Prediction Round 22 Changes vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Hughes is better for the team defensively. He’s experienced, can intercept.
Wouldn’t mind him play in the backline and put Chapman wing, on bench and play a role up forward.
Chapman wants to rebound - but already have Wagner, Walker and Clark.
Yeah I'm genuinely at the point where I think Hughes needs to be in the team over Chapman. Way too many poor games in a row. That opinion will probably change once I see Hughes at AFL level again, but we need someone to be marking and spoiling these balls.

Out

Emmett - weeks and we are better off playing the extra mid on rotation

Chapman - give him a week rest (he can become a top 5 player in this team) though he might be the Dempsey matchup

Erasmus - get a full game at peel, developing well

In

Aish full game (Geelong have a few small
Fwds)

Fyfe - enough said, needed him to steady ship in last

Johnson - his size is important

NOD - sub, bring the energy

I think Chapman is building for 2025 and the more experience we can get into him the better.

Not even close to 50 games yet, literally a third of his entire career has been this season.

He has been shocking for a long time now, but I won't be surprised to see him stay in the side, similar to Brandon Walker who is very solid now but he's also played a season more games, a good twenty odd more, than Chapman and needed to be persevered with

JL's conservatism at play here.

Reidy should've played instead of Darcy (injured/underdone).
Brodie should've played instead of Erasmus (or even a couple of others).
Erasmus should not have been subbed.

He's doing what he thinks is safe/logical, to elevate as coach he needs a killer instinct and he lacks it right now.

I think Chapman is building for 2025 and the more experience we can get into him the better.

Not even close to 50 games yet, literally a third of his entire career has been this season.

He has been shocking for a long time now, but I won't be surprised to see him stay in the side, similar to Brandon Walker who is very solid now but he's also played a season more games, a good twenty odd more, than Chapman and needed to be persevered with
Building for 2025? Then play for Peel and bring in Hughes who’s already experienced and fit. Play for top 4 2024.
Chapman shouldn’t be getting favours.
If he’s rusty/unfit, he has to be in WAFL.

JL's conservatism at play here.

Reidy should've played instead of Darcy (injured/underdone).
Brodie should've played instead of Erasmus (or even a couple of others).
Erasmus should not have been subbed.

He's doing what he thinks is safe/logical, to elevate as coach he needs a killer instinct and he lacks it right now.
Will never play Reidy. Never.
Jackson was garbage up forward. Didn’t get many centre bounces.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Building for 2025? Then play for Peel and bring in Hughes who’s already experienced and fit. Play for top 4 2024.
Chapman shouldn’t be getting favours.
If he’s rusty/unfit, he has to be in WAFL.
Hughes is a dead set plodder, may as well get games into the younger brigade still rather than go back to Hughes.

Jackson wasn't garbage, kicked 2 had a hand in a couple more, his work off the ball to get Treacy & Amiss one on ones is underrated

He needed to be involved more but kicked a couple, set up two, blocked so Freddy could mark in a manner not many could and won a couple of other key contests. I do think he is carrying something or got a knock, perhaps his cork? We needed him at more centre bounces and up the ground a little.

The forward line was not the biggest issue yesterday - they had problems locking the ball in, but aside from that they played like a unit that will square the shizen out of the comp over the next five years.

The issue was in the midfield. Opponents getting easy separation and getting the ball deep into our forward line. Serong was in and out of the game, Young didn't seem to be able to get his hands on to slow anyone down out of the middle.

Add to that 5-6 shocking possessions by Serong when under minimal pressure and at times we shot ourselves in the foot.

I think we need to take a look at our starting midfield rotation. Serong - Brayshaw - Young seems to be susceptible to bigger mids early. Or give it two CB and then rotate someone else in.

Hughes is a dead set plodder, may as well get games into the younger brigade still rather than go back to Hughes.

He is anti fast ball movement.

We have Wags in the team primarily to add run and attack. It does mean we lose some defensively.

