Review Round 21 - West Coast @ Optus Stadium - 2nd August 2024 - 8:30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

That is fair, but if he does play with those 2 he will just need to play his role. Be aggressive, hit packs, chase and tackle. Mac and King would do a lot of the heavy lifting, especially with marking. Jed would be the hefty boy.

But the underlying problem is Luko. Does he really fit in a good forward line as a 3rd tall or medium player? He is a good player, and over 100 games played, but not sure he does enough of what a good forward line needs from a 3rd tall/medium player.
Couldn't agree more and is the reason why I wouldn't be surprised if luko is on the trade table. If mac is needed down back I think read will also be much improved after another preseason and offer as much as luko.

Hilarious
We are the footy Club that every year enacts the Kubler Ross 5 stages of grief as if we're a travelling minstrel show from the middle ages performing for the moral instruction of others
The Denial phase when we start losing after a solid start to the year and a training the house down pre-season
I'm not sure whether my response to DMac and Brayden travelling with the team means I've hit Acceptance or if I'm still dealing with Stage 4 Depression
What I do know is it feels a lot like every other year I've been a Suns supporter so yeah, probably I'm in the Acceptance phase

Couldn't agree more and is the reason why I wouldn't be surprised if luko is on the trade table. If mac is needed down back I think read will also be much improved after another preseason and offer as much as luko.
Trading Luko is fraught with danger IMO. He’s part of that group that (maybe) against all odds have bought in to the club culture. It would seem some key friendships have helped that.

I’d much prefer see Dimma work with him for another year – one year is not a heap of time – and try to maximise whatever talent he has. Rocking a steady boat seems scary.

I’m not in the trade Luko camp. We need to use him better, and he needs to be better. Our forward half cohesion is poor and we seem to only have eyes for King most of the time. If we can fix that, Luko can have more impact. Also needs to play up the ground more than he is to be the final link in a chain to then kick it forward.

As for Fiorini and MacPherson… I’d imagine they replace one of our mids and someone like Berry (sub). Fiorini I am fine with. He’s had sustained form and, as long as he is in the midfield group, have no problem with it.

MacPherson doesn’t make much sense to me. Don’t think he’s done much at VFL level to earn a recall.

Fiorini and Sexton (if reported seen in the team is correct) instantly take our games played and age profile up. Inspiring? No. But may need to try that to see if they offer anything.

Several players contracts are up, too. May be their last roll of the dice to prove they deserve another short contract.

Love the team selection

Thought we could’ve gone with Macpherson or Faulkhead over Fiorini. Since Brayden is an inside mid who we love to use on a wing

But losing one of the ruckman, tick and Berry replaced by someone who can kick goals. Tick

Very happy

Now pray we win

Seeing as our pressure forwards seemingly put up minimal pressure anyway, hopefully Rosas and Sexton can play forward together and light it up and kick a few each to get us up and going.

Would’ve liked to see Fiorini in the middle if we are going to bring him in, but oh well. Last chance to prove his place on the list.

918c29070e6ea223035bda6ee880e7d1.jpg

The boys have let us down the last month, but we can’t give up hope! I want my free grilled burger Monday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pardon the intrusion but what role do you guys see Rowell playing rest of year? He’s so good to watch when up and running but looks like his CBAs have taken a big hit in the last 3 rounds. Dimma going to plonk him half forward / midfield for the run home?

Pardon the intrusion but what role do you guys see Rowell playing rest of year? He’s so good to watch when up and running but looks like his CBAs have taken a big hit in the last 3 rounds. Dimma going to plonk him half forward / midfield for the run home?
Seems like he's going to spend some time forward for the rest of the season based on Dimma's comments the other day. He loves to tackle and has always been a pretty good shot at goal with a career return of 25.9 so this new role as a pressure small forward could suit Rowell's style of play. Having said that, I still think he spends at least 50% playing time in the midfield.

Trading Luko is fraught with danger IMO. He’s part of that group that (maybe) against all odds have bought in to the club culture. It would seem some key friendships have helped that.

