Preview Round 21 Swans vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe not, but you repeatedly said he should be traded. Im not a list manager, but I wouldn't think its a good idea to trade good players?,, especially when the role he was being developed for was the role Hewett used to play.

So, why did you want to trade him?
Because the role Hewett played was deemed unimportant enough for us to let him go via free agency and somewhat of a misuse of his talents. Why put Rowy in run with roles only for the same to happen, the logic was to get as much for him while he was contracted.

I didn't want that to happen, but it was the reasoning given.

maybe not, but you repeatedly said he should be traded. Im not a list manager, but I wouldn't think its a good idea to trade good players?,, especially when the role he was being developed for was the role Hewett used to play.

Whys this important?

I could have sworn Caeser said something like if you aren't going to use Rowbottom properly you may as well trade him

These comments basically cover it.

Because the role Hewett played was deemed unimportant enough for us to let him go via free agency and somewhat of a misuse of his talents. Why put Rowy in run with roles only for the same to happen, the logic was to get as much for him while he was contracted.

I didn't want that to happen, but it was the reasoning given.

Whys this important?

I could have sworn Caeser said something like if you aren't going to use Rowbottom properly you may as well trade him

I don't think it's that unusual. People talk about seeing what we can get for players all the time, doesn't mean they don't like or rate them. It's just a part of the sport. I think I stated how highly I rated Rowbottom over and over. Maybe that is what made it jarring to read, as opposed to if it came from someone who wasn't a fan of his. I don't know, but it's in the past now. He's committed to us long-term and he's been great ever since, so happy days.

Whys this important?

No C88 didn't say that at all, He may have been part of the mob (maybe even led the mob) calling for Rowbottom to be 'let off the chain', but aside to that, he certainly wanted him traded, and if my memory serves correctly, not many (if any) posters responded.. and you're right, its not important.

No C88 didn't say that at all, He may have been part of the mob (maybe even led the mob) calling for Rowbottom to be 'let off the chain', but aside to that, he certainly wanted him traded, and if my memory serves correctly, not many (if any) posters responded.. and you're right, its not important.

Well we all love him now 😀

These comments basically cover it.

I don't think it's that unusual. People talk about seeing what we can get for players all the time, doesn't mean they don't like or rate them. It's just a part of the sport. I think I stated how highly I rated Rowbottom over and over. Maybe that is what made it jarring to read, as opposed to if it came from someone who wasn't a fan of his. I don't know, but it's in the past now. He's committed to us long-term and he's been great ever since, so happy days.

Didn't you say something about sending me $15,000?

But exactly what you're saying about Wicks could be said about Campbell, too. I do share your desire to see Campbell succeed but him being a high draft pick doesn't make him any different to Wicks to me. I want every Swan to succeed.

Re Parker & Mills taking us from young, fast and dynamic to strong and stodgy, it's worth remembering that we lost to Freo & St Kilda before we brought either of them back. We'd well and truly lost our dynamism before their returns, and that was actually what took us from "We don't need those guys right now" to "Let's see if they can fix things."
I believe Campbell has a much higher ceiling than Wicks.

And of course I want every Swan to succeed. But not all can or do.

Emotionally, it’s harder (for me at least) to see a high draft pick that we’ve invested heavily in struggle. I see 3rd round / rookie draftees as a throw at the stumps …. those that succeed are a wonderful bonus - but I find it easier to accept those that don’t.

Like some others here, I worry that Campbell hasn’t been allowed to settle in a role that really suits & we risk never seeing him reach his ceiling.

But perhaps above it all - I’m still so pi**ed off at last weeks effort, I need to find something to be annoyed about.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of what annoys me about Campbell is that we've refused to play him in the position he was drafted as. I think he got maybe 2 dedicated games at half forward in late 2021.

He doesn't mind a chase and tackle, so give him Wicks' role for a couple of weeks even. Or give that to Corey and let Campbell try and be a goalsneak. One of his draft strengths was lead up marking.

Play him in the VFL in this role this may be his role but we are all guessing. Might want to find a right foot though in that role. What we do know is he’s been poor to below poor for 4 weeks. Corey has been better in the last two weeks and Roberts showed why he should never have been kept out for Campbell.

Congrats to Aliir Aliir on 150 games, if you could do us a solid though

Random Gulden heat maps one is pre rain v GWS and the other from the Dogs game.

