Preview Round 21 Swans vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure it would have been Dyl Stephens, during one of his fortnightly axings?
I'm not sure.

But Adams had 24 disposals. Were they effective? No, not really. I don't think many players were very effective with the ball, so I can't see Horse & co considering Adams to be the problem.

The thing I find hard to reconcile with Adams is that Collingwood didn’t see him as a mid. And they had plenty of years to decide.

And yet we do (see him as a mid).

I’m still not convinced, even though I do acknowledge he doesn’t shirk it.

But the big question in my mind is the opportunity cost: what could Cleary or Sheldrick be doing if given the opportunity to play the role Adams currently has?

We seemed to use him as a flank/back up mid and play 68-70% game time until Rowbottom and Jmac went out though.

Even went to sub.

Paps often played in the guts before him.

Campbell hasn't stepped up with opportunity , not sure Cleary would be ready. Sheldrick maybe, but he looked junk in the VFL, but maybe you have to try

I'm not sure.

But Adams had 24 disposals. Were they effective? No, not really. I don't think many players were very effective with the ball, so I can't see Horse & co considering Adams to be the problem.
I suspect you’re right.

But Horse needs to find a solution & “nothing to see here, we just had an off day” isn’t it.

He probably won’t change the cattle more than he has to. It’s not Horse’s style. But sometimes an axing or two is needed to get everyone putting in 100% again.

The VFL bye this week absolutely sucks.

I suspect you’re right.

But Horse needs to find a solution & “nothing to see here, we just had an off day” isn’t it.

He probably won’t change the cattle more than he has to. It’s not Horse’s style. But sometimes an axing or two is needed to get everyone putting in 100% again.
I don't really know what the solution is.

But... no one really bit at my suggestion yesterday that as good as the VFL win over Southport was, we didn't get the kind of bang-the-door-down performances we needed. I thought maybe I'd overstepped the mark or I was being too negative and a buzzkill so I left it be.

However today kinda reinforced that I was right to want more from our VFL team, regardless of the result. I did not want to be here, in the hours and days after a bad AFL loss, saying, "I don't really know what the solution is."

But... no one really bit at my suggestion yesterday that as good as the VFL win over Southport was, we didn't get the kind of bang-the-door-down performances we needed. I thought maybe I'd overstepped the mark or I was being too negative and a buzzkill so I left it be.

However today kinda reinforced that I was right to want more from our VFL team, regardless of the result. I did not want to be here, in the hours and days after a bad AFL loss, saying, "I don't really know what the solution is."
I think the solution is in the player’s heads, more so than on the team sheet.

We’ve either lost confidence or urgency …. most likely both.

To my eye, only Rowy would have made a significant difference to that debacle today.

My point about Adams is that he’s nearly 31 - likely past his best & should he be keeping out Cleary or Sheldrick?

Because we picked the best team we had this week , bar fringe tweeks, Yes includes Sheldrick.

If everyone was as their best maybe Wicks and Corey for a Sheldrick,maybe Hamling plays, but when the talls fire they are probably better. But most of the 23 wasthe best we can currently pick

They were shitehouse

Horse (apart from Injured players returning) can either drop fringe players for other fringe and hope , or make a statement dropping and bring another fringe player in for player x he uses as an example.

Really his logical option is injury chages and to fix the team he has. How the **** do you do that,

Work ****en harder lazy pricks

Just win the first quarter that would be massive psychologically

They have to believe this week is a massive chance to turn the whole season back around, run hard, work into space, make the extra effort,

To my eye, only Rowy would have made a significant difference to that debacle today.

My point about Adams is that he’s nearly 31 - likely past his best & should he be keeping out Cleary or Sheldrick?

But like Caeser said, neither Sheldrick or Cleary have shown they should be given a spot

There is no solution other than to back the team in for the last few weeks :shrug:

What else can you do at this stage of the season everything is collapsing at the wrong possible time nobody is putting their hand up in the VFL its obvious Grundy has needed a break for weeks now Ladlams keeps getting suspended we are back to having a defence of McCartin/Fox and Blakey.

Amartey is back to unable to kick at goal or take a mark, Logan was put down back.. its a complete shitshow compared to a month ago.

But like Caeser said, neither Sheldrick or Cleary have shown they should be given a spot
I think you’ll find caesar88 is fairly keen on Cleary. Maybe for the future though.

