Game Day Round 22 vs. Sydney, SCG, 7:40pm Friday 09/08

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to know what it is that Long shows that allows him to have a string of full games instead of being subbed/dropped like Macrae/Reef. I can't remember one moment/passage of play with Long where I was like wow there's something there.

Maybe it's the simple fact he's a SSP/mid season draft. We seem to give those guys easy debuts and a run of games whilst our first round picks don't get picked unless they've dominated for months and get dropped the second they have a low impact game in the seniors.
He’s a big lump of meat that can tackle.
No way Cox goes out. He is vital for our structure. He kicked twice as many goals as Curnow and McKay did. What more do you want?
Stupid mistakes, lack of aerial presence and zero agility below his knees cancels his benefits.
I can’t wait until Smit makes Cox redundant.

How any one can watch tonight's game and make such a comment is beyond me. Truly.

Sam McClure was 100% right in his debate with Kane Cornes a few weeks ago. Mason is really important to our structure, his pure disposal numbers are not always a true reflection of what he offers.

I’ll argue with anyone about Mason Cox though. He actually doesn’t get the respect he deserves for his career. Constantly labelled by opposition supporters as a “spud who’s played 1 good game”, I suspect people are salty that an American has come from absolutely nowhere and had a more successful AFL career than they could’ve ever dreamed about running around their backyards as a kid.

Sam McClure was 100% right in his debate with Kane Cornes a few weeks ago. Mason is really important to our structure, his pure disposal numbers are not always a true reflection of what he offers.

I’ll argue with anyone about Mason Cox though. He actually doesn’t get the respect he deserves for his career. Constantly labelled by opposition supporters as a “spud who’s played 1 good game”, I suspect people are salty that an American has come from absolutely nowhere and had a more successful AFL career than they could’ve ever dreamed about running around their backyards as a kid.
Cornes wouldn’t know shit from clay.
He’s had more arguments shot down than there are holes in cheese.
Full of hot air and not much else.

Out DeGoey/Bytel
In 2of Richards/HH/Allan
Long can run with a Parker or Warner, purely as a bigger defensive body?
Bytel just guards grass.
Lipinski very very lucky.

We keep thinking that Long can be a 'defensive big body' because he doesn't win the ball (at all) and has a big body. But he doesn't lock down opposition inside mids at all - if he did, he would have been the perfect candidate for Cripps.

Long needs to be dropped, along with Bytel.

The question is, how do we cover De Goey’s loss. The need to get back Mitchell is more important then ever now. Going to be hard to get close to finals without De Goey, Mitchell and Mihocek. Who can step up in the midfield and cover their losses? Is Mitchell due to be back soon?

We keep thinking that Long can be a 'defensive big body' because he doesn't win the ball (at all) and has a big body. But he doesn't lock down opposition inside mids at all - if he did, he would have been the perfect candidate for Cripps.

Long needs to be dropped, along with Bytel.
In fairness to Long, Cripps is a pretty handy footballer.
I know what you’re saying and I somewhat agree.
What’s Lipinski”S excuse?

Cornes wouldn’t know shit from clay.
He’s had more arguments shot down than there are holes in cheese.
Full of hot air and not much else.
I think I’m in the minority, but I actually like Kane tbh. He’s definitely polarising, but wrong about Mason Cox in my humble opinion

let’s not pretend this isn’t every single one of Macrae’s games. It’s not like he was dominating for a month and then had one down game. He’s consistently been putrid, twice so much so that we’ve pulled the trigger on the sub well before we ordinarily do.
And Ned Long wasn't putrid last night and in his other games?

If they're all equally putrid, I'd still much rather invest in someone who at least has some talent/attributes to succeed. Who said it has to be Macrae? Why are we not investing in Reef and if not Reef why not Allan and reward him for his dominant game last week?

Or we could've also just continued to back HH in even after a quiet game or two. Give him the HFF role that Lipinski has and give Lipinski the midfield time that apparently he's being starved of.

The question is, how do we cover De Goey’s loss. The need to get back Mitchell is more important then ever now. Going to be hard to get close to finals without De Goey, Mitchell and Mihocek. Who can step up in the midfield and cover their losses? Is Mitchell due to be back soon?
Mitchell won't be back this season

I think I’m in the minority, but I actually like Kane tbh. He’s definitely polarising, but wrong about Mason Cox in my humble opinion
Kane is great.

People don't like him because he calls out players from their clubs (all clubs) and people don't like that. But the reality is, he is right more often than not, and definitely knows his stuff.

I think we are done but tonight was a lovely bonus in an otherwise frustrating year.
I think we have another tilt at it left in this group so bring on 2025 and some luck with injury.
Agree. One loss too many for finals this year. Too much else has to go our way.

But beating Carlton twice is a slight consolation.

Have a good crack next year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to know what it is that Long shows that allows him to have a string of full games instead of being subbed/dropped like Macrae/Reef. I can't remember one moment/passage of play with Long where I was like wow there's something there.

Maybe it's the simple fact he's a SSP/mid season draft. We seem to give those guys easy debuts and a run of games whilst our first round picks don't get picked unless they've dominated for months and get dropped the second they have a low impact game in the seniors.
spot on..reef has much more upside than long

I love what Coxy brings.

That said he strangely left himself loose at CHB last night instead of sitting in the hole which would've stopped McGovern taking an uncontested mark 😂

Gee, I never thought I’d see the day when somebody quoted Sam McClure to support an argument. 🤣

JDG out.

I don't even know who to bring in...

If it wasn't season on the line you'd consider any of Parker, Allan or even DeMattia.

Edit:

Sullivan and HH for Long and JDG (inj)
We have no1 to replace Degoey. Long Bytel and Sullivan, are VFL players and our kids are kids and even close to that level.

Our midfield is very light on atm, Crisp needs to be in there full time. I like Elliott on ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back