Autopsy Round 23 Review - Saints second half demolishes the Kitty Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Great footy in the second half from the Saints, but no doubt, Geelong thought it was in the bag at half time and definitely wound back the intensity in the third quarter and drank their own bathwater, which is enough to let a team back in the game, and we grabbed the opportunity.
Looking forward to Garcia and Wilson with another preseason under their belts, and if we could only get Henry on the field more often.
Wilke surely is one of the top handful of players in the comp.

Great footy in the second half from the Saints, but no doubt, Geelong thought it was in the bag at half time and definitely wound back the intensity in the third quarter and drank their own bathwater, which is enough to let a team back in the game, and we grabbed the opportunity.
Looking forward to Garcia and Wilson with another preseason under their belts, and if we could only get Henry on the field more often.
Seriously fk off that Geelong wound back their intensity .... always looking for an excuse to pot the team .... you've been found out as a half arsed supporter

The tanking concept has never convinced me, I get the logic of it, but the cultural benefits contained in this type of win are a bigger guarantee than the draft benefits, particularly in this year's draft.

Coming from behind, all players playing their part, young players putting themselves in the spotlight, senior players turning back the clock, outpointing a finals side desperate to win, a team sharing infectious momentum, players celebrating goals and smothers and tackles together, kicking over 100 points, hearing the Saints crowd go nuts at our home, immense pressure with nothing to play for except competition, telling the footy world that St Kilda are no easybeat choker side...

All of the above is huge culturally. Whatever draft pick we end up with will find themselves among teammates learning how to be serial winners together, not crumbling to get a messiah through the door.

**** tanking, now and forever - that's not why I follow footy.

Poor old Liam Stocker doesn't look like he enjoys kicking for goal much, no wonder he's down back.

And who's the cruel b'stard who keeps pulling Josh Battle up for the after-win interview? So awkward, he's clearly made up his mind. Sad to see, but at least we get an extra top 10 pick as compo. Prefer Battle but a pretty good second prize for once.

One final debutant next week please Ross, you know you want to!

Aint winning great!!!

Absolutely brilliant second half with everyone on board and contributing. Surprises were Stocker's work in the centre, Dow and Jones showed how they can contribute. Hunter Clark's close in work is amazing.

Marshall does my head in - so fantastic around the ground probably the best going around but his centre ruck work to advantage is non existent.

If I was constructing the perfect ruckman from any of the rucks in the league ATM, it would be Rhys Stanleys leap and every thing else would come from Rowan Marshall.

No offence to Josh Battle but if he's worth $900k then Cal Wilkiie is a $2M a year player.

Biased I know but I reckon he should first pick AA.

Anyhow - back to the replay!!!!

Poor old Liam Stocker doesn't look like he enjoys kicking for goal much, no wonder he's down back.

And who's the cruel b'stard who keeps pulling Josh Battle up for the after-win interview? So awkward, he's clearly made up his mind. Sad to see, but at least we get an extra top 10 pick as compo. Prefer Battle but a pretty good second prize for once.

Yeah the media team need to just leave him alone. I don’t want him to leave either but he’s being offered crazy money to play for a team that is playing exciting footy. Hard to blame him and it looks like we’ll be fairly compensated.

I have some overarcing thoughts on that game, and the end of the seaosn coaching.

Firstly, attempting to win these games imo is essential for so many reasons as is the way we have played in 80% games. Minus the BL blow out and some of the game in the middle of the year I think even if we have played like crap we have kep trying in most games. Specificlly the second half of the year though, we have really tried to just compete untill the end, PA, BL etc etc.

Learning to be competetive and knowing how to win, especially against quality sides is what builds beleif in young groups.

Ie Pou against Sydney
Windy against Pies,
Owens last year,
Wilson vs Geelong
Garcia vs Geelong.

Each one of these under Ross is a massive deal imo. Especially at the end of the year. DW about the picks. Toce showed you don't need the top top picks.

Dalrympal will do what he can but a base of
Naz,
Pou,
Owens,
Sharman,
Wilson
Windy
is not only talented but ultra competitive, similar to all the Swans youngsters who come through. ParticularlyWindy and Pou are super competitors.

I just see the value in guys like Garcia and Wilson playing in a win like that instead of being uncompetitive.