I believe both are ready & good enough. And they’re on an upward trajectory. Sheldrick is 3 games back from injury & Cleary played very well on Saturday.

But would it have changed the result today? Nup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you’ll find caesar88 is fairly keen on Cleary.

I believe both are ready & good enough. And they’re on an upward trajectory. Sheldrick is 3 games back from injury & Cleary played very well on Saturday.

But would it have changed the result today? Nup.

Im not saying dont pick one, just dont think Horse is dropping one mid who got involved.

Something needs changing in the midfield

The three headed monster looks dead.

Maybe its Heeney who needs to **** off forward--- yes hypocritical of me

Out: The shithouse effort.
In: A bit of desperation, genuine effort and giving it a frigging crack.

Injuries are not helping - but a big chunk of the current problems seem to be in the head. For whatever reason, we've gone away from what worked early in the season, and seem to be thinking a Harlem Globetrotters level of consistent effort is all that is needed.

Im not saying dont pick one, just dont think Horse is dropping one mid who got involved.

Something needs changing in the midfield

The three headed monster looks dead.

Maybe its Heeney who needs to **** off forward--- yes hypocritical of me
Heeney’s form is tracking the same as previous seasons - starts superbly then fades. The dodgy ankle seems the most likely culprit.

But I still think Heeney, Chad, Errol, Rowy, Grundy, mcI is our best combo & if available, has to be persisted with.

I know you didn’t ask, but since you asked - who is droppable?

I’d say Adams, Jordon, Parker, Wicks, Corey, Campbell, McLean, Armatey. The latter 2 mainly because Ladhams played so well on Saturday.

On form, Mills too - but it’d be a tough call, particularly with no VFL game this week.

My feeling is that only Corey cops the axe, despite being ok-ish today.

we were never as good as the front half of the season made us look (no team is), and I suspect we’re not as bad as today made us look either. Probably only the second genuinely bad game we’ve played this year, along with the Tigers.

Real litmus test this week - as much as we’d love a win to lock away top two, even a competitive loss (as against the Dockers and Lions) will suggest it’s not panic stations going into September.

Heeney’s form is tracking the same as previous seasons - starts superbly then fades. The dodgy ankle seems the most likely culprit.

But I still think Heeney, Chad, Errol, Rowy, Grundy, mcI is our best combo & if available, has to be persisted with.

I know you didn’t ask, but since you asked - who is droppable?

I’d say Adams, Jordon, Parker, Wicks, Corey, Campbell, McLean, Armatey. The latter 2 mainly because Ladhams played so well on Saturday.

On form, Mills too - but it’d be a tough call, particularly with no VFL game this week.

My feeling is that only Corey cops the axe, despite being ok-ish today.

Chuck Corey in the guts

Heeney forward into Hayward role give him a bit of a break
Parker into Paps role- heck Wicks off for Rowbottom

Melican out for Hamling

Ladhams to give Grundy a rest or a tall

and yeah **** it Sheldrick in for whoever, I dont care

People forgot we got Adams because our midfield at the end of 2023 was so young and we needed his experience.

He is not the problem
That’s a fallacy.

Grundy, Heeney, Parker, Mills aren’t “young”. Rowy, Chad and McI are all 23 with a ton of experience.

The “we are so young” line was valid in 2022. Not now.

That’s a fallacy.

Grundy, Heeney, Parker, Mills aren’t “young”. Rowy, Chad and McI are all 23 with a ton of experience.

The “we are so young” line was valid in 2022. Not now.

We got Adams because we were soft

Amazing, crazy to think that Caiden Cleary wasnt born yet when we last beat port
What's even more amazing is that Dean Towers was still playing that day (cc SSwans2011).

One of only two Swans (minimum 50 games) in the last 100 years to have a win % of 70%+.

I don't think Sheldrick & Cleary's futures would be high on Horse's priority list at all. Adams is experienced and knows how our players and our ideal game plan and brand works. That would be more important to him than giving a few kids a go I would think.

we were never as good as the front half of the season made us look (no team is), and I suspect we’re not as bad as today made us look either. Probably only the second genuinely bad game we’ve played this year, along with the Tigers.

Real litmus test this week - as much as we’d love a win to lock away top two, even a competitive loss (as against the Dockers and Lions) will suggest it’s not panic stations going into September.

We still need the wins is the problem Pies and Bombers will still be alive for a top 8 position if we arent careful we could be finding ourselves having to win the last game just to finish 4th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back