Autopsy Round 24, 2024 - Saints defeat Boos

Remove this Banner Ad

Diehard......the club did meet with the fixture chiefs of the AFL a couple of months back.

From what I heard...Prez and Carl Dilena unleashed....we were assured that it won't happen again..

It's the AFL....time will tell.

And yes,the 5 day break was against AFL rules.....yet...surprise....we copped it.
How amateur of the AFL to let it happen in the first place.

Ooh, the Boos board is sooo salty it was too much for me.
Lasted about 3 pages.
What, exactly, have they achieved in the past decade or two?

draft picks aside, what a great goal by higgins, and the fact that he never gave up after missing a few early goals and managed to still have an impact, he's becoming a real leader in our forward line
I've watched that goal about 15 times on the AFL site....it was an absolute cracker.

A high pressure situation.....crowd at fever pitch.....and the height he got from the kick and it bended back and just got over the line.

Amazing stuff.

For those that love a school exam...

Ollie Wines at 7 or Jake Stringer at 5

Discuss...

How amateur of the AFL to let it happen in the first place.
Because they corrupt the fixture, they corrupt the draft, they want to play wank Gather rounds, they want to play perennial losers Essendon and Carlton and now a wooden spoon Richmond in big games each and every year.
They compromise our season because they don't give a shit.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

There’s also a shit load of people who talk about winning culture.

We’re not playing finals, nor are we contending. Winning is important, but a winning culture requires more winning than losing.

Good to see us prioritise winning, but we’re also watching the finals as opposed to being in it.

Hopefully Lalor and Draper get caught snorting bags with the boys and slide to 8&9

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I couldn’t give to ****s about beating Carlton and ending their season. I want a flag and the requires elite mids, which generally requires some luck in the draft.
It’s easier to strike that luck from a high position. We have some talent, but we’re not laden with it like 2004-11.
it’s hard to get excited about 4 points but gee I hope Melbourne draft a tall.
Me too mate that’s the point
I don’t buy the “this will change our culture “ rubbish
Genuinely being a top 4 contender so you can have a real crack - multiple cracks cause your list is good enough is where it’s at
Getting amongst those top 5-6 mids had me excited ….yes we drop back 2 spots but as we’ve seen that choice can make a big difference and we need any leg up we can get

Won it it with Carlton missing half its side by 2 pts
baby crying GIF

Was really happy for Dow when he kicked that goal. As was the team!

And Saints fans really came to life as well.

Second loudest Saints roar of the game. Many pockets of supporters coming to life.

When the winner floated through with 12 seconds left there were about 20,000 Saints fans who emerged from hibernation to go ballistic.

Many of them were in the bleachers on level 3. They had been quiet all day. But then there was an explosion of noise. It was beautiful. Not picked up the TV coverage but it was real.

Onfield, you can see that there is something special germinating in this group. They look really close and seem to be gelling.

I was there buddy and glad you got the joys out of beating a depleted Blues
Not the most magical match I’ve had at Marvel ….and I’ll take beating Dogs in a prelim to make the big day …or just a final for that matter over a dead rubber win at end August any day … all different I guess
Drafting isn't an exact science. Do I wish we got a higher pick? Sure. But there's no guarentee our pick 5 would be better than Pick 7. As I mentioned earlier, the Brownlow medal winner last year was Pick 58. Being an elite U18 player doesn't guarentee being an elite AFL player. It's all luck and development.

Again, Darcy Wilson was Pick 18 last year and was easily the best first year player in 2024. Wilkie, Sinclair and Marshall - our three best players - were all taken in the rookie draft ffs. McCartin, Billings, King, Clark, Coffield - all top 10 picks. There are no guarentees in drafting and getting yourself worked up because we won (which is the ****ing point of AFL football, mind you) is pointless.

You're crying over 2 draft positions (which there's no guarentee would net us an elite midfielder), instead of looking at the positives of our form in the second half of the season and how it has rejuvenated a group that looked disinterested and disenchanted heading into the bye. You can say it was a depleted Carlton side - but it was also a hungry, determined Carlton playing for their season. They were bringing the pressure, the crowd was overwhelmingly on their side (and the umpires in the 4th quarter) and we gutted it out and found a way to win.

If the club thought it was more important for us to lose this game, we would've lost it. Clearly we want to build a winning culture and think that's more important than sliding 2 draft positions. And I agree, buddy.

Last edited:
Now that the dust has settled I feel less confident that the 2 point win is beneficial in any way . I was actually hoping for an honorable loss the whole game and thought we were about to achieve that .
Trying not to too pissed about it. Know it’s gonna feel shit on draft day when rich and melb choose before us
It's just the way the cards fell sainter.

There realistically was nothing we could do about it.

As I mentioned in an earlier post.....these guys are highly paid professional athletes....they just want to WIN.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 24, 2024 - Saints defeat Boos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back