Autopsy Round 22, 2021: Hawks walk the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Howe has always had all the tools, but just hasn't put it together consistently.

Some of that was getting his body right, some of it was being thrown around the field a bit and never quite settling. Seems to be really effective as a winger rather than a HBF.

I'm really interested to see what we do with his contract. After all the investment to date, now he's the perfect age to start getting some ROI. But will he see greater chances elsewhere.

Howe has always had all the tools, but just hasn't put it together consistently.

Some of that was getting his body right, some of it was being thrown around the field a bit and never quite settling. Seems to be really effective as a winger rather than a HBF.

I'm really interested to see what we do with his contract. After all the investment to date, now he's the perfect age to start getting some ROI. But will he see greater chances elsewhere.
We need wingmen. If he can do the job well let’s keep him

We need wingmen. If he can do the job well let’s keep him
We have Downie, Saunders, maybe Seamus to come through + maybe our hbfs to move up the field + likely a focus in draft. All can run and carry - something howe can’t do (and a pretty fundamental role of a wingman). Yes we have a issue in 2021 but likely to be fixed pretty quickly.

We have Downie, Saunders, maybe Seamus to come through + maybe our hbfs to move up the field + likely a focus in draft. All can run and carry - something howe can’t do (and a pretty fundamental role of a wingman). Yes we have a issue in 2021 but likely to be fixed pretty quickly.
All of those guys are unproven, and could have 1-2yrs development required. Whilst Howe is proving serviceable (and indeed, quite handy on the weekend gone). I'd much rather keep him until the others pass him. He always feels unconventional to me, but good things often happen around him.

2 keepers and a kid. If we are going to be a threat Phillips and Morrison need to be relegated to depth imo or bottom 6 at best.

I think that is what will ultimately happen when Downie continues to develop - hopefully he takes another step over pre-season and forces Mitchell to pick him.

As of now we have five options going into next season even if we lose Howe. That's not including CJ who may be moved up the ground too. Thankfully we have quite a few options now.

All of those guys are unproven, and could have 1-2yrs development required. Whilst Howe is proving serviceable (and indeed, quite handy on the weekend gone). I'd much rather keep him until the others pass him. He always feels unconventional to me, but good things often happen around him.
Downie already has the tank. Another preseason and don’t see why he couldn’t play 15+ games next year (assuming it’s a bit of a development year). Keeping a serviceable guy like howe is just clogging up opportunity for others (same with Phillips). Create some space and see what player steps up to fill the gap. The wing is one spot where kids can step in a play a role as strength/size not a key requirement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

End of an era, just back from watching the start of the main training session for the week.

As I posted in the Burgoyne thread, this session seemed to be more focused on the achievement and career of Shaun and his time at Hawthorn with his wife and children joining him and the playing group before they came out to train.

Good to see Sicily come down and join in even though didn't have to.

Jaith still has a knee brace on :(.

Good to see Gunston back and walking better than the last time I saw him (pre op, where he could hardly climb the steps at WP) . No surprise he did not participate.

Saw O'Meara & DGB, both look fit and ready to go.

As usual Sam and the other assistants running the show.

No media other than Channel 9 who came in earlier, I think to do a piece on Shaun Burgoyne, who was joined by his wife and children before the session started and the speeches made regarding his retirement.

Clarko as usual with supporters stopped to get his photo taken with a couple of women as well as receive a bottle of something nice from another supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2021: Hawks walk the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back