Autopsy Round 22, 2023 : Hawks leash the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure Amon’s game is getting enough love on here, probably because he’s such a good user of the ball it’s business as usual.

But for all that the Dogs screwed up by having English take the last kick in, there was still more than enough time for them to win it if Karl doesn’t make that tackle and get the HTB.

so many great individual efforts today - feels like inconsistent players are stepping up to say they want to stay

holding on when it counted is such a growth indicator. Although we're 16th on the ladder, being 17th and 18th seems like such a huge gap

two very big jobs done, hoping we can rattle the demons next week

He was just ok to me.
Couple of time’s English either marked unopposed or defended the goal without any resistance but he may not have been on him at the time.
Just want him to show some aggro, you’re 7 foot ffs. Clout those little *ers.
Gee, a bit tough there Buzz,

I think Neds last couple of weeks have been superb and shows he is on a rapid rise. Starting to take more marks, getting shots on goal and laying tackles around the stoppages. no surprise we have dominated the midfield they way he is giving first use to our boys.
He still has a way to go, but have been impressed with his new aggression at the stoppages. Seems much more determined to fight for front position.
I also think he didn't follow English to the goal line in an effort to save energy. 87% TOG.
He is also 2 years less experienced than English who is touted as AA ruck this year. Neds coming along really fine.

I reckon all the talk about Hawks giving finals a real shake in 2024 are a bit premature, but we are selling a great culture and exciting game plan to the rest of the comp.

Hopefully some FA's and trade targets are taking notice

There was much to like today but I'll share two of my favourite moments, firstly the Kosi 'handpass' for a goal...to see that Bulldogs little person pleading for the throw and then Brad Johnson sldo making a comment about it on the commentary...lack of self awareness is an unattractive trait.

Secondly in the 4th quarter Huddo says 'Karl Marx...(slight pause) Amon'

My brain first of all thought, 'hold on he was a communist-athiest not sure he'd appreciate the blessing'.

I reckon all the talk about Hawks giving finals a real shake in 2024 are a bit premature, but we are selling a great culture and exciting game plan to the rest of the comp.

Hopefully some FA's and trade targets are taking notice

Development isn't always linear. We might be better next year. We might not be. We've had a pretty blessed run for injuries.

But we definitely will be in 50 games time.

Josh Ward is a courageous campaigner. Eyes only on the ball, back to the flight of the ball late in the 4th quarter when the game was in the balance.

Could have been absolutely crunched but managed to take the mark.

Two games in a row he's had some big moments and stepped up.

I don't care if some consider him to be vanilla. Vanilla is a ****ing great flavour.

Josh Ward is a courageous campaigner. Eyes only on the ball, back to the flight of the ball late in the 4th quarter when the game was in the balance.

I don't care if some consider him to be vanilla. Vanilla is a ******* great flavour.
As the Barenaked ladies said "it's the finest of the flavours"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Development isn't always linear. We might be better next year. We might not be. We've had a pretty blessed run for injuries.

But we definitely will be in 50 games time.
Agreed - question for me is whether we gradually rise over the next two seasons (eg the crows now) or do we suddenly announce ourselves (eg the lions 5 years ago). First is more likely but can’t discount the second.

Those three games lost in the final seconds. If the siren had blown sooner the Hawks would have 10 wins and be a game outside the eight in 12th spot.
In the long run, as much as those losses hurt, one more year of a very high pick plus a future first with high currency, puts the list in a really good spot to rise in the future.

I don't care if some consider him to be vanilla. Vanilla is a ******* great flavour.
And to add to this go check his numbers on the GPS.

Robert Harvey vanilla'd his way to 2 brownlows. I agree, great flavour.

Since we were 1-8 and 60% we have gone 6-6 and 100.9%

Of the 6 losses we choked one away against Richmond. 4 while Sicily was suspended (thanks AFL!) and the horrible 1st quarter against St Kilda

Agreed - question for me is whether we gradually rise over the next two seasons (eg the crows now) or do we suddenly announce ourselves (eg the lions 5 years ago). First is more likely but can’t discount the second.
Our midfield is ready to go, like right now it's ready to make a tilt at the flag.

Question will be whether we can get our forward line up to the required level to make the most of this. We don't need a 2013 level forward line, just one that's around the mark (look at how well the Dees and Tigers did with some just okay front halfs).

All the talk about McKay, King, etc makes me think that Sam thinks the same and is ready to load up the front half with some trades for a solid crack at the finals sooner rather than later.

The argument the west tackle on Sicily was legit is rubbish. He wasn’t “trying to get back into the field of play” he made a beeline directly at him. Absolute horseshit it and if it’s deemed ok, then imagine what other ridiculous scenarios could play out.
West had entered the goal square before Sicily played on, should have been 50

The argument the west tackle on Sicily was legit is rubbish. He wasn’t “trying to get back into the field of play” he made a beeline directly at him. Absolute horseshit it and if it’s deemed ok, then imagine what other ridiculous scenarios could play out.
The protected zone from the afl rulebook.

363883183_273238858752441_4310951778087771769_n.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2023 : Hawks leash the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back