Unofficial Preview Round 23 v Magpies @MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It always surprises me when people want to bring in untried players who look good in the reserves .Only to criticise them after a few games when they don’t perform like a 50 game player .
Smith being one of those players .
Are people criticising Smith for that? I've mostly seen people being impressed with him but also realising that having both Smith and Oscar isn't the right balance for our team structure, especially when Hippy is fit again.

Are people criticising Smith for that? I've mostly seen people being impressed with him but also realising that having both Smith and Oscar isn't the right balance for our team structure, especially when Hippy is fit again.

Very happy with Smith. Confident he will be a good first ruck when McInerney retires.

As for this game Hipwood in Joe back to floating in the ruck smith out. I think with Joyce in the team Prior isn't needed. Would look at Dev in, probably the sub.

Berry to tag Daicos. I'd be annoyed if we didn't because he has struggled majorly the last month with one.

How did McKenna go in the VFL this week?
Brain is beginning to look a little tired after a big few weeks and Prior had no real impact when he came on so just wondering if he is looking any more solid both defensively and with his kicking.
I watched all but the first quarter and a bit and thought Conor was still down on form, would rather Beecken be given a shot if we are looking for that type of player.

I watched all but the first quarter and a bit and thought Conor was still down on form, would rather Beecken be given a shot if we are looking for that type of player.
I know Conor is contracted until end of next year, but he's the kind of guy I could imagine just pulling up stumps at a random time (like end of the year) if he doesn't get a look in again for the year.

I know Conor is contracted until end of next year, but he's the kind of guy I could imagine just pulling up stumps at a random time (like end of the year) if he doesn't get a look in again for the year.
Agree, I have the same feeling about Joe, he is a different cat Joe and I love that about him.

I believe it's critical Dev gets a game this week for his further development ( and retention )..on the ground.
Let him run with N Daicos.
In Dev, Hippy
Out Smith Brain
We have to continue Joyce's development....Payne may never get up or breaks down again.
Would prefer to bring in Sharp if we were to want to sit someone on Daicos all game.
He is the only one who would have the running power to be able to go with him.
He may not go with him at centre bounces but can certainly come to him around the ground.

A big shout out to Craig McRae btw. Umpires will not be happy with his home ground advantage call....and adjust accordingly.

Would prefer to bring in Sharp if we were to want to sit someone on Daicos all game.
He is the only one who would have the running power to be able to go with him.
He may not go with him at centre bounces but can certainly come to him around the ground.
Fair comment. Sharp could run with him but I reckon Daicos is too smart and may need some physical attention.
Daicos last two opponents Jordan and Hewitt.
Daicos started OK but was very weary in the second half after some continual attention.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did McKenna go in the VFL this week?
Brain is beginning to look a little tired after a big few weeks and Prior had no real impact when he came on so just wondering if he is looking any more solid both defensively and with his kicking.
Better as the game went on - much like the team as a whole. Suspect he'll be the 'in' if any changes are made.

Hippy back I hope. Smith has been OK, shown promise but I think we're better with Hippy.
We have to stick with Joyce. He was good b4 the jaw injury, offbeat n probably a bit shy because of it last week. I can't imagine the head gear is good for hearing or vision at times. Training in it would be completely different to a game with the loud crowd etc. It will be louder at the G. At least he's had a game to get use to it if he needs it again this week.
I don't think Prior is needed this week, maybe Brain needs a spell as well as some have said. I'm happy to stick with Brain, give him a Mulligan. The whole of the defense was off a bit not just him.
I've read some calls for Dev. I like Dev, made a case for him often, but if we're not going to use Berry more in the guts of it, I can't see the value of putting Dev in. Having said that, I do think we need a tougher presence in the middle. Especially in the finals.

Who matches up with who in defense. Hill, Elliot, Mccreery, smart n nippy. McStay looks to be going OK and Cox will be his usual self. Hoskin-Elliot has been very good of late, mobile 3rd tall sort. A job for Lester there I think.

Tough week for Big O. Cameron n Cox will test him out as usual. Maybe he was a little down last week but he did cop a lot of holding n rubbish that should have been penalised. He'll bounce back.

Always a good game v Pies. I'm expecting nothing different.

All the umpires need to do is overreact for one week and that will do me.
Bit worried it go against us.. They know who gives them brown bags full of cash :)
AFL also want Pies still in the hunt for the 8 for the last round.

Think ump wise be a danger game for us.

I keep Smith..
Drop Prior for someone.. Do not mind the idea Sharp run with on Diacos.. You shut him down they gone.

Whether Hipwood plays or not is besides the point IMO - mids must get on top and our players must be accurate in front of the big sticks. I am confident we'll be on. The GF rematch would be plenty of motivation.

Anyone else think the MCG is the ground we are best suited to play on?

We used to be a team that thrived on smaller grounds (which is why we were almost unbeatable at the Gabba), however our style has shifted and we are now more of an uncontested marking, move the ball by foot to break the opposition zone type team. We are now very gettable at the Gabba as it is harder to play this way on the smaller ground, however have had our most dominant performances (vs. Melbourne at the MCG and vs. Port at AO) on the larger grounds.

Hand on heart, if I could pick any ground to play on to beat Geelong/Port/Sydney/GWS, I would pick the MCG. I'd be more confident playing there than the Gabba.

Anyone else think the MCG is the ground we are best suited to play on?

We used to be a team that thrived on smaller grounds (which is why we were almost unbeatable at the Gabba), however our style has shifted and we are now more of an uncontested marking, move the ball by foot to break the opposition zone type team. We are now very gettable at the Gabba as it is harder to play this way on the smaller ground, however have had our most dominant performances (vs. Melbourne at the MCG and vs. Port at AO) on the larger grounds.

Hand on heart, if I could pick any ground to play on to beat Geelong/Port/Sydney/GWS, I would pick the MCG. I'd be more confident playing there than the Gabba.

Sigh. Once again: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06...sis-how-much-do-ground-sizes-matter/101154950

1723464517479.png

Gabba is smaller than the MCG by 4m in length and 3m in width. Its not very different in dimensions.

Big questions at selection will be do we go two rucks against them or go with Daniher second ruck.

An who will play on Hill. Answerth did an ok job last time but would rather go with Starcevich in his current form.

Would be tempted to keep Hipwood in defence for Joyce. Have a look at it with him and Andrews together.

Sharp or Beecken as sub.

Tough game, Collingwood at the MCG is never easy.
Never say never 🤔

Tempted to drop Joyce for Answerth this week. Andrews gets Cox and Lester to McStay. Speedy defence
I would be hesitant putting Lester on McStay. Has shown in the past struggles against KPF. I think we have to play Joyce. No guarantee Hippy plays this week. Probably would have been better not having Hippy play that 4th Q against the Suns when he obviously was feeling the groin, but we were only up by 19 at the start of the 4th Q.

Providing Payne is fit and Hippy playing forward, and yes Lester has had a good year, but Ryan tends to get an easy match up often taking the 4th or 5th forward, and IF we play a team like the Hawkes in the finals, I would only play two talls in defence, and bring in some extra pace off CHB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back