Preview Round 21 Swans vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was an opportunity to let the playing group know in no uncertain terms that halfarsery won't be tolerated.

Instead, we made ONE forced change and scapegoated a young player who was not the main culprit for recent losses.

For the first time in a while I am disappointed in Horse and the match committee.
Which half-arse would you have wanted out?

It’s a miracle we have won so many games
Its a miracle that Hayward our only medium forward has played 85/89 games in the last 4 years (I could be slightly off by 1-2 games with the stat but the same sentiment is there)

I think this last month has probably shown to me that there are quite a few players that its probably better for the club to move on now rather than have them at the club next year because in the long term they will just be holding back the development of others. Think its time for Magor, Konstanty, Francis, Arnold, McAndrew and some others to go as they provide nothing and don't know if they will hit a ceiling good enough for AFL standards
I'd be surprised if we moved Konstanty on, given the price we paid (including passing up on others). If there's some interest from elsewhere, we might feel like we get something worth it back.

Magor it'd be nice if we played him in his actual position (medium forward) before kicking him to the curb.

Don't see us moving on both Francis and Arnold. Not unless we think Edwards is ready to go AND we bring in another young KPD.

I'd be surprised if we moved Konstanty on, given the price we paid (including passing up on others). If there's some interest from elsewhere, we might feel like we get something worth it back.

Magor it'd be nice if we played him in his actual position (medium forward) before kicking him to the curb.

Don't see us moving on both Francis and Arnold. Not unless we think Edwards is ready to go AND we bring in another young KPD.
Honestly would move him on for a future second/third or if possible move him on for a second/third in this years draft as i like the depth of talent and think we could get someone useful in the 30-40 range

Disagree on Campbell being the one out. Wicks before him.

Don't know why we are running Hayward into the ground, hopefully we don't see him struggling at times for the 3rd week in a row.

No excuses with this team. If we don't put up a decent effort again, it's on the coaches for allowing the rot to continue.
Talent wise I agree but with no paps it makes sense on why Wicks remains in the side. He knows he was ordinary on the weekend so hoping for a bounce back and that he can get involved in more contests.

Still think for the most part we've got to improve our inside 50 entries. Campbells physicality might not match up well against a side like Port.

Take your pick of a bunch of low-calibre performers over the past six weeks.

Sacking Campbell is the selection equivalent of picking the low-hanging fruit, which is my main point. It was a lazy effort from the match committee this week.
Well I think the match selection committee's issue was that the low-calibre performers weren't the ones most guilty of the half-arsery.

The fringe guys like Wicks, Warner Jr., Campbell, Fox etc. seemed to be giving it their absolute all, while some of the guys whose spots were more settled looked somewhat complacent.

Take your pick from a bunch of low-calibre performers over the past six weeks.

Sacking Campbell is the selection equivalent of picking the low-hanging fruit, which is my main point. It was a lazy effort from the match committee this week IMO.
Out of the low-calibre performers, I pick Campbell... Lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm thinking Fox will play in defence to help out there. It means we need a pressure forward. We can all debate the merits of Wicks as that player, but the fact is that Horse has gone with a specific player in that role each and every week this year. It seems to be as fixed a role in this team for Horse as any position.

So who are the candidates?

Sheldrick? Horse seemed to suggest he wasn't in peak condition, plus his VFL form hasn't really demanded it anyway.

Cleary? Possibly, but the fact he only got two looks at senior level this year and both were as the starting sub suggests maybe Horse doesn't think he's ready for a full game.

Hanily? Probably needs to show more to convince Horse, but a good base to be starting from with his last few games.

Konstanty? Injured.

Parker/Adams? Not really fast enough.

So it really only leaves Wicks...
caesar88, there’s one problem.

A “pressure forward” needs to apply pressure.

I’m honestly amazed the Wicks myth persists in that regard.

Your point re: there’s nobody else to fill the small forward role is valid though. It’s the single area of the ground in which we have fundamentally no depth.

I'm thinking Fox will play in defence to help out there. It means we need a pressure forward. We can all debate the merits of Wicks as that player, but the fact is that Horse has gone with a specific player in that role each and every week this year. It seems to be as fixed a role in this team for Horse as any position.

So who are the candidates?

Sheldrick? Horse seemed to suggest he wasn't in peak condition, plus his VFL form hasn't really demanded it anyway.

Cleary? Possibly, but the fact he only got two looks at senior level this year and both were as the starting sub suggests maybe Horse doesn't think he's ready for a full game.

Hanily? Probably needs to show more to convince Horse, but a good base to be starting from with his last few games.

Konstanty? Injured.

Parker/Adams? Not really fast enough.

So it really only leaves Wicks...
He hasn’t kicked a goal since the Freo game in Rd 16.
He only had 8 disposals and 4 tackles last week.

Personally, I’d take Sheldrick or Cleary over him

caesar88, there’s one problem.

A “pressure forward” needs to apply pressure.

I’m honestly amazed the Wicks myth persists in that regard.

Your point re: there’s nobody else to fill the small forward role is valid though. It’s the single area of the ground in which we have fundamentally no depth.
Dubai as per BFs love affair with Wicks you have to give him credit for tying his season high 4 tackles

He hasn’t kicked a goal since the Freo game in Rd 16.
He only had 8 disposals and 4 tackles last week.

Personally, I’d take Sheldrick or Cleary over him
That's fair, I was just giving reasons as to why Wicks might've been chosen over them.

None are ideal options I trust to bring consistent physical pressure inside 50 and/or have an impact with the ball.

Can’t work the Hamling thing out tbh. Regardless of the fact Buddy was lame 2016 GF Hamling is a premiership DEFENDER. Wake up Horse you recruited him based around the doubt on McCartin’s head and Melican’s soft tissue and you play him as a forward in the VFL ? Just don’t get why we keep going back to this Second stringer in Francis when you clearly have another option you haven’t even given the chance to at worst prove he is more of the same. SMH.
Yep! I'd like to get a look at Hamling before finals.. What happens if Rampe or Melican go down again before or during finals! Then we're stuck with Francis who seems to play kind of average for us when he's in the side. And to bring in Hamling cold into a big final for his first game would be quite stupid.

Sent from my CET-AL00 using BigFooty.com mobile app

First game so far this year that Logan hasn't been selected CHF.

I wonder if that is a sign patience is running out and/or the uncompetitiveness of our key forwards, especially early in games, is seen as one of our issues with starting the game well.

I feel a bit cranky after this week’s team selection.

Scapegoating Campbell feels like an utter cop-out.

Either make some hard decisions (and hence a statement) or give the full side a chance to redeem themselves.

Dropping the axe on one young player, who wasn’t our worst & had actually been performing reasonably well ….. it doesn’t sit well with me.

Rowy of course needed to return. But Campbell going from starting side to out ….. I don’t like it at all.

Talent wise I agree but with no paps it makes sense on why Wicks remains in the side. He knows he was ordinary on the weekend so hoping for a bounce back and that he can get involved in more contests.

Still think for the most part we've got to improve our inside 50 entries. Campbells physicality might not match up well against a side like Port.
Wicks knew he was poor/average in the VFL before he was brought back in.

I'm not sure how improving our delivery and dropping Campbell go together, to be honest.

This was an opportunity to let the playing group know in no uncertain terms that halfarsery won't be tolerated.

Instead, we made ONE forced change and scapegoated a young player who was not the main culprit for recent losses.

For the first time in a while I am disappointed in Horse and the match committee.
Quite right.

Members and supporters deserve better than this..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back