Preview Round 23 - Essendon vs Sydney - Friday 16 August - 7:40 PM - Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

silk

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
This week see as face Sydney in what is now well and truly a dead rubber, with our season officially wasted.

wasted gta GIF

I won't watch the game, have plans, and have no intention of adapting for this team, that's for damn sure. So long 2024, the boys must be relieved they can go on their traditional September holidays. At least this time they managed to keep it a secret that the flights and hotels were all already booked.

The Round The Was -

It's official - Essington Last Season Shiteness is the most powerful force on earth. If we could bottle it somehow, we could solve global warming, bring peace on earth, and better mankind for years to come.

Honestly though, as shit as it was.. good. We need to spend a couple of years down the bottom and actually build a decent list. Even this season, the lower the better. Also, please stop ****en bringing in players from other shitty losing teams - Last year - 2 from Cellar Dwellers North, 1 from permanent failure St Kilda. No surprises they felt right at home in our best 22.
1.9 in the last quarter - I feel bad for the partners of Essendon players.

toilet peeing GIF

ESSENDON 4.2 9.4 11.5 12.14 (86)
GOLD COAST 4.3 7.5 11.9 13.9 (87)

GOALS
Essendon:
Draper 3, Caddy 3, Menzie, Stringer, Jones, Caldwell, Durham, Roberts
Gold Coast: Andrew 4, King 3, Walter 2, Flanders 2, Holman, Humphrey

BEST
Essendon:
Merrett, Martin, Redman, Draper, Caddy
Gold Coast: Rowell, Anderson, King, Collins Long, Andrew

INJURIES
Essendon:
Cox (concussion)
Gold Coast: Nil

SUBSTITUTES
Essendon:
Ben Hobbs (replaced Nik Cox in the second quarter)
Gold Coast: David Swallow (replaced Jed Walter in the final quarter)

LATE CHANGES
Essendon:
Nil
Gold Coast: Lloyd Johnston (managed) replaced in selected side by Sean Lemmens

Crowd: 29,401 at Marvel Stadium

Sydney on the other looked to be staring down another loss, before performing their old trick from earlier in the season and played 1 great quarte of footy to steal a win from the Pies.
SYDNEY 3.3 6.5 8.9 13.11 (89)
COLLINGWOOD 5.4 6.8 11.12 12.14 (86)

GOALS
Sydney:
Hayward 3, Parker 2, Warner 2, Jordon, McLean, Florent, McDonald, Heeney, Gulden
Collingwood: Hill 2, Crisp, Elliott, Bytel, Cox, Quaynor, McCreery, Lipinski, McStay, Cameron, Long

BEST
Sydney
: Rowbottom, Roberts, Heeney, Warner, Blakey, Jordon
Collingwood: Sidebottom, J.Daicos, Quaynor, N.Daicos, Crisp, Cameron

INJURIES
Sydney
: Nil
Collingwood: Nil

SUBSTITUTES
Sydney:
Caiden Cleary (replaced Robbie Fox in the fourth quarter)
Collingwood: Joe Richards (replaced Billy Frampton in the fourth quarter)

Crowd: 37,854 at the SCG

Last time we met -

We were completive but Swans were too good. Wright got a mammoth ban for actually doing something physical for once.. hasn't been the same since. Sydney are a bunch of sooking hypocrites.
woody harrelson GIF

SYDNEY 4.4 8.9 13.13 19.17 (131)
ESSENDON 4.1 8.5 10.8 15.11 (101)

GOALS
Sydney:
Papley 4, Hayward 3, Amartey 2, Gulden 2, McLean 2, Warner 2, Blakey, Heeney, Jordon, McDonald,
Essendon: Gresham 3, Stringer 3, Langford 2, Merrett 2, Wright 2, Cox, Draper, Goldstein,

BEST
Sydney:
Papley, Heeney, Gulden, Warner, Florent, Grundy, Blakey
Essendon: Merrett, Setterfield, Martin, Gresham, Caldwell, Durham

INJURIES
Sydney:
Cunningham (head knock)
Essendon: Nil

LATE CHANGES
Sydney:
Nil
Essendon: Jake Kelly (illness) replaced in selected side by Alwyn Davey jnr

SUBSTITUTES
Sydney:
Corey Warner (replaced Harry Cunningham in the first quarter)
Essendon: Alwyn Davey jnr (replaced Sam Draper in the fourth quarter)

Crowd: 34,954 at the SCG

Team Selection

Possible Outs
(Oh boy, where to start)
Hobbs - Firstly - **** the sub rule - Hobbs might as well play VFL if he is going to be the ****en sub
Cox - Inj, but frankly isn't good enough - Could be a decent forward/ruck if he wasn't a rake, but that's it.
Kelly - Yep - here here is folks - This time it's justified. There is no point keeping him in anymore.
Langford/Stringer - Still can't play both of these guys and a ruckmen and yet we keep doing it. Either move Langford back or put him back to VFL.
MrGrath - One great tackle doesn't make up for the putrid game.
Shiel/Parish - ONCE AGAIN - Sheil, Merret and Parish DOESN'T ****EN WORK!!!!!!! We need to trade Parish - as we just don't have the team that suits his game, so he will forever drag us down.
Laverde - Just enough already - I know the only reason he is a staple is because Reid went down, but just enough already.

