Cleary

Ladhams probably needs to back it up in VFL, but could probably go ok against Sweet if we decide Grundy needs a break, or if we were planning on managing Amartey at some point.

McLean kicked a couple, Amartey was one of few who could actually be bothered chasing and tackling. Logan down back a fair bit.

I don't really see the point in playing Mills at the moment, though there's no VFL to give him match fitness. He'll probably stay in, but needs to play a role down back or up forward until he's got some touch back.

Hanily has been consistently good since joining us. He and Corey, who was one of few positives, to fill the Papley gap, and I don't see either impacting less than Wicks at the moment.

I think we'd get more out of Rowbottom and Sheldrick than Mills and Adams. Sheldrick to get the nod over Cleary (who was better yesterday) purely because he's got a bit more exposure at senior level and is a more mature body.

No point running Hayward into the ground.

I think Port's forward set up suits us better than the Dogs.

TMac on Georgiades, Francis on Dixon (who is fairly cooked these days). Fox can go on MG if they throw Esava forward.

Rowbottom and Rampe (longshot but hopeful) are must ins if we are any chance of winning this game. Need to get back to our strengths of sustained pressure and slingshot style especially against ports defence.

Also the fixturing with this game is poor. Going to miss out on Blues vs Pies cause its at the same time.

Going to go against the grain and say we'll win this or go close at worst (and I only say that because they're our bogey side) assuming Rowy is back.

Their tall forwards suck anyway so won't punish our lack of key defenders. Today was the first time we really disgraced ourselves this season, and a lot of our players will have a lot to prove.

To return to a phrase we used a lot here while we were dominant - things are never as bad or good as they seem.
Personally I think the Richmond and Saints games were as bad as today, or at least close to it. Dogs just have the talent to punish us for it.

I'm glad it's on Saturday at least. I don't like Sundays. I'm already thinking about the drudgery of the work week and don't really need any extra stress.

I like Friday night games the best. We get it over and done with early and know where we stand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowbottom and Rampe (longshot but hopeful) are must ins if we are any chance of winning this game. Need to get back to our strengths of sustained pressure and slingshot style especially against ports defence.

Also the fixturing with this game is poor. Going to miss out on Blues vs Pies cause its at the same time.
Rampe will be out for at least another couple of weeks I reckon.

Really don't know who should come in , Francis for Melican maybe but I am not against Hamling having a run as well.
Ladhams would get sucked into a lot of free kicks by the Port guys otherwise he could have given McLean a spell.
Wicks to go out ? If you are going to drop someone a small forward is probably it Wicks out throw Hanily in and see how he goes.
Port are Port solid top six team but never look like contenders. If we try and bomb it in they have multiple intercept defenders who will have a field day. Their midfield is decent but we should match it if we turn up.
No confidence at all we will get a result but at least have a crack this time around.

We need to use the bottom 6 players in form, especially when depleted at the top end. Campbell & Wicks need to play well in the 2's before getting another go. Melican a huge loss, as our inform defender, assume Francis replaces him.
I'd like Mills to find form in the 2's as well but know that one will never happen.

Rowbottom is a big in, bar McInerney we'll have a full strength midfield. No excuses to get smashed in there again on the back of today. We'll need our midfield to pull the finger out and protect the defenders who are in shaky form individually and collectively.

We just don’t have the depth atm and add to that our shithouse form, it will be an easy win for Port.
We just gotta stick fat when we finally get our players back and hope we aren’t too far down this free fall.

Everything we did earlier in the year rolled off the back of the strength of Grundy, Heeney and Rowbottom. If we have a "big three" (spoiler: we don't), it's them, despite the media's infatuation with score involvements. Scoring simply won't be much of an option if you are getting belted in the contest.

Grundy down on form, Heeney potentially banged up, Rowbottom out... ferggeddaboudit.

Gotta get these three firing again or we won't be doing a damn thing in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back