Toast Round 23 = Carlton 74-75 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see a series of Little Golden Books although grade six probably deserve something more Harry Potterish.

Wayne Harms and the Criminals in White
Gavin Brown and the Spanking of the Danihers
Nick Maxwell and the Prisoner of St Kilda
Scott Emblery and the Chest full of Norm Smiths
Chris Judd and the Strawman of Visy
Mick malthouse and the Museum of the Spoons
Nathan Buckley and the Five Fold Victory
Fly McRae and the Terrifying Last Quarter
Scott Pendlebury and the Daicos Twins
Scott Pendlebury and the Premiers Cup
I’d read every word of that series.

I can see a series of Little Golden Books although grade six probably deserve something more Harry Potterish.

Heath Shaw and the Librarians
Alan Didak and the Shimmies

God I'm glad this thread still lives, 5 days on. I've been meaning to post in here since I got home from the game midday Monday. I've just been waiting for the right words to describe how incredibly euphoric and emotional the victory left me - but after 5 days, I realise I'm inadequate to the task - if words are out there somewhere that properly describe my feelings, I'm incapable of finding them.

I've had to spend much of this season away from Melbourne, sometimes in remote locations around Australia and therefore have only seen a handful of games in person - though fortunately the matches I have seen include both victories over Carlton wins and that unbelievable win against Essendon. That was the last game I posted about, describing how I drove 580 km's from West Wyalong to arrive at 1/4 time with us 6 goals ahead, only to be outscored 11 goals to 2 for the next 2 1/2 quarters, which had me then that last 15 minute magical minutes culminating in the Jamie Elliott miracle after the siren. That was the best finish I've ever seen.

I never thought that just weeks later (if ever at all) that I'd see a finish to rival that - and for it to mean so much. This time I flew in from Broome the day before, got to the ground nice and early and witnessed the best match I ever recall. After the umpire inspired 3rd quarter smashing by the Blues I confess to some doubts - but from halfway through the last I was confident we had 'em. Then came that last goal from Elliott (for Elliott it had to be), the blues fluffing their last chances when all they needed was one lousy little behind to obtain everything for them - and ruin everything for us - but they just couldn't do it! It was so glorious! My voice (and I was surrounded by Carlton supporters) is only just now recovering.

So how do I feel now, 5 days on? Grateful? Serene? Copacetic? Joyful? Nah - none of these words quite cut it. I think a new word still needs to be invented to truly describe that feeling we experienced after the final siren sounded.

Did Carlton make finals?

So Close Nbc 90Th Special GIF by NBC

I’ve watched the last quarter a fair few times. Jeez the Blues blew it big time. So many little moments they didn’t handle. I feel a bit for Docherty. I like him as a player, he’s been through a lot and seems a good bloke. That kick inside 50 is going to haunt him. Ignoring Fisher, then McKay, then delivering to Howe. Wasn’t game to pull the trigger on a precise pass. Then bombed long - though I can see what he was thinking. Sadly for him, Curnow did not - reasonably expected it to the goal square and Howe was just more alert and responded to the kick first.

I’ve watched the last quarter a fair few times. Jeez the Blues blew it big time. So many little moments they didn’t handle. I feel a bit for Docherty. I like him as a player, he’s been through a lot and seems a good bloke. That kick inside 50 is going to haunt him. Ignoring Fisher, then McKay, then delivering to Howe. Wasn’t game to pull the trigger on a precise pass. Then bombed long - though I can see what he was thinking. Sadly for him, Curnow did not - reasonably expected it to the goal square and Howe was just more alert and responded to the kick first.
Durdin kicked it to Howe

Dane Swan & the Kingdom of Tweets
Brenden Abbott & The Big Show
The adventures of Jaidyn Stephenson & the Same Game Multi

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God I'm glad this thread still lives, 5 days on. I've been meaning to post in here since I got home from the game midday Monday. I've just been waiting for the right words to describe how incredibly euphoric and emotional the victory left me - but after 5 days, I realise I'm inadequate to the task - if words are out there somewhere that properly describe my feelings, I'm incapable of finding them.

I've had to spend much of this season away from Melbourne, sometimes in remote locations around Australia and therefore have only seen a handful of games in person - though fortunately the matches I have seen include both victories over Carlton wins and that unbelievable win against Essendon. That was the last game I posted about, describing how I drove 580 km's from West Wyalong to arrive at 1/4 time with us 6 goals ahead, only to be outscored 11 goals to 2 for the next 2 1/2 quarters, which had me then that last 15 minute magical minutes culminating in the Jamie Elliott miracle after the siren. That was the best finish I've ever seen.

I never thought that just weeks later (if ever at all) that I'd see a finish to rival that - and for it to mean so much. This time I flew in from Broome the day before, got to the ground nice and early and witnessed the best match I ever recall. After the umpire inspired 3rd quarter smashing by the Blues I confess to some doubts - but from halfway through the last I was confident we had 'em. Then came that last goal from Elliott (for Elliott it had to be), the blues fluffing their last chances when all they needed was one lousy little behind to obtain everything for them - and ruin everything for us - but they just couldn't do it! It was so glorious! My voice (and I was surrounded by Carlton supporters) is only just now recovering.

So how do I feel now, 5 days on? Grateful? Serene? Copacetic? Joyful? Nah - none of these words quite cut it. I think a new word still needs to be invented to truly describe that feeling we experienced after the final siren sounded.

Even better, the Blues “we choked” thread is still alive. Unlike their season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Durdin kicked it to Howe
Ahhh, yes, thank you. I think doc spudded some earlier, less critical kicks into 50.

It’s just interesting that whilst we’ve had some luck, and in the case of Carlton, fortunate umpiring decisions in the fourth (but not the third), the players still need to execute. Durdin baulked at biting off the more precise passes under time contstraint. The kick to pocket/space is a less “nervy” kick. Meanwhile, Maynard, Pendlebury, Elliot and others, have all executed precisely under similar pressure.
Yes there’s luck, but you also make your luck. Our collection of close wins shows we’ve had both.

Ahhh, yes, thank you. I think doc spudded some earlier, less critical kicks into 50.

It’s just interesting that whilst we’ve had some luck, and in the case of Carlton, fortunate umpiring decisions in the fourth (but not the third), the players still need to execute. Durdin baulked at biting off the more precise passes under time contstraint. The kick to pocket/space is a less “nervy” kick. Meanwhile, Maynard, Pendlebury, Elliot and others, have all executed precisely under similar pressure.
Yes there’s luck, but you also make your luck. Our collection of close wins shows we’ve had both.
We practice this every week and as Daic's the senior famously said . . .

"It's funny you know . . . . the more I practice the luckier I get".

Simple fact is we are better than any other team at absorbing the pressure of a close finish.

THAT is a skill and the others have consistently faltered under the type of clutch pressure we consistently apply.

I've asked in a number of places if the SEN call is available online. I've got the 3AW, ABC and the hopeless MMM calls of the game, but cannot find more than 3 or 4 minutes from SEN. Does anybody know if it is floating around somewhere?

PS I've asked a few downloaders and also tweeted SEN, but no luck so far. Any ideas Dave?

I've asked in a number of places if the SEN call is available online. I've got the 3AW, ABC and the hopeless MMM calls of the game, but cannot find more than 3 or 4 minutes from SEN. Does anybody know if it is floating around somewhere?

PS I've asked a few downloaders and also tweeted SEN, but no luck so far. Any ideas Dave?
Where did you get the 3aw call?

We all know the feeling, even if we can't quite put it into words.

Raphoria?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back