Review Round 22 - Essendon @ Marvel Stadium - 10th August 2024 - 7:30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Rowell has been incredible that last 2 weeks, back to his early season form. You have to think he was playing sore there for a while.
I love mac Andrew down back but 7 goal in his first 2 games forward is this permanent now? Scary to think that he has so much improvement to come.
Will Graham is going to be a star of the comp, tough, quick, clean.
Be patient with walter there is star qualities there, 2 goals 7 touches 47% game time isn't a bad return, was just starting to feel it before getting subbed off.
Some lesser likes stood up, budarick and holman were good and lemmens shut out Gresham and put his body on the line a few times.
I did love Graham taking two bounces. The third pushed it, but gotta admire his will to break tackles and try and do something. Same can be said for Rowell. Sometimes it just doesn’t come off, but can’t deny the will to lift the team.

Lemmens was good enough I feel to hold his place as a lockdown defender. But Uwland has gone past him by a long way. Still, maybe there is room for two actual small defenders on our team? Didn’t seem to hurt our rebound too much for most of the night.

Lemmens was good enough I feel to hold his place as a lockdown defender. But Uwland has gone past him by a long way. Still, maybe there is room for two actual small defenders on our team? Didn’t seem to hurt our rebound too much for most of the night.
Is there room for 3 though?Budarick played last night

Is there room for 3 though?Budarick played last night
I don’t think Budders is a lockdown, but maybe he is. And yeah, probably. Lemmens isn’t afraid to put his body on the line, same with Uwland.

Move Weller or Powell to a wing perhaps if we go back to three talls, or bring JJ back as third “tall” if we want some ball use too.

Definitely some things to play around with and get the balance right over the next few games. Give Dimma a bit to think about over the off-season.

quick points

Mac pushing the bombers player with 2mins left and seeing King run over and pull him away showed great leadership and want to win, turning point as a club imo.

better team with Budarick in it. Have and always will say it, maybe swapping time on the wing with a weller/powell/davies next year i like it a lot.

Davies is a gun, just play him. kid could be anything with 20 games into him.

Also LOL at the bombers fan who mentioned andrews was a spud hahaha!

quick points

Mac pushing the bombers player with 2mins left and seeing King run over and pull him away showed great leadership and want to win, turning point as a club imo.

better team with Budarick in it. Have and always will say it, maybe swapping time on the wing with a weller/powell/davies next year i like it a lot.

They wish Nik Cox was Mac Andrew

Well spoken from Dimma. Like how he explained it. Only knock is Dimma cost us a potential vfl top 4 and avoiding the wildcard game ahah (especially since we played one short anyway)

But I’ll take a Mac win after the siren as payoff
Although l understand what he's saying re Lukocious l disagree with that. So does everyone else out of form get a 'circuit breaker' weekend off.
The best circuit breaker for him would have been to lace up at Windy Hill in front of 500 people, get roughed up by some plumbers and PE teachers and work through his issues IMO.

Sent from my SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, that was beyond sweet. Half meter between euphoria and criticism from fans. That kick was originally heading for behind.

We had no right to steal the game based on the last quarter. Replay that quarter and Essendon would win it 10 out of 10. Just incredible and even sweeter to finish Essendon season.

Mental relief was culpable. Wish it came earlier in the season. Saints and North games still haunts me.

I thought it was enjoyable game to watch and we played well for 3 quarters. We missed as usual our opportunities especially in 3rd quarter. In the last quarter we looked again similar to Eagles game tired, could not take game on, move the ball. The same kick ins over and over.

We still struggled in centre clearances and lost there comprehensively. IMO, persevere with Davies there please despite his ordinary come back game and some blunders.

2nd youngest teams of the round. We will benefit from it next year. I can't wait for kids to get another preseason under belt and hopefully progress further.

Budarick showed glimpses of his best. Walter just when ridiculed by fans scored important goals. King worked hard.

Rowell again at his best (he did say in his presser this week he had some body issues).

Best season from Collins.

Clohesy was to his best early season performances.

Graham, the ultimate fighter.

Long impressive.

But in the end it was all about Mac.

Dimma update on Luko looked fair. The more I look at our line-up, talls, not sure there will be spot for Luko, at least not in 2-3 years considering we got Andrew the budding star, when hopefully Walter, Read develop and demand regular spots and there will be a need to pay young players starting with Mac. Rowell is out of contract too next year.

Who says the games are not worth watching when finals are gone. It was bloody enjoyable yesterday.

I did love Graham taking two bounces. The third pushed it, but gotta admire his will to break tackles and try and do something. Same can be said for Rowell. Sometimes it just doesn’t come off, but can’t deny the will to lift the team.

I have never thought Lemmens is of AFL quality he just doesn't understand the game or read the play and instead just bashes and crashes Pretty sure that would have been his last AFL game for us

quick points

Budders was back to his cool, composed self with great disposal

It won't get spoken about much, but the team that broke the away curse tonight was ridiculously young. The 14 Suns players aged 24 or younger tonight - Ben King (24), Will Powell (24), Matt Rowell (23), Noah Anderson (23), Sam Flanders (23), Connor Budarick (23), Aled Davies (22), Bodhi Uwland (21), Sam Clohesy (21), Mac Andrew (20), Bailey Humphrey (19), Jed Walter (19), Will Graham (19) & Jake Rogers (19).

