Review Round 23 vs North Melbourne @ Marvel Stadium - 20/8/22 2:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

ergh, north are going to be on a high with clarkson announcement.
if we get within 5 goals id be surprised.
Will Clarko coach from the bench? :p Good choice, Clarko. North do have a talent. They were hit by injuries early this year and Nobel did not turn out to be a good coach.

Now, how about Clarko picking up Rankine in PSD/ND :tonguewink:

Last edited:

North's backline is pretty weak

Mackay on Casboult
Dawson on Chol
Corr on Lukosius
Bonar on Ainsworth
Young on Rosas
Goater on Sexton

We've kicked around 60 points only the last 2 weeks
Reckon we can kick a fair few goals against that set up.
...and then there's our back line! With Clarkson just announced NM will be on top of the world - if we lose this there will be massive damage done for 2023. They've won 2 games for the year for f.....'s sake.

As one of the few remaining who felt Dew should never have been re-signed, I am in a bind. I so desperately want Suns to beat NM this week. The club really cannot afford to lose this BUT Dew's pathetic record, his (and the selectors') horrendous selection decisions make me extremely nervous. I assume given the poor finish we've had, that Stewie's AFL win / loss ratio is still the worst by far? NM made a difficult decision and Essendon were prepared to do something similar with Rutten if they could have got Clarkson. If we were a Vic Club or an SA / WA club, he'd have gone two years ago, and so I go into the last game of 2022 much the same as every season. Hoping for the best but not at all shocked if we f..k it all up again. Rankine? The only glimmer of hope I see is if he decides to stay - Adelaide are no better than us and hopefully he can see that.

As one of the few remaining who felt Dew should never have been re-signed, I am in a bind. I so desperately want Suns to beat NM this week. The club really cannot afford to lose this BUT Dew's pathetic record, his (and the selectors') horrendous selection decisions make me extremely nervous. I assume given the poor finish we've had, that Stewie's AFL win / loss ratio is still the worst by far? NM made a difficult decision and Essendon were prepared to do something similar with Rutten if they could have got Clarkson. If we were a Vic Club or an SA / WA club, he'd have gone two years ago, and so I go into the last game of 2022 much the same as every season. Hoping for the best but not at all shocked if we f..k it all up again. Rankine? The only glimmer of hope I see is if he decides to stay - Adelaide are no better than us and hopefully he can see that.
The difference is the Crows know how to build a team and gain ultimate success. There is no evidence that we do

I’m with you on Dew. I can almost see Nth playing finals in 3 years and we are still 12th but even then some still justifying the call to re-sign him. FFS some still justify the Weller trade even though Brayshaw and LDU have become guns.

I’ve heard the argument that we needed to start getting players to come to the coast and getting Weller was an important first step but has this lead to quality players wanting to come to the Suns? No

It has also been argued that the deal was less one sided because we picked up Ballard, I can see this as true but is it by design or just dumb luck? I think we all know the answer

I think maybe the club needs to take a leaf out of George Costanza’s book and start doing the exact opposite of what they think is right

So for the cohort that didn't want to give Dew a new contract, I assume you were advocating to move him on, then the question is, who would replace him? Clarkson has said he didn't want to leave VIC, so who comes in?
Sounds like he never would of entertained the job if it was there.
Not a huge amount of outstanding coaching prospects around at the moment either.

So for the cohort that didn't want to give Dew a new contract, I assume you were advocating to move him on, then the question is, who would replace him? Clarkson has said he didn't want to leave VIC, so who comes in?
I’d say this as it knows how to direct traffic 😎
ABCF87B0-80F1-404B-8239-8D3ECEECB9FE.jpeg

They would have to be:

Experienced

Good contacts with player managers / list managers (on a social basis as well)

Have their own 'team' who are 100% loyal to them and the club, above the wishes / tantrums of player groups.

An ability to coach on the run during games

Be a ruthless hard bastard when needed - have an arm around the player when that's needed too.

