Game Day Round 22: Brisbane Lions vs Collingwood Magpies (14/8, 7:25PM, Gabba)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Throwing up the match-day thread a little bit earlier because I'll be at work when the game gets started. Go Pies!

LINE UPS:
1628806674827.png
FB: Darcy Gardiner - Harris Andrews - Brandon Starcevich
HB: Grant Birchall - Ryan Lester - Daniel Rich
C: Hugh McCluggage - Zac Bailey - Jarrod Berry
HF: Lincoln McArthy - Daniel McStay - Dayne Zorko
FF: Callum Ah Chee - Joe Daniher - Charlie Cameron
FOLL: Oscar McInerney - Jarrod Lyons - Lachie Neale
INT:
Nakia Cockatoo - Kedean Coleman - Jaxon Prior - Tom Fullarton

1628807003490.png
FB: Trey Ruscoe - Jordan Roughead - Brayden Maynard
HB: Jack Crisp - Jack Madgen - Chris Mayne
C: Will Hoskin-Elliott - Jordan De Goey - Josh Daicos
HF:
Josh Thomas - Darcy Cameron - Ollie Henry
FF: Jack Ginnivan - Brodie Mihocek - Jamie Elliott
FOLL: Brodie Grundy - Steele Sidebottom - Taylor Adams
INT: Trent Bianco - Finley Macrae - Beau McCreery - Nathan Murphy
LAST MEETING:
I'm not quite sure anyone needs to relive that horror show, but in case anybody has forgotten: the Pies were ahead almost the entire game, led by a dominant Brodie Grundy, strong defensive work from Roughead and Howe, and typical silk from the skipper. The game was quite memorable for all the wrong reasons - the Lions come storming back in the second half, Cal Brown misses a 30m set shot, and Zac Bailey kicks the winner on the siren. Final score: 73-72 to Brisbane.

FORM LINE:

1628807681546.png

The form between the two teams isn't actually that different. Recent losses to Hawthorn, recent big victories over teams from WA, both 2-3 in their last 5. Obvious difference is that Brisbane is 5th on the ladder and the Pies are 16th, but both teams will be eager to improve their form.

THE MATCH:
Forgive the naturally Pie-eyed slant of this spiel, but I cannot help myself. The Pies have really changed their modus operandi under Robert Harvey. The conservative stifling play of old is long forgotten - now, the Pies are one of the most aggressive, play-on heavy teams in the competition. It absolutely blew open West Coast, leaving them looking like they were playing in concrete boots, but against Hawthorn it was far less effective, indicative of a perhaps lacking plan B. Will Harvey adjust for Brisbane?
We're rolling with a very different team this week, with our two key running half-backs out (Quaynor and Noble) and their replacements (Murphy and Bianco) are not particularly speedy. Will we try and return somewhat to the mark-heavy gameplan of old? I hope not, and I truly doubt it, but against the mosquito fleet of Brisbane it will be a very interesting clash of styles.

The Lions are bringing in Lachie Neale, which at face value is a huge in for them - we all know how big it was for us to bring Taylor Adams back in. Interestingly, with Neale in the side the Lions are 6-7. Without him, they're 7-0. That's a startling difference to me, who has not paid attention to them at all this year. The midfield battle will be a very interesting one, given Grundy and McCluggage were the two best players last time they met. I'm sure each coach will be trying to limit the effectiveness of the other.

Joe Daniher is another person to pay attention to. His roaming style of play can give Moore trouble (especially given Daniher is 6'6", runs like a gazelle and is more accurate from 60 out than 20), but without Moore the job will undoubtedly go to Roughead. That shapes up to be very interesting, given Daniher is incredibly inconsistent yet brilliant, whereas Roughead is unspectacular and reliable.
Another key focal point is down the other end, with Harris Andrews. Andrews is one of the premier key defenders in the competition, and often has his way with teams who have poor entries inside 50. Like us. We will really need to lower our eyes kicking to our forwards, and hopefully the additions of Bianco and Daicos can bolster that effort.

