Prediction Round 23 Changes vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

If we lost both all of WB, Carlton and Hawthorn would have to lose both or no better than on draw for Carlton or Hawthorn based on current %.

This is twice now I feel like I've see people say all those teams would need to lose both.

We only need one of them to lose both, we only need to stay ahead of one.

It was who was being replaced that would have made me select Brodie. Neil isn't strong enough to do what Fyfe does to help out Serong and Brayshaw. That left Young doing all the inside block, grunt work and he ran out of legs in the last. Both players have limitations but Brodie is more Afl ready for now.
I'm not sure about Erasmus being run off like you suggest. I haven't seen a replay. But it certainly looked like Essendon were too quick for all of our midfield. Certainly Serong in the first half was being run off a lot. Although, most of the run looked like it was coming from outside the stoppage. They had loose men everywhere. Maybe that was wing issues. I noticed at one point they had Sharp playing on the defensive edge of the wing leaving his man free on true wing, so they were concerned about something and I'm sure it wasn't all Erasmus' fault
The game is only going to get quicker so you’d think we’d invest in a sprint coach?
We used to get away with a big midfield with the run from Hill and D Pearce.
Our issue is that we are not quick and we don’t tackle, block, etc, so unless we are
getting silver service from the ruck, teams think we fold under pressure.
It’s why even if we did make finals our style won’t take us to the pinnacle.
ATM our midfield rotations are limited, we need more players to be dual positioned
and we need to tackle/pressure, work on our deficiencies.
Our last quarters are in question, giving Serong, etc a rest in the pockets mixes up the dynamic of the midfield.
Rested players should make us finish games better and even make us look quicker.
Then there is the sub selection, another problem at the end of the game.

I've done the ladder predictor missing out on finals even with beating Port and losing GWS.

Seems like we'll have to win both to make sure if it, which sure seems a bridge too far.

Most realistic scenario for us making finals is us going 1-1 and one of Carlton or Footscray going 1-1 or worse
The good thing is the players know they have to win going in against GWS and will know the whole scenario before the Port game.

No distractions really or sweating on results afterwards. Good learning experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game is only going to get quicker so you’d think we’d invest in a sprint coach?
We used to get away with a big midfield with the run from Hill and D Pearce.
Our issue is that we are not quick and we don’t tackle, block, etc, so unless we are
getting silver service from the ruck, teams think we fold under pressure.
It’s why even if we did make finals our style won’t take us to the pinnacle.
ATM our midfield rotations are limited, we need more players to be dual positioned
and we need to tackle/pressure, work on our deficiencies.
Our last quarters are in question, giving Serong, etc a rest in the pockets mixes up the dynamic of the midfield.
Rested players should make us finish games better and even make us look quicker.
Then there is the sub selection, another problem at the end of the game.
We’re not quick because the midfield isn’t direct. Handball happy with short kicking. Take so long to make decisions

Geelong is quick? They’re old. What do they do? Faster possession and mixing to advantage. Long kicks down the wing. Get the ball to the advantage of 1on1s for Dangerfield, Henry, Cameron, Etc

We’re not quick because the midfield isn’t direct. Handball happy with short kicking. Take so long to make decisions

Geelong is quick? They’re old. What do they do? Faster possession and mixing to advantage. Long kicks down the wing. Get the ball to the advantage of 1on1s for Dangerfield, Henry, Cameron, Etc
Didn't watch it, but it sounded like we reverted back to the chip chip stuff against Geelong, more than that being the way we have been playing generally . Possibly didn't trust what they had to kick to up the line and forward.

When we can play the corridor, our fast hands and players like Freddy or Clark or Walker running in a wave, we are fast and break teams open.

We are. A couple of weekend reviews of Rd 21 have been showing a clip of Hawthorn (vs Carlton) taking the ball from end to end with a chain of handballs through half back to half forward and saying how they're playing the most exciting football of any team in the competition, but when we're on we move the ball the same way.

I wonder if we get to play that style against GWS, it could be an open free-flowing game.

We are. A couple of weekend reviews of Rd 21 have been showing a clip of Hawthorn (vs Carlton) taking the ball from end to end with a chain of handballs through half back to half forward and saying how they're playing the most exciting football of any team in the competition, but when we're on we move the ball the same way.

I wonder if we get to play that style against GWS, it could be an open free-flowing game.
We do play that way and do it well. We just need to get better at playing another way when that fast handball end to end isn't available to us.

GWS have tried to be defensive, and got smacked early v Brisbane.
It’ll be an open flowing game. Except their pressure forward of play is miles better then Fremantle’s - Frederick, Switkowski, Banfield, Sturt don’t lay tackles

The choice of Tabs over Reidy was bewildering. Tabs is cooked in my opinion.
I understand & agree but I also see it from JL point & how he explained it post game.
Would be hard for a player to debut by sitting around not knowing he was playing until the last minute. And Darcy out was very last minute. If they knew Friday or even Saturday morning Darcy wouldn’t get up I have no doubt reidy plays

I understand & agree but I also see it from JL point & how he explained it post game.
Would be hard for a player to debut by sitting around not knowing he was playing until the last minute. And Darcy out was very last minute. If they knew Friday or even Saturday morning Darcy wouldn’t get up I have no doubt reidy plays
Probably the best way to debut IMO.
Takes the nerves away with too much time over thinking matters.
Also would have injected enthusiasm into the team.
The facts are we have shot ourselves in the foot in games this year with
selections.
Genuine chance to be top 4 gone, more games into Kids, even as the
sub?
Reality is that 2025 may become a mini rebuild, reload, whatever you want to call
It. Retirements, player movement, and still a reliance on Darcy.
Jlo only has himself to blame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 23 Changes vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back