Preview Round 3, 2022: Blues v Hawks, 1:10pm Sunday 3rd April, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry guys (and gals), in an act of unbelievable confidence I've decided to tip the Hawks in the footy tipping for the first time this year. I know not why.

You can voice your angst at me in Sunday's autopsy thread.
We might as well we already hate you geelong @rseholes.

short people are 186cm now? Exactly how tall are you?
Correct.

We have the shortest midfield in the AFL. Take a 197cm Irishman out and we average 6 foot. Most top 8 clubs are 6 foot 2 or 3 average.

I’m 175cm - same height as Crawf and I played on him in junior rep footy.

And I wonder if that is why Kosi is being considered to stretch them further again..:cool:
Don't really see Kosi as a big aerial threat. Tall yes, but his advantage is his acceleration. But I guess his height might cause an undersized defender to panic and give away some frees.

I think with those two defenders out we've already got enough talls to stretch them. We've got a good mix down there at the moment and I wouldn't want to see us throw off that balance.

Kosi probably only named on an extended bench as cover for any potential KPP late outs.

We need big games from Mitchell and O’Meara if we are to win. They’ve been below their best in the first two Rounds.

Have they? I think Mitchell has been playing footy that is much better for the team. No need to get 40 every week if it's not helping the team win games. We absolutely need clearance numbers to be better if we want to win though.

Correct.

We have the shortest midfield in the AFL. Take a 197cm Irishman out and we average 6 foot. Most top 8 clubs are 6 foot 2 or 3 average.

I’m 175cm - same height as Crawf and I played on him in junior rep footy.

Dusty is the tallest of Richmond’s midfielders from their premierships and he’s 187cm. Same height as Petracca. Oliver is 189cm and the rest of the Demons mids aren’t as tall as those two. I really don’t think 186cm is all that short for a midfielder.

Dusty is the tallest of Richmond’s midfielders from their premierships and he’s 187cm. Same height as Petracca. Oliver is 189cm and the rest of the Demons mids aren’t as tall as those two. I really don’t think 186cm is all that short for a midfielder.

I didn't know Oliver was that tall, wow interesting.

6 foot is just fine for a midfielder. Reckon our coach was a little shorter than that and he seemed to go okay.

They are starting to get a little taller of late, but the ball does hit the ground a lot.

I'd say that Martin and Petracca (Petracca in particular) whilst "only" being 187cm are power athletes of the highest order.

Petracca is 97kg and moves so well across the ground for someone his size and Martin was similiar at his peak (maybe not as heavy but he was a strong, strong unit).

I think it's a fair observation that on average our midfield unit is usually shorter and less powerful than our opposition (although have Nash and Newk in the mix evens it up a bit)

Just on the eye test I think it is evident that we are crying out for a 190cm 90kg midfield bull to throw in the middle (of course this type doesn't grow on trees)

I'd say that Martin and Petracca (Petracca in particular) whilst "only" being 187cm are power athletes of the highest order.

Petracca is 97kg and moves so well across the ground for someone his size and Martin was similiar at his peak (maybe not as heavy but he was a strong, strong unit).

I think it's a fair observation that on average our midfield unit is usually shorter and less powerful than our opposition (although have Nash and Newk in the mix evens it up a bit)

Just on the eye test I think it is evident that we are crying out for a 190cm 90kg midfield bull to throw in the middle (of course this type doesn't grow on trees)
Finn Maginness is probably that 190cm 90kg bull soon enough.

He's 190ish and his draft weight was 80kg. Would of gained a fair few on that and would be in the mid to late 80s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d love a game breaking big bodied midfielder also - but they don’t grow on trees. My initial reservation was with this person referring to Newcombe as a ‘chunky midget’ - the more time Newc spends as a professional footy player the more of a weapon he’s going to develop into. I don’t think at present being 186cm, 89kg and still developing is a ‘chunky midget’ in any way shape or form.

I've always wondered whether Scrimshaw may get some midfield minutes when Day and Bramble are back.

Still doubtful Chad will be risked given his history of soft tissue issues. Can smell the old mate out card being pulled.

Reckon it’ll end up Chad and Phillips out with Day and Howe in. Either Finn or Howe to be sub.

Personally, I hope they err on the side of caution and get him cherry ripe for the Cats and $tains in a few weeks.

I've always wondered whether Scrimshaw may get some midfield minutes when Day and Bramble are back.
In my opinion Scrimshaw is perfectly suited to half back flank as a rebounder and interceptor. He is decent 1v1 when not on a key position player. As close to a Birchall clone as you can get with a few different skills like his overhead marking. Birch was a tougher player who could crack in hard to the contest better than scrim.

Bramble and Day are perfectly suited to the wing. Long kicking, brambles break away pace and days long strides. Day good defensively as a back but had the more potential in the midfield than say cj and scrim who are similar 3rd tall defenders. Bramble played the role in the back out of necessity when impy, day and cj were out but all 3 back i don't see him or Morrison in the backline.

Cj to wing an option too as he is an elite runner that may be being wasted in the backline.

Would be a very big call indeed to bring another tall forward into a side that has just kicked 120 points!

Also I am not really sure you can carry two 199cm players in a forward line these days.

Seems a better mix is one big key forward (Lewis) then one medium/tall forward (Gunston) with the rest small forwards/high half forward types. If you need another big marking target Big Boy can always rotate from the ruck to the forward pocket.

I suppose the Blues are currently playing with two big units in Curnow and McKay but Curnow is very agile and covers a lot of ground for man his size.
If you have two talls that good you play them. We don’t.
We need at least one of Kosi/Jeka/Callow to spend the VFL season down back and prepare to take over from Frost, who is too small to be our main KPD.

Height doesn't equal big body!!
Lewis 186
Burgoyne 186
Hodge 185
Mitchell 180
Mostly around the 90kg mark!
They went alright at this caper

Sorry guys (and gals), in an act of unbelievable confidence I've decided to tip the Hawks in the footy tipping for the first time this year. I know not why.

You can voice your angst at me in Sunday's autopsy thread.
Oh don't worry I've booked marked it and I will come at you like Will Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back