Autopsy Round 22, 2021: Geelong v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

He is never in the seniors. How is he supposed to get AFL experience when treacle slow useless ball butchers like Dunstan are taking his spot?

I dont care if we get nothing for Dunstan get him out of the team, an absolute liability.
Bytel had the spot but didnt do enough with it. His 16 disposals a match weren't helping us win so he lost his spot like any midfielder continually contributing very little to a side would.

Dunstan banged down the door, got the opportunity and hasn't warranted being dropped.

As shit as you continually say Dunstan is, he is still delivering a lot more than Bytel was.

Disappointing to lose especially after the great start we got, our finals chances gone but in reality we probably weren't playing finals this year anyway.

Injuries cost us this year but we've found some good youngsters like Byrnes, Connolly, Highmore and Sharman that wouldn't have played otherwise.

If we can get all our best players back on the park next year we are right in the mix for a Top 4 spot next year.

Can't wait to get this matchwinner back, we probably would have won this game today with him in our team.

Not many people will agree, but Marshall is just not a tap ruckman.. he is a tall forward playing ruck and can give a 2nd effort after the initial ball up... Stanley is average(no. 16 in AFL for hit outs), but still beat Marshall..
Marshall is an average forward. He is a very good ruck who had a poor night.

Because he gets fu** all possessions in the seniors. There's a spot for him if he wants it.
I hope after today's game you understand my position re dunstan, his kicking i50 never results in us scoring. He also only maintains the rage in a string of games in a kind of inverse relationship to how many games he's played at sandy. He's dropping off again now after coming in with a point to prove earlier in the year.

For someone with so much negativity inside of you, I'm surprised you save your rose coloured glasses for spook. You should use them on byrnes and higgins ;)

Games like this is why footy is losing me.

Both sides play well, Cats deserve the win the end for stifling and expanding where they could, and we went to water a bit at times to players just playing better in moments.

But: with what can actually be controlled, we come away with 4 points from it, why?
Bullshit blocking meets unrealistic attempt -6pt turnaround.
2x 50m shots on missed -12pt (Rat kick & Ming mark disposal)
Hey presto, 18pt > 14pt simply because someone in hi vis defecated from their face hole.

So you have two sides playing great footy just different ways, game is great, well done peoples, ruined by officiating nonsense because everyone refuses, just straight refuses, to do anything about it. Quite to converse actually, give them more autonomy, more authority, more control, more more more and if you have anythign to say about it, oh you dunno, it's a whinge, it's a something here, here's a fine and lesser standing.

Commission is a joke for many reasons, and whilst this should have been a great game of one side wanting top, another side trying to kick that door in, the way it played out was "shock horror whistle reversal contest" instead of momentum change from two opposing sides.

All well and good if you say look at a bloke emulate a better Lynch and actually connect with punches to the face, but the spectacle is straight trash.

I'm sure the players would have no problem signing docs about a narrative, and not exerting that effort if in the end; it never matters.

He is never in the seniors. How is he supposed to get AFL experience when treacle slow useless ball butchers like Dunstan are taking his spot?

I dont care if we get nothing for Dunstan get him out of the team, an absolute liability.
You know the answer you will get
Should have pumped games into him, he was poorly managed

You mean like how he has utilised McKenzie, connolly, byrnes, Sinclair and King. But let's just hang our hat on Battle shall we...ffs
Mckenzie were a speedy half back/wing, he played wing finally after looked like a headless chook in the backline.

Brynes a mid, Connelly a half back.. so they both play utility roles which is normal.

Sinclair was always a utility player.. played mid, forward and now back..

And King, after bombing the ball on his head the whole season and seeing his confidence/head drop, Ratts finally instructed King to lead and i50 to be in front of King.. what a genius idea..

Failed experiments
- Hill in the backline, makes 2/3 brain fades a game. really only impacted game 2-3 games this year
- Long back, then forward
- Battle on the Wing
- Membrey on the wing
- Howard kicking out 10-15 times a game when he is an ordinary kick
- Long bomb to half back/inside 50 and ask our small forwards to tackle and force turnover..

