Autopsy Round 24, 2024 - Saints defeat Boos

Remove this Banner Ad

A terrible win. Saints fans celebrating like we've won the premiership when in reality we beat an undermanned team without their two Coleman Medallists. Also hilarious you guys keep shitting on Blues fans for "not making finals" when in the end, as expected, they did. 2 hours of dopamine before crashing back down to earth, and now fans are scrambling to climb up the order or hoping for "luck" to go our way in the draft

Also the "culture" piece. How is one win going to define culture? Is it really that fragile and weak? You know what would build culture? A full year of winning and a premiership cup, which is what losing against the Blues would've helped to increase the likelihood of for the years to come

I know I sound like a major pessimist and a massive dickhead, but I'm looking to the future. I want our club to set ourselves up for long-term and sustained success and the best draft picks give us the best chance at achieving this - not some petty rivalries that in the grand scheme of things, mean nothing when they have more premierships than us

The draft this year has a clear top 6. We now have picks 7&8. There is a reason why experts are calling it a weaker top-end - because it is! And now we do not have priority access to it. Please do not compare this to the Pou and Wilson drafts, it is a completely different scenario and doing so would render you clueless of this year's crop

I won't get started on the fixture effect because tbh if we can't beat the better sides then we don't deserve to achieve anything. But it IS another factor that could help us achieve great things

Saints fans. If you want to reply to this, do not hold back. I want to hear opinions because these are my thoughts and I'm sinking with depression because of it. Please help me see the light
Hello, I am a fellow draft nuff and seriously get a grip.

It's not a terrible win. That's loser mentality.

It was a block of 4 terrific wins that gave us fans, and the players, coaches, Waterboys, SOMETHING to look and build upon for 2025 and beyond. If the club, reportedly, thinks it's prime starts in 2026, we could look back on these four wins as the beginning.

Because of these 4 wins, the players come back in November with a pip and joy in their step, ready to tackle the new year, instead of moping around, not buying into Ross's vision. They can begin to trust Ross, if they haven't already. That's the culture we're saying. But oh no! We moved down two whole spots! What will we ever do!

Yes, of course having picks 5 and 6 would be better.

But Jesus Christ, this is the most even draft, probably ever. I believe Lalor falls to us. But if he doesn't, so ****ing what. There's other kids in this draft besides the top 5 or whatever to get rowdy about. I love Travaglias dash and hunt, Taj Hotton was a lock for the top 5, maybe we take a bolter in Hynes, who most of us froth over. I know you said Hynes is a "late teens at best". Maybe we split the battle compo. The draft is a crapshoot sometimes

If you can't enjoy a win, please, touch some grass.

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

but haven't you heard? there's a CLEAR top 6, picks 7 and 8 aren't fit to clean riley bonner's boots
Swap our current picks 7,24 and 43 with Gold Coast for their current picks of 6,26 and 46.Thats almost identical points value and they will likely down grade picks for NGA player Leo Lombardo so both clubs would likely be happy.
If they plan on using their 1st pick for Rioli I doubt moving down a spot wouldn't affect that trade

The Carlton supporters around me were saying it was the umpires not the injuries. You see, I've become fluent in their language over 45 years of sitting near them. It's not a pretty language but they talk it with great gusto. The Mighty Boos!

Biggest bunch of whingers going around, pathetic the way they were going on, especially as the free kick count levelled up and they were gifted goals directly from frees cough cough Acres 50m penalty.

I was quite pleased to note it was Acres himself who spilled what would have been a match saving mark, that last kick that came in and seconds later came off Higgins' boot for the winner. Fairly pissed his pants I reckon.

In the play that ended with Higgo kicking the winning goal, Hunter went through that pack and created a bit of a gap. He jostled Walsh through past the ball when Walsh might have killed or cleared it. No stat. But so important. And possibly unseen.
Hunter was chasing Walsh and tackled him , no idea where you get the clearing the path bit

We have an epic win with ten seconds to go and there's about 20 pages of a so called supporter sooking it up that we should have lost?

If that's how you feel fine you're a muppet post it once but do you really need to bang on about it for pages and pages.

Especially in this draft where there doesn't even seem to be a clear top ten.
Based on that strategy we Norf it for 3-5 years then win the cup!

We have an epic win with ten seconds to go and there's about 20 pages of a so called supporter sooking it up that we should have lost?

If that's how you feel fine you're a muppet post it once but do you really need to bang on about it for pages and pages.