Also, Dimma has officially broken his Marvel coaching curse now. Massive.
This is a good point. Especially as most of the key players in the team are young. The midfield of Rowell, Ando, and Ned going up against more experienced players most weeks is significant. Can't live on potential forever I know but there is still a lot to come from these guys.

Although l understand what he's saying re Lukocious l disagree with that. So does everyone else out of form get a 'circuit breaker' weekend off.
The best circuit breaker for him would have been to lace up at Windy Hill in front of 500 people, get roughed up by some plumbers and PE teachers and work through his issues IMO.

Sent from my SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dimma's not going to come out and say he's useless just before trade period! ;)
It was just a long winded way of saying he's a required player/superb human/enormous talent so bring money flowers condoms and a first round pick if you want to meet us

Rowell has been incredible that last 2 weeks, back to his early season form. You have to think he was playing sore there for a while.
I love mac Andrew down back but 7 goal in his first 2 games forward is this permanent now? Scary to think that he has so much improvement to come.
Will Graham is going to be a star of the comp, tough, quick, clean.
Be patient with walter there is star qualities there, 2 goals 7 touches 47% game time isn't a bad return, was just starting to feel it before getting subbed off.
Some lesser likes stood up, budarick and holman were good and lemmens shut out Gresham and put his body on the line a few times.
Concur......only watched the 2nd half but thought Long did some good things too.

Didn't really see much of the melee at half time so was unsure what Mac had to do with it.
I just watched it and he was miles away from the initial part as he was talking with Witta walking towards the boys.
He only became involved when Stringer was having a go at Jake Rodgers and went all in on the whole lot of them.
Great intensity from him for protecting one of our smaller players (I was going to say younger but Macs not much older)
Pea heart effort from Stinger

We have always lacked mongrel
I said it 10 years ago
People talk-correctly- about the GAJ shoulder injury in 2014 but IMO losing Nathan Bock was more Club defining for us
He was one of those huge talents that exudes menace and makes players around him walk 10 foot tall
It's taken us a while but guys like Mac , Bobby U , Sam Collins, even Budders are bringing the junkyard dog that we've needed

Last edited:
Still on a bit of a high from that kick last night, which is incredible considering the state of despair I was in this time yesterday for our season.

Obviously Mac will be elite anywhere on the ground, but I don’t think you can move him out of the second ruck/kpf role now. 7 goals in 6 quarters with almost 0 forwardcraft, the sky is the limit.

Also really enjoying the growth of King around the ground. Really starting to get up the ground and clunk a few and get involved while using his wheels and footskills to burn his opponent. If he can keep doing that while kicking 3 goals, we are in a real good position.

Best I’ve seen Matty Rowell move in some time, although Essendon’s contested pressure is as bad as ours. Loved seeing him burst away from stoppages, he seemed as shocked as anyone with how much space he had (that bounce :grimacing:). Davies also cracking in seemed to give him a bit more freedoms to get outside.

Ben Long is possibly our most improved player even with the improvement of Bob and Mac. Some of his marking at half-forward made us at least 3 goals better off. To me, he is playing the role we want and expect of Luko as almost a third tall target and link up player, with the added bonus of elite pressure and bone-rattling tackles.

And finally, he didn’t get much of it, but I think there will be a spot for Jakey Rogers as we continue to work on our forward entries. Had a real almost game with a few fumbles, but needs the experience. That play where he had King standing in the square calling for it on his head while Jake was waiting for him to lead at him into the paddock in the pocket was an example of where we can improve. Forwards have to identify that when he gets it in those spots, they have to get on their bike to use the space and trust he will him them on the chest. Same as Luko when/if he comes back.

Still on a bit of a high from that kick last night, which is incredible considering the state of despair I was in this time yesterday for our season.

Obviously Mac will be elite anywhere on the ground, but I don’t think you can move him out of the second ruck/kpf role now. 7 goals in 6 quarters with almost 0 forwardcraft, the sky is the limit.

Also really enjoying the growth of King around the ground. Really starting to get up the ground and clunk a few and get involved while using his wheels and footskills to burn his opponent. If he can keep doing that while kicking 3 goals, we are in a real good position.

Best I’ve seen Matty Rowell move in some time, although Essendon’s contested pressure is as bad as ours. Loved seeing him burst away from stoppages, he seemed as shocked as anyone with how much space he had (that bounce :grimacing:). Davies also cracking in seemed to give him a bit more freedoms to get outside.

Ben Long is possibly our most improved player even with the improvement of Bob and Mac. Some of his marking at half-forward made us at least 3 goals better off. To me, he is playing the role we want and expect of Luko as almost a third tall target and link up player, with the added bonus of elite pressure and bone-rattling tackles.

And finally, he didn’t get much of it, but I think there will be a spot for Jakey Rogers as we continue to work on our forward entries. Had a real almost game with a few fumbles, but needs the experience. That play where he had King standing in the square calling for it on his head while Jake was waiting for him to lead at him into the paddock in the pocket was an example of where we can improve. Forwards have to identify that when he gets it in those spots, they have to get on their bike to use the space and trust he will him them on the chest. Same as Luko when/if he comes back.
i thought you were a bombers supporter with that DP :tearsofjoy:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22 - Essendon @ Marvel Stadium - 10th August 2024 - 7:30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Back