Preview Round 21 Swans vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Four losses from our last five, three of those were losses to teams who are peaking nicely and may play us in finals. What began as a tintinnabulation from losing two on the trot has now become a cacophony of alarm bells. A rush of recent injuries hasn't helped. One wonders if we might have rested players earlier.

Now we can only hope we have the wins and percentage to manage our current vicissitudes while still maintaining our conservative approach to returning players. Perhaps we'll discover depth where we least expected to. Another Mitch Morton?

To avoid relying on other results we'll need to win three of our remaining games to ensure a top 2 finish. Fail to do that and we risk being pulled back into the amorphous blob of top 8 wannabes who are clawing at us from below.

1722162485558.png

Really don't know who should come in , Francis for Melican maybe but I am not against Hamling having a run as well.
Ladhams would get sucked into a lot of free kicks by the Port guys otherwise he could have given McLean a spell.
Wicks to go out ? If you are going to drop someone a small forward is probably it Wicks out throw Hanily in and see how he goes.
Port are Port solid top six team but never look like contenders. If we try and bomb it in they have multiple intercept defenders who will have a field day. Their midfield is decent but we should match it if we turn up.
No confidence at all we will get a result but at least have a crack this time around.
Francis' showing in the reserves was hardly awe inspiring. I'd like to see us settling our lineup rather than throwing more fresh bodies at a hypothetical wall to find one that will stick. Still, Hamling has been fairly consistent.

Wicks seems to play his best as an impact sub but losing another tall would be tough with a small sub. Perhaps Francis or Ladhams as sub. I suppose it depends on the weather.

Francis' showing in the reserves was hardly awe inspiring. I'd like to see us settling our lineup rather than throwing more fresh bodies at a hypothetical wall to find one that will stick. Still, Hamling has been fairly consistent.

Wicks seems to play his best as an impact sub but losing another tall would be tough with a small sub. Perhaps Francis or Ladhams as sub. I suppose it depends on the weather.
Point of order: it is a bit hard to be awe-inspiring in the ressies when you don’t actually play….

But I suspect you’re referring to previous weeks - in which case I’d say he was solid & certainly a better option than relying on Lizard & Logan as key defenders.

Parker forward, not midfield, he is capable of creating a goal than Wicks imo

I agree re Adams disposal was completely dogshit, but he got in there unlike others, but maybe he can be sub , He seemed under instruction to handball more , so they must have discussed? Not sure what they do there. He needs to get the ball to others, not kick it.

If Horse has Hayward and Melican forced out he wont make many more changes imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like you olian do on Parker thread

Adams is rubbish if Parker is

You bring Parker up anytime someone mentions Adams...you just did it again

He wasnt that bad today, his kicks were average, but geez wish a few tried as hard

B Cunningham McCartin Hamling
HB Blakey Francis Roberts
C Lloyd Chad Gulden
HF Fox McDonald Jordan
F Mclean Amartey Parker
Foll Grundy Heeney Rowie
Int Florent Corey Adams Mills
Sub Cleary

Ins Hamling Francis Rowie Cleary
Outs Melican Campbell Wicks Hayward

Going to sound harsh given he's only 2 games back from a long term injury, but Mills, as captain, either needs to put his hand up to find some touch in the VFL (where he can be properly managed)...or he needs to perform at AFL level. Him finding his A grade form is the one ace we have up our sleeve we haven't played yet (provided we get out of this rut), is him running around at AFL level not getting a kick the best way to get him form/touch?

You bring Parker up anytime someone mentions Adams...you just did it again

He wasnt that bad today, his kicks were average, but geez wish a few tried as hard
The thing I find hard to reconcile with Adams is that Collingwood didn’t see him as a mid. And they had plenty of years to decide.

And yet we do (see him as a mid).

I’m still not convinced, even though I do acknowledge he doesn’t shirk it.

But the big question in my mind is the opportunity cost: what could Cleary or Sheldrick be doing if given the opportunity to play the role Adams currently has?

Going to sound harsh given he's only 2 games back from a long term injury, but Mills, as captain, either needs to put his hand up to find some touch in the VFL (where he can be properly managed)...or he needs to perform at AFL level. Him finding his A grade form is the one ace we have up our sleeve we haven't played yet (provided we get out of this rut), is him running around at AFL level not getting a kick the best way to get him form/touch?

Its to late for him to have a meaningful impact anyways and certainly terrible timing as the team is losing every week.

We got to 13-1 without him should not be factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back