Especially in this draft where there doesn't even seem to be a clear top ten.
100% and who is to know which player will go to which club so we might even end up with the one we (Club) wanted

Just remember folks ,,, Can go any club

Please help me see the light
At the end of the day, we sucked less than the Dees and GC and deserve a later pick. Tanking is basically cheating.
It's not the players' job to throw games and there are careers on the line.
Not finishing low, and earning respect helps with keeping good sponsors.
We lost a few close ones and finished 2 wins and perc. behind the blues. That doesn't give us a 'right' to the players we want. Need to put it behind you now and keep fingers crossed we make the right calls in November.

Biggest bunch of whingers going around, pathetic the way they were going on, especially as the free kick count levelled up and they were gifted goals directly from frees cough cough Acres 50m penalty.

I was quite pleased to note it was Acres himself who spilled what would have been a match saving mark, that last kick that came in and seconds later came off Higgins' boot for the winner. Fairly pissed his pants I reckon.
I was really ok with not winning, but the constant moaning of the entitled Carlton and the insufferable cheer squad that was supposed neutral commentators made me want to extract pleasure from seeing them cry like children.
The fact that their mono browed cro magnon supporters came here to somehow flex over being beaten and an equally spineless Fremantle allowed them to fall into the last, making up the numbers, eighth spot, just shows that if it was going to cost a place or two in pick order to beat them with 12 seconds to go, is worth it every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Now to watch those semi evolved Simeon's in Carlton colours cry all over again when the Lions hand them their arses.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Always LOVE beating Carlton.

Don’t care about dropping two spots. Seriously we picked Billings & McCartin?

We now go into pre season with optimism & some confidence that is priceless

Dalrymple would want to be worth it cause Toce getting Garcia at 50 last year was a bargain which sort of backs my point about draft position anyway..

Go Saints! **** Carlton arrogant dickheads

Yes cause that’s what’s been suggested but carry on
Honestly just shrill nonsense - no one’s saying lose every game but anyhow we beat a weak blues to drop back 2 places in the draft!
Thank god our culture is now bullet proof though !!

Do you honestly think you're going to change anyone's mind?

You've made your point.

Let people enjoy a win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have any of the draft pick obsessors stopped to consider what a win like this and a finish like this does for player retention? If we hang around the bottom of the ladder perpetually collecting picks like North that massively increases the chances of guys like Nas and Philipou asking for a trade.

Now all said and done we've:
- Finished the season 11-12 and touching distance from the sides on the edge of the 8
- Beat 1st, 3rd, 8th and 9th
- Losses to 2nd, 4th and 7th (with a bullet) by less than a kick

That gives our current crop faith we're heading in the right direction.

What a depressing read after such a great win. We are a miserable lot sometimes.

Yes, on draft day pick 5 is better than pick 7. But that’s not the point. More important is whether pick 5 is STILL better than pick 7 in one, two, five, ten etc years. That is completely unknown. So on that basis, Carlton can SUCK MY TINY GROUNDSKEEPER WILLIE.

Such a shame Freo didn’t deliver their end of the bargain.
Spot on magd2992.

I'll take a win....any type of a win against the baggers every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Pre about 2002......that mob absolutely owned us.........for many many years......have witnessed some horror floggings in those pre 2002 years.

Beating them in the fashion we did......hitting the front with 12 seconds to go...was just so so sweet.

EDIT....Higgo slotting his goal from a shot after the siren....well....icing...cake.

:) :) :)

Ok I have a confession

Ryan Byrnes played his best game ever for us on the weekend , he may have had games with bigger numbers than yesterday but yesterday he was damaging when he got the ball and took a few really strong marks , so well done young fella I was wrong.
I was your biggest fan many years ago and dropped off you , so glad to see you fight your way through a lean period and come out the other side

Ok I have a confession

Ryan Byrnes played his best game ever for us on the weekend , he may have had games with bigger numbers than yesterday but yesterday he was damaging when he got the ball and took a few really strong marks , so well done young fella I was wrong.
I was your biggest fan many years ago and dropped off you , so glad to see you fight your way through a lean period and come out the other side

I dont know if people recognised it but Byrnes has been playing out of defence a bit the last two games. Perhaps they have found the perfect position for him. Either way he gives 120% every week and you have got to love that.

Ok I have a confession

his short kicking is a real weapon too. He can be messy when he kicks for distance but when he lowers his eyes he seems to nail them.

And I am very happy with Pick 50 from last year's draft

Always LOVE beating Carlton.

Don’t care about dropping two spots. Seriously we picked Billings & McCartin?

We now go into pre season with optimism & some confidence that is priceless

Dalrymple would want to be worth it cause Toce getting Garcia at 50 last year was a bargain which sort of backs my point about draft position anyway..

Go Saints! **** Carlton arrogant dickheads
Not sure how you can say Toce got Garcia where's the proof, it could of been Joe Smith looking over a fence & informing our recruiting staff, recruiting staff are many not 1 guy every club has spies around Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 24, 2024 - Saints defeat Boos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back