Possible Ins
Perkins -
Best in the VFL but was still pathetic defensively and often let his man do as he pleased while he tried to recalibrate his radar.
Hayes - Again was good, and these games mean nothing - Give him a shot. Sydney's bigs aren't the best in the league anyways.
Tsatas - How the hell for though eh; best leave in the VFL unless we drop both Shiel and Parish and really change things up... yeah that'll ****en happen.
Wanganeen - Playing for his future - Should delist, but find out if he anything at AFL level first.

Please don't bring in
Heppell - No VFL, No AFL for mine. Don't care about sentiments -
Wright - Don't let the goals fool you, was soft as at vfl level and doesn't deserve a recall nor even a spot on the list
Hind - Stats say he was amongst the best in the VFL - Those who watched will tell he was acting like a w***er all day. Think's he's something special and leader out here but choses when to go and went not too and didn't 'work hard defensively at all. If there was a stat for fingers pointed, he would have been the leading by far.

My Prediction - Perfect time for Sydney to play us just as they are out of form - We'll get them well and truly back on track - Sydney by 65+

Cookie Boat GIF

Housekeeping - I'm tired - I probably won't do this previews next year - I would have to see some major positives changes over the offseason to feel motivated too. Frankly speaking, if the club doesn't completely remove Dodoro from the club I'm out completely. Not scapegoating here; him still being at club just exemplifies what a pissweak organisation we are, who hasn't learnt a thing over the last 20 years.

Last edited:

If you defend Jayden Laverde after the past two weeks you are part of the ****ing problem with this club.

Hayes, Tex, Elijah, El-Hawli to come in. May as well see what they can do...if anything.

Out: Laverde, Cox, Menzie, Langford.

Tsatas should play. I have no idea how they manage: Shiel, Parish, Caldwell, Durham, Tsatas, Hobbs and Merett in the midfield.

B McGrath McKay Kelly
HB Roberts Hayes Redman
C Langford Hobbs Durham
HF Merrett Caddy Martin
F Perkins Jones A Davey
R Draper Caldwell Shiel
INT Bryan Parish El Hawli Stringer
SUB Wanganeen

IN Hayes, Perkins, El Hawli, Wanganeen
OUT Laverde, Gresham, Menzie, Cox

I can’t recall willingly missing an Essendon game but baring a Hayes or Saad debut I genuinely don’t see any reason to tune in to this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This will be a nice walm up for the Swannies to get them cherry ripe for their 2024 finals campaign...
For us - not sure what we can do...maybe;-

OUT: Cox, Menzie
IN: Hayes, Perkins

Hayes McKay McGrath
Redman Lav Martin
Durham Parish Roberts
Perkins Caddy Gresham
Jones Draper Langford

Bryan Caldwell Merrett

Bench: Shiel Hobbs Kelly Stringer
SUB: ADavey

Surely all Melbourne based Essendon fans will consider striking ie not attending next week

(but will then attend because let’s face it if you’re a fan you’re a fan and being a baby when we lose is pretty lame)

Just play players in their best positions.

Martin forward, no brainer.
Durham mid.
Merrett mid.
Perkins forward if in.

Might be a blessing Cox is out.

hammer the nail shut on such a bright start to 2024 in he bright lights of Friday Night Football just to really pronounce to the football world how inept our football club really is

watch us get spanked by 12+ goals and the vultures in the media write whatever they want whilst we just have to sit there and cop it.

If we get within 5 goals, do we take that as a win

B. McGrath McKay Redman
HB. Martin Hayes Wanganeen
C Roberts parish tsatsas
Hf Stringer Jones merrett
F perkins Caddy langford
R Draper Durham Caldwell
Int Shiel Bryan Hobbs Heppell - farewell game
Sub a davey

In Hayes tsatsas perkins heppell wanganeen
Out Kelly cox laverde Menzies gresham

Side is a little unbalanced but Heppell deserves a farewell game

how laverde can get picked this week will boggle the mind. amiss kicked 4 on him, nearly won them the game, andrew kicked 4 and won the game, caminiti kicked 5 on him the week before.

where does the buck stop. i have no interest in seeing that campaigner play another game this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back