I’d much prefer see Dimma work with him for another year – one year is not a heap of time – and try to maximise whatever talent he has. Rocking a steady boat seems scary.
Agree, plus the club has always been awful in getting any value in a trade. Would you rather have Luko for another season or a 3rd round pick? I’m taking Luko

Obviously Perth is the toughest road trip but the Eagles aren’t a 4 quarter side at the moment so we should win comfortably.

There is a real opportunity over these last 4 games to start reversing the narrative around the team and developing finals-worthy chops. Beat the Eagles and the streak is over, beat a stuttering Essendon and a pattern to road wins emerges, win the final home game against a stuttering Melbourne and say goodbye to the fans for the year and beat lowly Richmond at the G to confirm the change in fortunes and threaten the 8th to 10th spots. Sure this is optimistic but we have the easiest run home in the league, how easy does it have to be for the Suns to demonstrate competency?.........

Down back the big men will have Waterman, Allen and Darling to deal with. I assume Collins goes to Allen, Andrew to Waterman and Ballard to Darling since he will see less targets. It’s another big test for the group who have not been as dominant in recent weeks. Ryyan Maric is also in there so I don’t know if we’ll see 4 talls at some point, But Jeffrey is a decent size so we should have enough bodies that match up well. The key down back will be working their way out of defence quickly, to relieve the pressure of repeat entries and force the Eagles’ mids to run back the other way so they can’t be too singularly focussed on scoring. Weller and Powell haven’t lit up a game together yet, and this is a perfect time for it.

It's another have-to-win game for the Suns and the reaction if they don’t will be extremely embarrassing and ruin the rest of the footy weekend for me. Please spare us Damian Barrett’s smug dismissal for one more week and get us up and ready to shoot the Bombers out of the sky right before they crash into the mountain they were already hurtling towards.

https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com...wont-be-able-to-take-the-punditry-if-we-lose/

Obviously Perth is the toughest road trip but the Eagles aren’t a 4 quarter side at the moment so we should win comfortably.

There is a real opportunity over these last 4 games to start reversing the narrative around the team and developing finals-worthy chops. Beat the Eagles and the streak is over, beat a stuttering Essendon and a pattern to road wins emerges, win the final home game against a stuttering Melbourne and say goodbye to the fans for the year and beat lowly Richmond at the G to confirm the change in fortunes and threaten the 8th to 10th spots. Sure this is optimistic but we have the easiest run home in the league, how easy does it have to be for the Suns to demonstrate competency?.........

Down back the big men will have Waterman, Allen and Darling to deal with. I assume Collins goes to Allen, Andrew to Waterman and Ballard to Darling since he will see less targets. It’s another big test for the group who have not been as dominant in recent weeks. Ryyan Maric is also in there so I don’t know if we’ll see 4 talls at some point, But Jeffrey is a decent size so we should have enough bodies that match up well. The key down back will be working their way out of defence quickly, to relieve the pressure of repeat entries and force the Eagles’ mids to run back the other way so they can’t be too singularly focussed on scoring. Weller and Powell haven’t lit up a game together yet, and this is a perfect time for it.

It's another have-to-win game for the Suns and the reaction if they don’t will be extremely embarrassing and ruin the rest of the footy weekend for me. Please spare us Damian Barrett’s smug dismissal for one more week and get us up and ready to shoot the Bombers out of the sky right before they crash into the mountain they were already hurtling towards.

https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com...wont-be-able-to-take-the-punditry-if-we-lose/
I know last week was another bitter pill to gag on but.
Play with the intensity as last week , add a sprinkle of love to get the radar for goal and you should , again should smash West coast.
It looks like you have taken out your least goal threatening player in Berry.
He looked like the goods early this season, but has to find the goals himself when in the zone.
Good luck for tonight,
Rosas tom kick 4.
Half a dozen for king, make up for last week.

Not sure if I misheard Wayne Campbell but Walter might be playing in back half for a part of the game to get more involved

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21 - West Coast @ Optus Stadium - 2nd August 2024 - 8:30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Back