There will be scattered showers in Brisbane on Saturday, but nothing significant enough to have an impact as far as I can tell.

There's a lot of history between these two clubs over the last 20 years, and the last two meetings have been narrow victories going the Lions way. That stops now. Our backs are against the wall yet again in regards to COVID - will the 'Dirty Pies' make a resurgence? FIFO mission to belt the Lions? I hope so. We're fielding an incredibly inexperienced side, we're a bottom 4 team, half our leadership group is out. We've got nothing to lose!

PREDICTION:
Pies by 36 points, McCreery kicks 4.

Excellent work mate, and thank you.

It was nice to have Howe back but his together with IQ's absence leaves the defence looking "wooden", especially so without Moore.

Then again, if this isn't a backs to the walls game what is? If the kids we are putting on the field tonight can put up a brave contest it will solidify my view that Harvey has done an outstanding job as a caretaker coach.

Our future is not as bleak as it once seemed.

Pies by 1 point, Ginnivan to nail his shot for goal in the closing stages.

Excellent work mate, and thank you.

It was nice to have Howe back but his together with IQ's absence leaves the defence looking "wooden", especially so without Moore.

Then again, if this isn't a backs to the walls game what is? If the kids we are putting on the field tonight can put up a brave contest it will solidify my view that Harvey has done an outstanding job as a caretaker coach.

Our future is not as bleak as it once seemed.

Pies by 1 point, Ginnivan to nail his shot for goal in the closing stages.
I like the romance of beating them by 1 point, especially with Ginnivan getting the sealer. He's my favourite to troll oppo fans for years with his free-kick hunting.

Daniel Rich always plays well against us.

Great preview, gouki88. One question for you. Who do you think will play the running hb roles of Noble and Quaynor. Murphy and Bianco have been nominated, but do you really think they will line up in those positions given their lack of speed? Will we have a plan to counter the influence of Andrews in the backline?

Throwing up the match-day thread a little bit earlier because I'll be at work when the game gets started. Go Pies!

LINE UPS:
View attachment 1204306
FB: Darcy Gardiner - Harris Andrews - Brandon Starcevich
HB: Grant Birchall - Ryan Lester - Daniel Rich
C: Hugh McCluggage - Zac Bailey - Jarrod Berry
HF: Lincoln McArthy - Daniel McStay - Dayne Zorko
FF: Callum Ah Chee - Joe Daniher - Charlie Cameron
FOLL: Oscar McInerney - Jarrod Lyons - Lachie Neale
INT:
Nakia Cockatoo - Kedean Coleman - Jaxon Prior - Tom Fullarton

View attachment 1204324
FB: Trey Ruscoe - Jordan Roughead - Brayden Maynard
HB: Jack Crisp - Jack Madgen - Chris Mayne
C: Will Hoskin-Elliott - Jordan De Goey - Josh Daicos
HF:
Josh Thomas - Darcy Cameron - Ollie Henry
FF: Jack Ginnivan - Brodie Mihocek - Jamie Elliott
FOLL: Brodie Grundy - Steele Sidebottom - Taylor Adams
INT: Trent Bianco - Finley Macrae - Beau McCreery - Nathan Murphy
LAST MEETING:
I'm not quite sure anyone needs to relive that horror show, but in case anybody has forgotten: the Pies were ahead almost the entire game, led by a dominant Brodie Grundy, strong defensive work from Roughead and Howe, and typical silk from the skipper. The game was quite memorable for all the wrong reasons - the Lions come storming back in the second half, Cal Brown misses a 30m set shot, and Zac Bailey kicks the winner on the siren. Final score: 73-72 to Brisbane.

FORM LINE:

View attachment 1204348

The form between the two teams isn't actually that different. Recent losses to Hawthorn, recent big victories over teams from WA, both 2-3 in their last 5. Obvious difference is that Brisbane is 5th on the ladder and the Pies are 16th, but both teams will be eager to improve their form.

