Unofficial Preview Round 23 v Magpies @MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How could any player think they had sewn up that game of footy at quarter time.We aint playing the tigers or the roos, GWS are a bloody good football team. Maybe they were dazed about the chances they missed out on. GWS ramped it up.
Maybe minds went to next week and the Grand Final re-match at the G?

Maybe minds went to next week and the Grand Final re-match at the G?
We'd won 8 or 9 in a row.

We came out in the first quarter and should've been 8 up. We looked unbeatable . I'm sure that's what we were thinking.

Good that it's happened now if we are the real deal and we'll know a lot more after this week's game.

Not worried about Hawthorn at all. Least of our worries imo.

GWS were definitely the best opponent we've faced in some time.

Payne not coming up last year and perhaps this year could cost us back to back.

Not his or anyone's fault , just one of those unfortunate things out of anyone's control.

But if we bring him back this year ffs make sure he's good to go.

And if not whatever or how long it takes to get him right.
IMO Hawthorn better than when they beat us earlier in the year and they are certainly better than when they beat us the last couple of years. They are our bogey side. I fear their speed, the positive is, a number of their players have not played at the GABBA and do not have any finals experience.

I think as a fellow poster stated, there is probably a story with Payne. Although there are some requirements on clubs to be a little more open with player injuries, clubs release what they want, when they want.

IMO Hawthorn better than when they beat us earlier in the year and they are certainly better than when they beat us the last couple of years. They are our bogey side. I fear their speed, the positive is, a number of their players have not played at the GABBA and do not have any finals experience.

I think as a fellow poster stated, there is probably a story with Payne. Although there are some requirements on clubs to be a little more open with player injuries, clubs release what they want, when they want.
Jack Payne seems to be one of those players who is prone to injury and just doesn't have a particularly resilient body for week to week AFL. I wouldn't be at all surprised if his pattern of injuries continues as part and parcel of his career. I hope I am wrong.

Also important to recognise we have games where we are stupidly accurate as well. The Saints and Port games are two of the big ones. Just goes to show how much of it is about confidence.
Not just confidence i think. Just like a golfer can lose his swing or a batsman can have a problem with his stance and movement, it doesn't take that much to be out of sorts. It's millimetres between perfection and failure. Millimetres between a good drop to the foot, the pendulum swing of the leg and good connection. I can understand a player having an off day.

A golfer can hit thousands of balls, a batsman can spend hours in the nets and I imagine they put a lot of time into their goal kicking, yet they will all have a shocker at times. A little off in technique, the pressure of the situation, and a little loss in confidence is all it takes.

What is puzzling is that so many can have an off day at once.

What is puzzling is that so many can have an off day at once.
If someone misses an easy one early in the game it is a bad sign of things to come.

It is all about the building pressure, the first bloke misses a sitter then the next one up feels more pressure to get it and it just escalates with each ensuing miss, so bloody important to nail those early shots.

If someone misses an easy one early in the game it is a bad sign of things to come.

It is all about the building pressure, the first bloke misses a sitter then the next one up feels more pressure to get it and it just escalates with each ensuing miss, so bloody important to nail those early shots.
I think we see this a lot with our team. The pressure relief is so obvious once Hipwood or Charlie kick a goal after missing a few. The whole team looks happier and more at ease straight away

Payne has a long history of leg and foot injuries, remembering back his first 2 years were pretty much write offs with shin splints. He was an enormous kid all through juniors and a very good discus thrower and could have apparently gone on with that to Olympic level. Lots of twisting and turning in that. Also in his 15-17 years Brisbane was very dry and the grounds very hard, it wouldn't have been until he got to the Lions he was on soft training grounds again. I think what we see with him is a result more of his 'youth' than anything else, he is from a very good family and even when he moved to Brisbane his mum used to go down and cook meals.

I think we see this a lot with our team. The pressure relief is so obvious once Hipwood or Charlie kick a goal after missing a few. The whole team looks happier and more at ease straight away
You're right, there is a flow on effect of the pressure from misses to the next bloke to kick it straight. i'm sure they use psychologists to manage this and gives skills to overcome it. It's a wonder they dont use a golf professional, a top level one that works with players as I see kicking for goal similar to the concentration needed in golf. In golf they talk about playing with a fire mind, "train like your life depends on it but play like you don't care". Golfers learn to not bring tension into their swing, yet it does get in at times, but they seem better at the repeat action around 70 times a game. Dr Bob Rotella started out with basketball shooters before really making it big with golf psychology and his books make interesting reading on how the mind works and hitting targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back