Above all - the board must back them - Rocket was royally shafted and only got 20% of the heavy lifting done that was needed, before being jettisoned.

We aren't at a standard of professionalism to match the worst of the Vic clubs yet. Too much nepotism, cronyism to certain agents to get someone - anyone - to come up.

To fix this:

Maybe Mark Williams + Jarryd Roughead with Mark Noble as admin / support / board liaison

A "no frills player and salary dump" asap and get the best players who want to come for the right reasons.

Forget LDU / Cam Zurharr / TT now - they will stay. A few fringe Hawks will probably be off the table now - still have an excess of backmen.

So to answer - yeah, it's hard but:

Mark Williams + Jarryd Roughead with Mark Noble as admin / support / board liaison

Plus throw the players and picks out there to snag:

James Jordan - definitely gettable as he's now been dropped pre-finals (again)
Sam Berry
Emerson Jeka

Do this, dump some salary and finals are a whole lot closer next year.

Screw this up - and retention goes out the window - and we are taking 6 kids again in 2024. This window is that important.

They would have to be:

Experienced

Good contacts with player managers / list managers (on a social basis as well)

Have their own 'team' who are 100% loyal to them and the club, above the wishes / tantrums of player groups.

An ability to coach on the run during games

Be a ruthless hard bastard when needed - have an arm around the player when that's needed too.

Above all - the board must back them - Rocket was royally shafted and only got 20% of the heavy lifting done that was needed, before being jettisoned.

We aren't at a standard of professionalism to match the worst of the Vic clubs yet. Too much nepotism, cronyism to certain agents to get someone - anyone - to come up.

To fix this:

Maybe Mark Williams + Jarryd Roughead with Mark Noble as admin / support / board liaison

A "no frills player and salary dump" asap and get the best players who want to come for the right reasons.

Forget LDU / Cam Zurharr / TT now - they will stay. A few fringe Hawks will probably be off the table now - still have an excess of backmen.

So to answer - yeah, it's hard but:

Mark Williams + Jarryd Roughead with Mark Noble as admin / support / board liaison

Plus throw the players and picks out there to snag:

James Jordan - definitely gettable as he's now been dropped pre-finals (again)
Sam Berry
Emerson Jeka

Do this, dump some salary and finals are a whole lot closer next year.

Screw this up - and retention goes out the window - and we are taking 6 kids again in 2024. This window is that important.
Rocket shafted? The players hated him. He brought that completely on himself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our last 3 final round games have been a 72 point loss, a 51 point loss and a 87 point loss.

Not looking forward to this
Yeah, not looking good :)

Suns missing 8 best 22, Collins not in form, playing a couple of kids, Rowell tired. Missed finals, Rankine crap impact.

North have most injured players, missing probably 3-4 best 22, none really important except Anderson. Playing good footy recently, LDU on fire. Pumped from Clarko announcement.

North by 22.

Last edited:
299805690_10158916031480509_940481210386270934_n.jpg

Yeah,but why - because he was trying to change things yeah ?
Because he was a berating campaigner who spoke down to them. These are men, not 13 year old kids.
He didn't make connections with any of the players and expected them to respect him utmost. Old school coaching like that doesn't work anymore.

Last edited:
It’s a 2 sided coin really, we need to win this for dignity as badly as they need to lose for number 1 pick they have some good players out but I still expect a L after a slow start in the first quarter maybe lead at 3 quarter time to go down by 15 points

Can't believe we aren't mixing it up. Disappointed

Better off watching the VFL, Fiorini getting 40 touches and 2 goals and another win

Good idea, when is our VFL game this weekend?

Our last 3 final round games have been a 72 point loss, a 51 point loss and a 87 point loss.

Not looking forward to this

The stats are much much worse than this, no wins since 2013 and a losing margin of 70 on average.

10:30am Saturday at Arden Street.

Thanks, just checked the website, looks like we're making the finals for the first time in VFL/AFL history?

That % tho...

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 23 vs North Melbourne @ Marvel Stadium - 20/8/22 2:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back