Prediction Round 23 Changes vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

the non use of Brodie and Reidy could really come to bite us in last two games and finals

Especially if eithr of them decides to look for trade option to actually get a game

Part of building a LEGACY is not just using the same old 23 players but rotating into the team extras to prepare for injuries and future trade out requests.

Both are contracted. Brodie can't get a game at his second club after not being able to get a game at his first club. No one is trading for him, but I think we'd take a 3rd or even 4th rounder to get his salary off our books.

Not sure that this is any sort of reliable indicator but at 3/4 time there were several Freo players getting rubbed down while all Geelong players seemed to be on their feet.
I’m led to wonder if our recent fade-outs are indicative of general fatigue within the team.
Losing close games early has possibly prevented us from resting some players who needed to be rested.
Wonder if it has to do with minimal changes. Our midfield has stayed almost untouched all year. Geelong guys have come in and out and been managed as you do for old guys.

Both are contracted. Brodie can't get a game at his second club after not being able to get a game at his first club. No one is trading for him, but I think we'd take a 3rd or even 4th rounder to get his salary off our books.
being contracted is irrlevant if the person asks to go.

by agreement all contracts are flexible.

Brodie is good enough but jsut cant get a game.
Neither can reidy

I am sure a struggling club would love to pick them up

being contracted is irrlevant if the person asks to go.

by agreement all contracts are flexible.

Brodie is good enough but jsut cant get a game.
Neither can reidy

I am sure a struggling club would love to pick them up
Reidy should have played last week as replacement for Darcy. All agreed on that. Tabs was a mistake whether the MC admit or not. Reidy could also have been handy against Hawks at Tassie.

As for Brodie vs Essendon. Erasmus was playing the better football and was more than reasonable selection. He shouldn’t have been subbed off in the 3rd for Aish. We could have had Brodie instead of Aish as sub though. As I’ve posted previously there are six midfielders ahead of Brodie (Serong, Brayshaw, Young, Fyfe, Johnson and Erasmus). You could argue he is close to Johnson and Erasmus but both have significant upside and Brodie’s weakness is his endurance (he gets lapped and finishes at the back of the pack in the time trials which as a midfielder is a significant issue at AFL).

Have a look at stats for Jye Bolton, Shane Nelson and Charlie Constable at WAFL. Brodie replacing Erasmus, Johnson or Fyfe is not the difference.

Reidy should have played last week as replacement for Darcy. All agreed on that. Tabs was a mistake whether the MC admit or not. Reidy could also have been handy against Hawks at Tassie.

As for Brodie vs Essendon. Erasmus was playing the better football and was more than reasonable selection. He shouldn’t have been subbed off in the 3rd for Aish. We could have had Brodie instead of Aish as sub though. As I’ve posted previously there are six midfielders ahead of Brodie (Serong, Brayshaw, Young, Fyfe, Johnson and Erasmus). You could argue he is close to Johnson and Erasmus but both have significant upside and Brodie’s weakness is his endurance (he gets lapped and finishes at the back of the pack in the time trials which as a midfielder is a significant issue at AFL).

Have a look at stats for Jye Bolton, Shane Nelson and Charlie Constable at WAFL. Brodie replacing Erasmus, Johnson or Fyfe is not the difference.

Erasmus was actually alright I thought - JL subbing him out has clouded peoples judgement.

All meaningless when you are trying to win a game now, not in 2027.

then we were foolish to take Brodie and should cut him from Squad at end of year.

He's great depth. For his faults defensively, it's great insurance knowing that if a ball winner goes down, we've got one ready to step up. It hasn't happened recently, but it will happen at some point.
if he is rated so low by some . no point keepin the fella.

Let him go play AFL somewhere else.

PErsonaslly i would have him as SUB for most games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The match committee had an opportunity to replace Fyfe with either Brodie or Erasmus against Essendon and went with the younger player we used pick #10 on - it didn't work out. I think they made the right choice between the two options because Erasmus might have a higher ceiling.
We needed to win that game. Future ceiling is irrelevant.

We needed to win that game. Future ceiling is irrelevant.

We can't be hindsight heroes now, but did you think Will Brodie was a better option than Erasmus prior to the game?

I remember that game Brodie played against Brisbane where his opponent did exactly the same thing as happened to Erasmus.

But now I've seen both of them, and I know Erasmus can run.

We can't be hindsight heroes now, but did you think Will Brodie was a better option than Erasmus prior to the game?

I remember that game Brodie played against Brisbane where his opponent did exactly the same thing as happened to Erasmus.

But now I've seen both of them, and I know Erasmus can run.
It was who was being replaced that would have made me select Brodie. Neil isn't strong enough to do what Fyfe does to help out Serong and Brayshaw. That left Young doing all the inside block, grunt work and he ran out of legs in the last. Both players have limitations but Brodie is more Afl ready for now.
I'm not sure about Erasmus being run off like you suggest. I haven't seen a replay. But it certainly looked like Essendon were too quick for all of our midfield. Certainly Serong in the first half was being run off a lot. Although, most of the run looked like it was coming from outside the stoppage. They had loose men everywhere. Maybe that was wing issues. I noticed at one point they had Sharp playing on the defensive edge of the wing leaving his man free on true wing, so they were concerned about something and I'm sure it wasn't all Erasmus' fault

Has anyone done the ladder permutations?

Do we need to win both or can we get away with one win to make finals? Is there a world we lose both and make finals?

Freo can finish in the top eight without winning another game.

But we need all of the Dogs, Hawks and Blues to not win another game. We can have two of them win a game or two, but one of them has to not win again this season and our percentage can't get hammered if Essendon win against Sydney and Brisbane.

Dogs play: North, GWS
Hawks play: Tigers, North
Blues play: WC, Saints

Has anyone done the ladder permutations?

Do we need to win both or can we get away with one win to make finals? Is there a world we lose both and make finals?
If we lost both all of WB, Carlton and Hawthorn would have to lose both or no better than on draw for Carlton or Hawthorn based on current %. If we win one and all three win both games we are out. If we win one and one of Wb, Carlton or Hawthorn lose one game, we are in. If i have worked it out right.

If Freo can beat GWS we can all enjoy Sunday night and cheer on the Eagles to beat Carlton anyway.

Then St Kilda the following Sunday while we are roaming around the stadium before our game starts.

That'd be nice, definitely make the mood and a bit less tense if we're playing for a top 6 spot and not season on the line stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 23 Changes vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back