Autopsy Round 3, 2021: Essendon v St.Kilda *STEELE 100TH* *CLARK 50TH* *CROUCH DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Players:

There's a bunch of good things about this playing group but they're mentally weak, deep down they just haven't got the mentality for it.

Look at them:

- Soft private school boys: Billings, Sinclair, King, McKenzie.
- Entitled self-centred bogans: Carlisle, Crouch, Jones.
- "Leaders" who don't know how to lead: Membrey, Howard, Ross.
- Downhill skiers: Hill, Lonie, Butler.
- Dumb "tough" guys: Long, Webster, Battle.
- Happy-go-lucky lads: Marshall, Ryder, Higgins.
- Quiet shy kids: Gresh, Clark, Coffield

The only real leaders on this entire list are Steele, Hanners, Frawley, Gears, maybe Wilkie - and Steele is the only one of those who actually counts on a weekly basis.

The rest of them go into their shells when things start going wrong, both with their own performances and with their impact on the group.

Somehow we've managed to put together the mentally weakest list in the comp, probably including North.

Don't know how we come back from that.
I don't ever want us to recruit another player beset by soft-tissue injuries again.

If your injury history isn't majoritavely impact-only, you sure as **** don't get anything near equating top-dollar.

Had my kids and nephews all together for Easter watching the footy in Albury . 6 kids under 7 and they all love the saints. Cheered us on regardless of score. Left them with their grandfather at 3 quarter time as couldn’t handle any more. They still cheered regardless bc that’s what we do.

Being a saints supporter is in our blood.
Go saints!

When we finally win a grand final don’t forget the years and years of misery. Days like today will make that one day in 2030 something even sweeter

More like 3020, but I like your optimism.

Staggering that we only had 3 less inside-50’s, and took 15 marks inside 50 to their 17, yet lost by a whopping 75 points!! WTF!? How the hell does that happen!?

If that doesn’t tell you about the way we’re set up in there and moving it in there nothing will.

Bombers also went at an insane 81% DE (to our 73%). They went as well as we went badly.

I know pre season wise players were allowed to set up behind the mark and move freely when on said mark, that changed in the actual season where players even if they are behind the mark can no longer approach it and there's the "lag" of having to wait for the umpire to signal when you can then move.

As one of the ones that were engaged in that tactic of setting up behind the mark and being mobile, that would have screwed some set ups as requiring immediate changes.
Does that rule change rationalize a 75pt thrashing by what was deemed a bottom three side......Now it seems we will be lucky to find ourselves better than bottom three. Obviuosly bigger things in play...where are all the experts and ITK's now?

WTF has happened to Coffield? The guy has fallen off a cliff this season. I know he's not the only one, but the others are all mainly ring-is, and contract stuffers...and therefore you expect their ceiling is near reached, but Coff had serious scope to be near elite...it's disappointing.

I know pre season wise players were allowed to set up behind the mark and move freely when on said mark, that changed in the actual season where players even if they are behind the mark can no longer approach it and there's the "lag" of having to wait for the umpire to signal when you can then move.

As one of the ones that were engaged in that tactic of setting up behind the mark and being mobile, that would have screwed some set ups as requiring immediate changes.
Thats frustrating but doesnt explain why we have became stagnant and immobile over the entire ground.

The entire side was like witches hats every time Essendon got the ball.

WTF has happened to Coffield? The guy has fallen off a cliff this season. I know he's not the only one, but the others are all mainly ring-is, and contract stuffers...and therefore you expect their ceiling is near reached, but Coff had serious scope to be near elite...it's disappointing.
He looks like the lost kid he was back at the start of 2018.

Out of position, backline under duress and now no confidence as a result...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game plan needs to be seriously looked at, it doesn’t work in the new style of game.

A bit of heart by our players also wouldn’t have gone astray.
It doesn’t matter how good or bad your game plan is,if the effort is deplorable and the disposal was nowhere near AFL standard the game plan can’t be executed

So Gresham has now effectively lost 2 seasons worth of game time.

Time to move him on.

We can jerk ourselves off about that game vs Geelong 5 years ago, but he's a long-term liability. Keeping him in the first team is about as futile as watching me lick the bottom of the cake-bowl with my glasses on.

Last edited:
Bytel needs to play, let's quit pretending he isn't better than most of the guys he we had running through their tonight.

Like I said last week - Rowan is our best player. He is such an addition, but by god are we making it hard for ourselves.

King needs a spell in the seconds - what's up with him? Jogging at half pace ALL game. He has to either be underdone or lacking effort. Eitherway it doesn't matter, take a second.

Hannebery needed for some class in the middle.

Ryder is missed. I don't know the ins and outs, but our rucks the last 3 weeks have been nothing short of amismal.

It's going to be tough from here boys!!

Thats frustrating but doesnt explain why we have became stagnant and immobile over the entire ground.

The entire side was like witches hats every time Essendon got the ball.

Oh no doubt, not excusing anything which has happened since, was just inputting what changed between the Blues game and rnd 1 basically.

It's like, you spend all pre season playing one way based on feedback from the fraternity who then turn around and say "psyche" fist chance you got to show it. It's catch up since then and we've got obvious issues we need to rectify to be even considered league average let alone standard.

Man that's bad
You cant tackle the opposition when theyre doing a traing drill. They exposed how slow we are on the spread. This thing is deeper than that we just dont have the cattle. Last year was an anomoly. Due to teams not dealing with the hub. We embraced it and the results showed. Now its back too an even playing field you can see how poor our list is. Coffield is a horrible footballer craps his pants under pressure. Which is a symptom of the last 9 years these players cant handle pressure or respond to it. Anyway bomb it long

You cant tackle the opposition when theyre doing a traing drill. They exposed how slow we are on the spread. This thing is deeper than that we just dont have the cattle. Last year was an anomoly. Due to teams not dealing with the hub. We embraced it and the results showed. Now its back too an even playing field you can see how poor our list is. Coffield is a horrible footballer craps his pants under pressure. Which is a symptom of the last 9 years these players cant handle pressure or respond to it. Anyway bomb it long
Spread?

You have to consolidate possession to spread.

Did your mother teach you nothing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2021: Essendon v St.Kilda *STEELE 100TH* *CLARK 50TH* *CROUCH DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back