Prediction Round 22, 2024: Changes vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually no-one deserves charity selections just to reach a milestone but it's hardly the worst decision the clubs made during this period. Send JD round again as he's going to finish the year a few short as well, and once Cripps ticks off 250 we can start to look at how we get another 50 games into him too. It's not a proper AFL career unless you get to 300 games and they're club legends every single one of them. etc etc.

bed652511e6649fa8c3fae52e688c254.jpg

Its not like the other players will be pissed off Gaff is getting gifted 2 games. They know it's the end for him and he's not getting picked because of preferential treatment, but rather to finish his career. The problem is when players are selected consistently due to their name and not performing

Its not like the other players will be pissed off Gaff is getting gifted 2 games. They know it's the end for him and he's not getting picked because of preferential treatment, but rather to finish his career. The problem is when players are selected consistently due to their name and not performing
He will only end up playing a handful of games this year - and as his WAFL form says he should be considered, it's not inconceivable that he could be selected anyway. It's a big deal him reaching life membership, which I totally understand would be one of many things factored in selection.

Perfectly fine with Gaff getting two games to reach AFL life membership

Thought something was in the works when he was withdrawn from the WAFL game but was thrown by the 297/298 qualifying games. Thought it was unlikely he’d play a retirement game at MDMA

Turns out it’s only 2 games so he plays North before a send off game against Carlton at home

Deserves it
It would be extremely disrespectful not to have him play the two games. 300 games and AFL life membership its a tough journey and a very well deserved recognition pf his service to the game.

As a general rule, you don't give charity games, and I was wondering if they would gift him a farewell home game against Carlton or just go the lap of honour. But for such an achievement and to be so close, I can see why they are doing it. We're not challenging for finals, it's a nice way to send off a club champion.
It also doesn't hurt that we're playing North this week

Loyalty goes both ways so giving Gaff a couple of games is hardly the end of the world. Sounds like we'll have a couple of injuries to cover and there'd be a decent chance he'd start as sub.

Hoping he’s the sub this week for two reasons :

1) Would prefer a younger player get the game time to develop since Gaff is essentially being played for the stated purpose of reaching a milestone
2) He needs to play 2 games to reach said milestone so it’d be a shame if he got injured. Playing him as sub reduces the risk of that happening

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're no chance to win this. Its in tassie

You’d have to be a chance.

North still don’t know how to win. All 3 of our winds this year have seen the opposition given chances at the death despite us being 3-4 goals up in the last qrt.

I saw someone say Yeo said the eagles are banged up. We are a bit the same.

I’d say after this game a few of our guys will go in for surgery for the last 2 weeks of the season. Comben especially, though he looks that sore I hope he doesn’t play this week.

50/50 game imo

North still don’t know how to win. All 3 of our winds this year have seen the opposition given chances at the death despite us being 3-4 goals up in the last qrt.

I’d say after this game a few of our guys will go in for surgery for the last 2 weeks of the season. Comben especially, though he looks that sore I hope he doesn’t play this week.

50/50 game imo
Half of North's wins over the last 3 years have been against WCE. You're almost lock of the week.

50/50 game imo
When was the last time we beat North in Tassie?
I'll wait...

Agreed that it's a good decision, especially considering LEdwards is out and Chesser is being trialled in a new position (the original wingers to start the year).

He's been putting in effort in the WAFL.

Maric and Hall are quite new to the wing position and Gaff gets 2 games, one possibly as the sub, in a position he managed to do ok at when recalled mid-season.

Against the saints he was rated our 12th best player.

Against the Kangaroos he was rated our 7th best player.

Then he was dropped again. He signed after 2018 when he could have gone elsewhere, he deserves this and the fans deserve to see him play once more at home. We're not vying for finals, our ladder position can hardly change.

Yeah. And getting him to AFL life membership is strong in building club culture too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back