Autopsy Round 22, 2023 : Hawks leash the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Classic ugly Tassie game.

Looking forward to the Damo led enquiry into how we were allowed to draft Jai in the midseason draft.

"Form of tanking."

Didn't get to see the game today but am liking what I'm reading here on BF. Scrimshaw and Kosi playing well makes me very happy. Think we're a chance against Melbourne next week. A team with lots of talent but has poor structures and game plan. They've been winging for 2 years purely on talent alone.

Do Day and Newcombe do ballet? Watching them dance around campaigners is a thing of beauty!
I think most of the on ball brigade is very good with lateral movement in traffic. Wondering whether the midfield master of lateral movement Sammy Mitchell has shared a few tips. It is noticeable even with Worpel.

Our midfield has grown so much this year, it's really been a joy to watch them start to click and understand each other.

Newk was huge today, just bullied his way through contests and showed some composure that we are accustom to seeing from Sicily with ball in hand.
Day was massive in the first quarter particularly, when we were really struggling to get some scoreboard impact. Had a solid game overall but his first quarter was a big reason we weren't blown away early.
Nash is the underrated cog in our midfield, won a lot of clearances today but he's so big and strong and really makes it hard to match up on. We look a better side with him at the centre bounces.
Reeves was great today, won his share of taps but is starting to clunk some marks and definitely getting more involved off the ball.
Kosi is one I want to highlight, thought his papers might have been stamped but this role he's playing has given him a new found confidence and we are seeing that with his marking. He took a few of huge grabs (5 Contested!) to ease the pressure and I am wrapped for him.

Worpel was strong again, and Amon is such a reliable kick.

Shoutout to BMac, played a good game after an early mistake.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feels like Mitchell had a heart to heart with a few players about a month ago, Wingard, Kosi and Scrimshaw have all gone to another level and playing like they want to be apart of this team going forward.
Feel like it’s easier to do when the season is effectively over and we’re not playing for finals…
Not saying they can’t- but would love to see those 3 bring the same intensity from round 1 next season…

What a great weekend for sport. Yesterday with the Matilda's was massive and today just as good.

The old ticker still trying to calm down.

Strange old game. Dogs looked done and dusted and then, who knows where it came from but suddenly they started running and spreading and getting the ball down their end and kick vital goals.

I thought the problems of earlier in the season of losing by mere points was going to rear its ugly head (Giants 2pt loss, Crows 3pt loss and Tigers 1pt loss) but no, we showed something extra and win by 3points.

Phew. Great time to be a Hawk supporter, Go Hawks.
Those three games lost in the final seconds. If the siren had blown sooner the Hawks would have 10 wins and be a game outside the eight in 12th spot.

Another tough game for the Kosi, Harry and Scrimshaw detractors if we're being honest.

This may surprise people, but Kosi was our 5th best player according to Champion Data.
As a Scrimshaw and Kosi detractor, or "detractor" I'm perfectly happy! Kosi is taking marks when he didn't before, and Scrimshaw is playing tighter, harder defensive footy when he wasn't before. Great game for me, personally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2023 : Hawks leash the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back