THE MATCH:
Forgive the naturally Pie-eyed slant of this spiel, but I cannot help myself. The Pies have really changed their modus operandi under Robert Harvey. The conservative stifling play of old is long forgotten - now, the Pies are one of the most aggressive, play-on heavy teams in the competition. It absolutely blew open West Coast, leaving them looking like they were playing in concrete boots, but against Hawthorn it was far less effective, indicative of a perhaps lacking plan B. Will Harvey adjust for Brisbane?
We're rolling with a very different team this week, with our two key running half-backs out (Quaynor and Noble) and their replacements (Murphy and Bianco) are not particularly speedy. Will we try and return somewhat to the mark-heavy gameplan of old? I hope not, and I truly doubt it, but against the mosquito fleet of Brisbane it will be a very interesting clash of styles.

The Lions are bringing in Lachie Neale, which at face value is a huge in for them - we all know how big it was for us to bring Taylor Adams back in. Interestingly, with Neale in the side the Lions are 6-7. Without him, they're 7-0. That's a startling difference to me, who has not paid attention to them at all this year. The midfield battle will be a very interesting one, given Grundy and McCluggage were the two best players last time they met. I'm sure each coach will be trying to limit the effectiveness of the other.

Joe Daniher is another person to pay attention to. His roaming style of play can give Moore trouble (especially given Daniher is 6'6", runs like a gazelle and is more accurate from 60 out than 20), but without Moore the job will undoubtedly go to Roughead. That shapes up to be very interesting, given Daniher is incredibly inconsistent yet brilliant, whereas Roughead is unspectacular and reliable.
Another key focal point is down the other end, with Harris Andrews. Andrews is one of the premier key defenders in the competition, and often has his way with teams who have poor entries inside 50. Like us. We will really need to lower our eyes kicking to our forwards, and hopefully the additions of Bianco and Daicos can bolster that effort.

There will be scattered showers in Brisbane on Saturday, but nothing significant enough to have an impact as far as I can tell.

There's a lot of history between these two clubs over the last 20 years, and the last two meetings have been narrow victories going the Lions way. That stops now. Our backs are against the wall yet again in regards to COVID - will the 'Dirty Pies' make a resurgence? FIFO mission to belt the Lions? I hope so. We're fielding an incredibly inexperienced side, we're a bottom 4 team, half our leadership group is out. We've got nothing to lose!

PREDICTION:
Pies by 36 points, McCreery kicks 4.
Thank you for coming off the bench to do this. :thumbsu: Great work and thanks.

Brisbane are coming along nicely and I agree Daniher can be a match winner or play very little part in scoring. Hope it is the later tonight.

Not sure I share your confidence though with the win sadly.:(

Thank you again.

Without Howe, Moore, quaynor and noble we are lacking in the air and speed. Noble has his moments of turnovers but I’m surprised he’s left out. Only way to win this one is to limit the supply of inside 50’s which will be tough with the addition of Neale. I think a little bit of rain wouldn’t hurt our chances, if it’s dry we may struggle to contain them.

big games needed by crispy and Maynard. Cameron needs to hit the scoreboard more

seasons over but we can still shape the 8. Let’a go pies!

Great preview, gouki88. One question for you. Who do you think will play the running hb roles of Noble and Quaynor. Murphy and Bianco have been nominated, but do you really think they will line up in those positions given their lack of speed? Will we have a plan to counter the influence of Andrews in the backline?
It's definitely tricky. I reckon Crisp will have to see less midfield time to help out in the backline with his speed. Daicos should allow him to play more in the backline. I also think we'll see WHE push back defensively to try and give some run.

Harris Andrews will be tough. We did well against McGovern a fortnight ago, but Andrews is more athletic. Need to lower our eyes going inside 50. Hopefully we can force him to be accountable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any way of making my Sansumg 85 incher.. auto switch off.. when the Madge is in 5 metres vicinity of the pill?

Yep it is called a remote control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back