On Coops, although I think him playing all over the shop negatively effected his breakout or delayed it, I think that playing on the wing/defence has really given him some valuable tricks that will come in handy. His ability get back in defence and use his leap and skill is invaluable. Another rookie pick.

In a very eve year losing too many close games hurt us but we are not that far off.
Add in Max and replace Battle and we are much much better placed.
We are still the second best defensive team. Remember that. We backed it up after last year. That is not done by accident.

Going forward to next year.

I want to see Keeler play next week give him a taste he could be the missing piece to take Ro to the next level.
Owens needs to be developed purely as a mid, maybe needs to slim down.
Clark needs to be injury free and play 75% game time.
Arie needs to replace Battle
Wilson to move inside, adds some much needs pace.
Cooper needs to start next to Max next year,
Garcia to have the Pou treatment.
Henry, Re Clark

Webster Howard Clark
Sinclair Wilkie Naz
Wood Windhager Wilson
Owens Sharman Higgins
Butler King Henry
Marshal Steele Pou

Hill Keeler Byrnes Dow/Hugo /Skunk

Ken Oath, hanging to hear him talk about how unwatchable our game was on Monday night. Hopefully Robbo rubs his face in it.

I hope someone calls in to whatever radio show he does these days and asks him.

"No doubt" and "definitely" Geelong wound back the intensity? WTF are you talking about man? Even their coach admitted they were outplayed. I assume you were in the Cats rooms and have evidence to back up your claims? Lmao

Perhaps watch the game again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously fk off that Geelong wound back their intensity .... always looking for an excuse to pot the team .... you've been found out as a half arsed supporter
They didn’t have a chance to “wind back their intensity” - the team came out and blew them away from the first bounce of Q3 and Cats could just not stop the momentum.

Every little tap, smother, ball bounce that went right for them in the first half, turned for us with the intensity we applied from the first whistle.

It wasn’t like halfway through a quarter they thought “ we’ve got this” and took their foot off the ball. They were playing for a double chance and home final for heavens sake.

Owens splitting that pack in.the last quarter for Higgo to kick the goal was immense

Called it in the game thread, absolute car crash in the fwd 50

Reminded me of Kozi just smashing bodies to bring the ball to ground

Roma and Steele had 30 contest possie between them

Wilkie dominate again.
Grabbed high at his hammie sometime after half time just after taking a mark, the camera was behind in the goal square
Seemed to pull up not too bad tho

Garcia gets a few kgs on him and look out
Looks gun material already, that chase down was epic as well as that bullet in to the fwd 50

Membrey looks good
be interesting to see what happens with him at seasons end

Sharman just delivering mail yet again

Great result with Nas not a stand out and hill not massive either

Jones had a good game again... he does look a but slow off the mark but made up for that with plenty of other stuff

Replay today will be enjoyed

Or at least a full game for Garcia.
He came in and got straight into the speed of the game, and whack!
We’re going to be cheering him on plenty over the years.

Or at least a full game for Garcia.
He came in and got straight into the speed of the game, and whack!
We’re going to be cheering him on plenty over the years.

He's got a lot of really good attributes....Elite speed, excellent kick, tackle machine, off the charts manic attack on the ball and pressure on the player.

Seems to have the right attitude too. Finding a player like him in the 50s is the luck you need sometimes to become a competitive side.

I'm trying to think of a player to liken him to but I cant think of the right one.

Nas hasn't been as brilliant the last few weeks (working through tags?) but jeez he knows when to take the moment, watching him streak away and take a bounce is awesome. Never looks fussed either, has that super calm demeanour that all the superstars do.

These two will bring people to games at their peak.

Battle is a good player but he’s no Wilkie. If we nail two midfielders with the picks we’ll come out ahead on the deal.

I particularly enjoyed the pile on St Kilda in the first half - almost gloating about how we cant play at Marvel, it never really changed other than the commentators becoming flatter and flatter as the game went on.

Two hilarious moments were when Jones intercepted a handball in the last and had already kicked it to our forwards and they were STILL talking about the Geelong player doing an amazing job.

Or when we went 3 goals up and they said, Saints are just staying in touch... genuinely comical stuff tonight.

It was genuinely deplorable tonight, some of the worst commentary I've ever heard and I've listened to 'that orange team' woman.
Funny how Selwood got real quiet in the third.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23 Review - Saints second half demolishes the Kitty Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back