Unofficial Preview Round 23 v Magpies @MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Must win if we are any chance at all of top2/4.

Outs- Henry Smith, Shadeau Brain, Jaxon Prior.

Ins- Eric Hipwood, Harry Sharp, Luke Beecken.

Jaspa Fletcher sub.

If Charlie's ankle doesn't come up bring in Will McLachlan.

If Hippy is still not right bring in Luke Lloyd for Henry Smith instead.

In: Hipwood, Beecken
Out: Smith, Prior

Team is still good enough to win 9 games in a row so let's not kid ourselves with wholesale changes.

Not convinced Prior or Brain have locked themselves in and think Beecken has been building really nicely. Given he isn't contracted next year, I think it would be a great opportunity to give him a debut.

Beecken has been playing well at VFL level
Back to HB today after some games on the wing. Swans 15 disposals, Suns 19, Blues 24, Giants 22 being his last 4 games.
He likes to take the game on with backup handballs and getting the ball forward.
But by doing this he also leaves his man unattended. Fantastic goal today but that's his attacking style paying off.
Brain a different type of player and i don't see Beecken taking his spot.
The Brain spot could become Answerth's.
Even McKenna could win it back, but he is also an attacking defender that i don't think we need now.
McKenna's best chance of returning to AFL is playing a better defense style game in the VFL and his experience is a plus.

I see Beecken replacing/being considered (heaven forbid) for Zorko if injured.
I think a wing spot at AFL level would be more suitable to his game style. That would be hard to get though.

Eric’s groin will become a real worry for everyone on this forum if he doesn’t make it back this week.

In all seriousness if he doesn’t, alarm bells would certainly be ringing given the type of injury and the stage of the season we’re in.

Hopefully he’s back for Henry.

I’ve already said I want Berry back on ball. It was Will’s best game since he’s been back yesterday, but I have Berry’s overall form as better in there this year. Maybe Will spends a bit more time on the wing again?

Seen Beecken been mentioned as a wing/HBF option. Could be a good sub option in place of Prior. Depending how it’s going if they don’t want Berry starting in the mid but things aren’t going well in there maybe it allows us to pull that trigger with Beecken heading to his wing etc?

Eric’s groin will become a real worry for everyone on this forum if he doesn’t make it back this week.

In all seriousness if he doesn’t, alarm bells would certainly be ringing given the type of injury and the stage of the season we’re in.

Hopefully he’s back for Henry.

I’ve already said I want Berry back on ball. It was Will’s best game since he’s been back yesterday, but I have Berry’s overall form as better in there this year. Maybe Will spends a bit more time on the wing again?

Seen Beecken been mentioned as a wing/HBF option. Could be a good sub option in place of Prior. Depending how it’s going if they don’t want Berry starting in the mid but things aren’t going well in there maybe it allows us to pull that trigger with Beecken heading to his wing etc?

Hippy will be back dw fam.

Back to HB today after some games on the wing. Swans 15 disposals, Suns 19, Blues 24, Giants 22 being his last 4 games.
He likes to take the game on with backup handballs and getting the ball forward.
But by doing this he also leaves his man unattended. Fantastic goal today but that's his attacking style paying off.
Even McKenna could win it back, but he is also an attacking defender that i don't think we need now.
McKenna's best chance of returning to AFL is playing a better defense style game in the VFL and his experience is a plus.

I think a wing spot at AFL level would be more suitable to his game style. That would be hard to get though.
Beecken will be a jet.

I don't think they have to be exclusively the same player type in order for one to play over another. I do rate Brain, but do wonder if Beecken wouldn't be a better fit for our team. It's not like Brain is playing a lockdown role. He's generally attacking and intercepting - two of Beeckens strengths.

Beecken reminds me of Drummond with a worse kick. I think he could compliment Zorko and Motty. Could also play wing when needed too.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we lost this.

Putting the heat on the forward group this week. Missed chances aside they didn’t work as hard as the forward group of the Giants and we had more than enough supply.

Time for Bailey to be more consistent in games too. He’s a game breaker and we need more quality from him.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we lost this.

Putting the heat on the forward group this week. Missed chances aside they didn’t work as hard as the forward group of the Giants and we had more than enough supply.

Time for Bailey to be more consistent in games too. He’s a game breaker and we need more quality from him.

It would surprise me if we lost either of the remaining games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would surprise me if we lost either of the remaining games.
Either? I think you mean any of our last five.

Need to draw on our emotions from that grand final loss and come out with fury for this one. Top 4 is at stake so I expect the boys to bring the intensity.

The Pies at the MCG still worry me despite their ladder position and that they have little to play for other than pride.

It always surprises me when people want to bring in untried players who look good in the reserves .Only to criticise them after a few games when they don’t perform like a 50 game player .
Smith being one of those players .

DONT PANIC

Fagan never does. He will go minimal changes. The GWS game was a superficial wound, not a fatal blow.

Smith for Hippy seems the move but he could hold Smith to go against the big American. Hippy's mobility, if fit, to help spread Moore, Howe and Maynard out seems right. Dev Robinson has put a few good games together now and has played against the Pies at the MCG and I think would be a good Sub for this one.

Our biggest issue is still about MOMENTS, we just don't have players that can sense a moment and deliver. As supporters you can feel momentum changes in a game, you can hear the crowd lifting, you can see player extra running, desperate actions. We all could see GWS coming, Charlie has a kick for goal, effectively infront that would take the wind from their sails and he sprays it.

There may only be 3 or 4 moments in a game for someone to step up, we just currently step back.

No Jordan De Goey to worry about in this one and Sidebum has slowed down, Pendles aging, if we lose this one with what is at stake we aren't winning a Grand Final anyway.

Some interesting match ups needed.

Jamie Elliott and Bobby Hill up front?
Nick Daicos, tag or not to tag?

Big questions at selection will be do we go two rucks against them or go with Daniher second ruck.

An who will play on Hill. Answerth did an ok job last time but would rather go with Starcevich in his current form.

Would be tempted to keep Hipwood in defence for Joyce. Have a look at it with him and Andrews together.

Sharp or Beecken as sub.

Tough game, Collingwood at the MCG is never easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back