Game Day Round 23, 2024: West Coast vs Carlton

Is Andrew Gaff the super-sub we didn't know we needed?

• Yep, 4 more years please.

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • No, Jack Watts

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • No, Jack Williams

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today it's a genuine goalless qtr and this has been shite. Last week it was a case of having half a dozen or more shots over a 40 minute period goal and none of them going through before luck swung back the other way. You're not sold on Schofield because you don't like him quit making things up.
How is it making things up - we have had three goalless terms with him as coach.

I don’t dislike him, I’m not sold. There’s an enormous difference. But whether I think he’s trash or treasure, we have had three goalless terms with him as coach. That’s a simple fact?

We need a lot of things, but gee it would be nice to have a decent ruckman, to give us half a chance at the centre bounced or any other ruck contest for that matter.

Cometh the hour, cometh Flynn? Barnett?

Today it's a genuine goalless qtr and this has been shite. Last week it was a case of having half a dozen or more shots over a 40 minute period goal and none of them going through before luck swung back the other way. You're not sold on Schofield because you don't like him quit making things up.
Schofield has been the stoppage/midfield coach under simmo...and guess what our weakest line has been in that time...you guessed it the midfield.

Im a bit wary of simmos replacement being someone who was working for him for that long.

Not tough enough
No intensity
Zero workrate

What ab abysmal half of footy.

No excuses for that performance.

A massive membership waiting list, wealthy corporate sponsors and guaranteed 40k attendance every home game generously masks how dire this club has become.

Id we were a melbourne team we would get norf levels of crowd/memberships/sponsorships

Its easy to be a CEO & board of a company that will never struggle financially or for memberships.
Well until we get some better players it’s going to be average for a while dude

First get a decent ruck and some quality mids asap

That’s fair, but I’m very worried about there being some halves of footy where we look so pathetically disinterested and not up for it, when that’s apparently his big calling card.

He’s the rev up and get stuck in, effort non negotiable guy. And we’ve had the limpest game of the year against the Saints, the limpest first half of the year against North, and now this.

If we had the pill and butchered the skills so got killed on turnover, that’s one thing. They can’t even pick the thing up or hold their position today.

Whoever comes in has some major work cut out but for all the good he’s shown, and he’s shown plenty of good, we’ve also thrown in some reprehensibly disinterested footy.
That's fair but the onus is also on the players to respond and some are simply incapable, which means they'll be delisted.

Been like this for years, not going to be fixed in the space of a few weeks.

How is it making things up - we have had three goalless terms with him as coach.

I don’t dislike him, I’m not sold. There’s an enormous difference. But whether I think he’s trash or treasure, we have had three goalless terms with him as coach. That’s a simple fact?
You are goddam right. Find us someone that will:

john huston work GIF by Warner Archive

Not too fussed who set the best PB in the 100m freestyle that was our WAFL game yesterday. Flynn has to replace Bailey next week.

Don’t have to dominate the ruck and waltz it out Nic Nat style, but we can’t have our midfield so consistently on the back foot as Williams get monstered by Pittonet.

That's fair but the onus is also on the players to respond and some are simply incapable, which means they'll be delisted.

Been like this for years, not going to be fixed in the space of a few weeks.
Yeah going to take time

And credit to Carlton and Voss they are injured and are showing lots of ticker

Let’s hope our lads and fire up this 2nd half

We need a lot of things, but gee it would be nice to have a decent ruckman, to give us half a chance at the centre bounce or any other ruck contest for that matter.
Not a single player can hit a handball from 5m away and forget about a kick on a lead. Cant blame Williams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This year was my first as a member.

I shit you not, if it didnt take me 7 years to become one, there's no way in hell i'd pay $860 a seat for years on end hoping for this team to come good in 5 years.

I'll look to downgrade to the nosebleeds to try and save a couple hundred dollars next year.

I don't think so.

Halve the midfield battle today, we win. Maybe we were sucked in a little from the last few weeks, but the peahearts have returned after putting in for two weeks in an attempt to extend their careers and earn a little more cash from the club.

The lack of defensive running is an embarrassment to the jumper. The players do not work hard enough.
Can’t work out the conditions, can’t pick up the loose ball, handballs missing the target, umps going in dry.

Third goalless quarter of Schoey’s reign. Really worried about him as the long term option tbh. But we were even worse last week and we came back to win, albeit against a much poorer side. Let’s see what he’s got at halftime, his usual tricks post the long break have been good thus far.
A bit harsh on Schofield. We've got a lot of B22 players who wouldn't get a run in most other teams and players fail to execute very basic skills.

Not much he can do about those 2 things right now.

Yeah, i'm not 100% sure Schofield is the best idea either. Feels weird saying that after being so bullish on him last year when i wanted Simpson sacked mid year and Schofield to take over full time.

I get that we've won 2 obviously, he's got the team up and about and with some hunger...

But i simply cannot shake the fact that Schofield coaching would be the "easy" way out for the players. They've had it too easy for too long under Simpson, they've been allowed to let their standards slip, been allowed to phone it in, and borderline gotten away with blue murder.

Schofield isn't a new fresh face, he's been a the club for a couple seasons now and were plenty shit with him last year, and have been plenty shit with him this year, less so when he's been at the helm to be fair, but still very bad and with the same frustrating traits with shown so often these past 5 odd years.

It's an easy way out for Cripps, for Witherden, for Cole, for Ryan, for Darling, for Allen... and that annoys me.

Peak dockery?

Yes, they do seem somewhat resigned to their fate. I wish they weren’t playing Port next week. I absolutely detest Port and they don’t deserve to finish second. Would be great to have Carlton beat St Kilda and then Fremantle have a consolation win against Port, but if nothing is on the line I do fear that they (Fremantle) will fold and let Port do what they want.

Tough times indeed!

Not too fussed who set the best PB in the 100m freestyle that was our WAFL game yesterday. Flynn has to replace Bailey next week.

Don’t have to dominate the ruck and waltz it out Nic Nat style, but we can’t have our midfield so consistently on the back foot as Williams get monstered by Pittonet.
Williams is just weak as piss.
Gets moved out of the contest too much and then complains to the ump.
If he isn't our first choice ruck why is he playing?
Flynn should be in the side regardless of form as he has a bigger body and can handle the bigger rucks

Had a nap and saw the last 5 mins.

Awesome.

Hoping the guys muster up some energy and turn up when it's time to build some straw huts in Cambodia again

Hard to motivate the guys when there's nothing to play for.
For Gaff, Schofield, spots on the list. For pride and the jumper. Should be plenty for them!

They haven't had adequate self-motivation since the GF. The club has absolutely dropped its bundle and we're only going to get it back through the Ginbey, Reid, Johnstons - have to cut hard and deep the apathetic majority.

Can't be any weakness over the offseason. No half measures.

Yeah, i'm not 100% Schofield is the best idea either.

I get that we've won 2 obviously, he's got the team up and about and with some hunger...

But i simply cannot shake the fact that Schofield coaching would be the "easy" way out for the players. They've had it too easy for too long under Simpson, they've been allowed to let their standards slip, been allowed to phone it in, and borderline gotten away with blue murder.

Schofield isn't a new fresh face, he's been a the club for a couple seasons now and were plenty shit with him last year, and have been plenty shit with him this year, less so when he's been at the helm.

It's an easy way out for Cripps, for Witherden, for Cole, for Ryan, for Darling, for Allen... and that annoys me.
Agree for all of those names except Cole. Bloke is a rapid dog, just has a ceiling on him due to his skills. But his application is top tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back