I don't mind Webster as depth/borderline firsts. He's had a solid year. But his biggest weakness is smarts, or lack thereof. He can't seem to think beyond the current contest. Or courageously throws his body in and goes to ground but just leaves us exposed. Or doesn't kill the ball or clear the area when he's 2 or 3 onto 1. But he's ok. I think if Paton is ready to go he needs to slot straight in.

What are posters thoughts on the ability of the Saints ability to develop kids, had a Richmond supporter just say to me the club has a bad culture and has not been able to develop kids. His context was Billings which I would think is a bad example.

Ratts has played a lot of kids over the last couple of months yes by necessity but still - Byrnes, Bytel, King, Marshall, Coffield, Clark, Highmore, Sharman all have huge scope.

Hoping that the Cats are not able to pinch a flag before age catches up with them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whoever it was on here who said a while ago that Kent has "aerial presence" should be forced to watch 10 replays of this game 'A Clockwork Orange' style. He is an absolute clutz

Was i!

I said he had "some aerial presence" and by that i meant he's a good overhead mark on the lead but it was taken out of context to mean he's got Riewoldt or Liam Ryan aerial presence. I stand by what i said. :)

What are posters thoughts on the ability of the Saints ability to develop kids, had a Richmond supporter just say to me the club has a bad culture and has not been able to develop kids. His context was Billings which I would think is a bad example.

Ratts has played a lot of kids over the last couple of months yes by necessity but still - Byrnes, Bytel, King, Marshall, Coffield, Clark, Highmore, Sharman all have huge scope.

Hoping that the Cats are not able to pinch a flag before age catches up with them.
Shit

won't get much mention but lets talk about Joyce's position in the side for a bit. I think he's proven himself worthy of a spot. Doesn't get the most touches but strong and physical enough to go with the big boys, one more preseason should do him well. Never shies away from a contest either
The last fortnight has me convinced. He needs to stay. Clav…. Meh. Oh d prefer to keep him as break glass in case of emergency type but if he’s delisted meh.

kent needs to be delisted. One good game every season is not good enough.

won't get much mention but lets talk about Joyce's position in the side for a bit. I think he's proven himself worthy of a spot. Doesn't get the most touches but strong and physical enough to go with the big boys, one more preseason should do him well. Never shies away from a contest either
06F6CBBC-EFE9-47BC-B823-756B7ACE57A7.jpeg

Thought Crouch had a fair game:

24 disposals (@50%, not great but then again they were pressured)
2 goals
5 tackles

Not a great game, but a fair game - good pick up this season.

Had the best second half of all our mids.

Bytel had the spot but didnt do enough with it. His 16 disposals a match weren't helping us win so he lost his spot like any midfielder continually contributing very little to a side would.

Dunstan banged down the door, got the opportunity and hasn't warranted being dropped.

As sh*t as you continually say Dunstan is, he is still delivering a lot more than Bytel was.
a few things are true here. Bytel will be good for us in the future, he didn't do enough for immediate impact in the seniors but showed potential, Dunstan had a ripping month and then decent after. Dunstan's lowered output was still overall more effective than Bytel at that point in the season. With one more preseason Bytel will be ready to take that next step but I hope there's no rewriting of history. He wasn't ready this year but he will be next year. When he plays well next year after the preseason it doesn't retrospectively mean that he was deserving all of this year.

He WILL be a gun next year

Looks like he just never got his rhythm this year with injuries.

- Missed 3.
- Played 1.
- Missed 1.
- Played 4.
- Missed 4.
- Played 4.
- Missed 1.
- Played 3.

Pretty hard to get any sort of continuity in a year like that.
Marshall had a season where he missed a large chunk of games , he had a off day , everyone does.
However Marshall always gives more than a few others in the team.

I didn't think it was about trying harder so much as just being more experienced and better

We took it up to a better side and were unlucky. Can't complain too much.Frustrating but can't help but respect the effort.

So 7 pages of autopsy mostly filled up with bagging Dunny and not one single mention of Zac Jones.

Great effort all round by the boys. Nearly won it against all the odds, injury to King made it hard, poor game by a few others made it harder.

Not far of it in my opinion - hope the players realise this year was a lost opportunity - if they do we will be finals bound next year

Sign Sharman now, kids gonna be a long term player for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back