So many wide touches now and his running is more focused to one side

Stop running wide to nothing spaces for cheapies
View attachment 2065676View attachment 2065677
My sense (and I don’t have the stats to back myself up) is that Gulden has put quantity over quality. He’s running so hard to provide an option, the pelting forward, then pelting back, and is too tired to execute well and isn’t receiving the ball in as dangerous positions.

Sean’s got too buddy focused going into attack. I worry we have become too Gulden focused when transitioning into attack.

Maybe this has also hurt the games of Campbell, Florent, etc. Sometimes it doesn’t matter if they are not the best user of the ball - what matters is that they are different and shake things up.

I don't class Parker as a small forward. He's a mid who can cause some trouble when he goes up forward in patches. Mostly due to marking ability and at stoppages, not at zipping around causing mayhem.

But he's the same height as Charlie Cameron, who is regarded as one of the best small forwards in the league.
Agree. Right now he is a no brainer to start forward and pinch hit in the guts to relieve Rowbottom

Parker can take a grab and at least you know he will keep it forward
Height really doesn't determine how mobile you are. Wicks is clearly the more athletic/quicker player.

Parker is only going to impact if the ball is in his direct vicinity, otherwise as we saw countless times last week the opposition peels off him like a banana. Lack of speed gets severely exposed when trying to defend the oppo moving the ball out of your 50 and the dogs absolutely rinsed us in that aspect.

Everyone thinking Parker can do Wicks's job are dreaming. Wicks' impact comes from his link up play when he's able to seperate off his opponent. Its not his goals or pressure, they're just bonuses. The team only needs to use Wicks a handful of times effectively for maximum impact. And I've mentioned it quite a few times before re Rohan and Hayward etc, the role Wicks plays is very dependant on the team playing well, so to expect him to be a standout in a losing side is silly because they will rarely play a good game under those circumstances - but it looks like alot on here have decided to die on that hill and refuse to understand how that med/small half forward role works. He makes a winning team win better, so unless you plan to lose, Wicks plays.

Height really doesn't determine how mobile you are. Wicks is clearly the more athletic/quicker player.

Parker is only going to impact if the ball is in his direct vicinity, otherwise as we saw countless times last week the opposition peels off him like a banana. Lack of speed gets severely exposed when trying to defend the oppo moving the ball out of your 50 and the dogs absolutely rinsed us in that aspect.

Everyone thinking Parker can do Wicks's job are dreaming. Wicks' impact comes from his link up play when he's able to seperate off his opponent. Its not his goals or pressure, they're just bonuses. The team only needs to use Wicks a handful of times effectively for maximum impact. And I've mentioned it quite a few times before re Rohan and Hayward etc, the role Wicks plays is very dependant on the team playing well, so to expect him to be a standout in a losing side is silly because they will rarely play a good game under those circumstances - but it looks like alot on here have decided to die on that hill and refuse to understand how that med/small half forward role works. He makes a winning team win better, so unless you plan to lose, Wicks plays.

Im not sure either are best 22. Wicks needs to lift on recent efforts, but reasonable point regarding us playing well for his role to work.

I agree they peel off on Parker, but he will fight at least and can take a grab.

Anyway suspect Parker will be the sub or Corey Warner

How can you be crucial to link up play and have the lowest SI % out of all the main forwards. How can you be the most crucial in link up play when out of the forwards you have the worst Disposals per clanger out of the whole forward setup. So what exactly does he provide if he isn't top in like any categories out of the main forwards?

Also i can add that all three categories that i mentioned he is down on in comparison to 2023

How can you be crucial to link up play and have the lowest SI % out of all the main forwards. How can you be the most crucial in link up play when out of the forwards you have the worst Disposals per clanger out of the whole forward setup. So what exactly does he provide if he isn't top in like any categories out of the main forwards?

Also i can add that all three categories that i mentioned he is down on in comparison to 2023

He is only there because Papley isn’t we don’t have another alternative that’s realistic anyway

Reading Insta which is a different kettle of fish, you really get a sense of why the coaches jobs are so difficult, especially when it comes to selection.

Across the comments, apparently all of Francis, Hamling, Wicks, Warner Jr., Campbell, Sheldrick, Parker, Amartey should all be either in or out.

There’s going to be a lot of boycotts on Insta if Parker is sub lol

He is only there because Papley isn’t we don’t have another alternative that’s realistic anyway
Oh 100% but i think a lot of us believe that he shouldn't be there regardless of Papley being injured or available, as his performances this year haven't been good pressure/tackle wise or good build-up wise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back