Walker looked very good yesterday as he wasn't on a gun small. He could attack more. We are set up for fast ball movement from the back half. It does mean we will get exposed at times if the mids can't slow transition or the ball from stoppages. We are one of the easiest teams to move the ball against over the last 8 weeks. Does it matter if we are killing it in attack? That is the question. It certainly matters at the moment when Pearce is out. Yesterday even Ryan struggled at times as the ball was coming in so fast he couldn't position like normal.

He needed to be involved more but kicked a couple, set up two, blocked so Freddy could mark in a manner not many could and won a couple of other key contests. I do think he is carrying something or got a knock, perhaps his cork? We needed him at more centre bounces and up the ground a little.

The forward line was not the biggest issue yesterday - they had problems locking the ball in, but aside from that they played like a unit that will square the shizen out of the comp over the next five years.

The issue was in the midfield. Opponents getting easy separation and getting the ball deep into our forward line. Serong was in and out of the game, Young didn't seem to be able to get his hands on to slow anyone down out of the middle.

Add to that 5-6 shocking possessions by Serong when under minimal pressure and at times we shot ourselves in the foot.

I think we need to take a look at our starting midfield rotation. Serong - Brayshaw - Young seems to be susceptible to bigger mids early. Or give it two CB and then rotate someone else in.
When Fyfe is playing he should not be starting on bench. We seen already instances in games this year, where he started bench and our mids can't win the clearances until he comes on. Maybe it's less of a factor when the oppos mids fatigue, but not when fresh at the first bounce. We need get off to good starts

I’m all in on why Brodie wasn’t selected in that last qtr needed a more experienced clearance player. Erasmus was subbed out to

Because our % is pretty good a draw would have almost been a win. The sign on the bench should have been get goal side and take the draw.

The next 2 months are massive though, we were 30 seconds away on the weekend from 3rd on the ladder and from there anything is possible.

Pick the best 23 from here for 2024, 2025 and beyond can wait.

Because our % is pretty good a draw would have almost been a win. The sign on the bench should have been get goal side and take the draw.
Yes there is always more focus on "the process and not the outcome". Sometimes in the scenario we had it is better with 27 seconds left to focus on the outcome, a draw gets us 2 points and maintains touch on the top 4.

Aish as sub has little impact. Either he's in the 22 or he's at Peel.

IMO -
In - Fyfe, Simpson
Out - Aish, O'Meara (rested)

Sub - Emmett

I'm giving Erasmus another go, should have subbed Emmett off yesterday.

Yes there is always more focus on "the process and not the outcome". Sometimes in the scenario we had it is better with 27 seconds left to focus on the outcome, a draw gets us 2 points and maintains touch on the top 4.

The coach on the bench is always holding up signs, JLo and Co in the box should have been on the phone to him as Amiss was lining up saying if it goes through hold up the defensive structure sign.

The next 2 months are massive though, we were 30 seconds away on the weekend from 3rd on the ladder and from there anything is possible.

Pick the best 23 from here for 2024, 2025 and beyond can wait.
Agree. If Hughes is playing well and at this current time will perform the def role we need , esp how we set up def without Pearce, he should come in.

Some are so adverse to this as it means we somehow going backwards or them being wrong🤣

For his offensive limitations, what he does well is provided a contest. Too many times lately, seen our def get out marked or in some instances noone even going up to contest

Last edited:
When Fyfe is playing he should not be starting on bench. We seen already instances in games this year, where he started bench and our mids can't win the clearances until he comes on. Maybe it's less of a factor when the oppos mids fatigue, but not when fresh at the first bounce. We need get off to good starts

I can't remember which game it was, possibly the loss to the Bulldogs. But there was a game earlier in the season where Brayshaw started on the wing and we were really poor early and Will Schofield on his podcast said that we need to start each game with Brayshaw/Serong/Young in the middle. Not suggesting the coaches take advice from Will Schofield but since that happened we've started each game with Brayshaw/Serong/Young.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 22 Changes vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back