Autopsy Round 3, 2023: Hawks skin the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

It seemed like Newcombe spent more time forward this week. Of all of our midfielders he's the one that is most likely to have an impact.
Hasd to listen on the radio as I was at work but the commentators kept on mentioning Newcombe. I hardly heard them mention Day but everyone on here is saying he was BOG.

What was the difference between the 2 and who do you think played better?

To be honest todays game was pretty much what I recall him doing most of last season

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He had more score involvements today than in any game last season or the season prior. He was far more dangerous than he has been previously and he worked harder than usual. The work harder bit is the key point I feel, it's really all he needs to keep doing.

What a win for the club backs against the wall! written off by 90% off the media and 50% off our big footy fans!
We took full advantage of a few players missing for North today. But make no mistake they had today a average off 40+ games experience (2 seasons) per player! that's a stat!!!

The Midfield continues to shine with solid support from down back led by Jiath,Dimma,Sic and Moorey up forward he is all class ( future skipper)

Scrimshaw, Brockman you both justified selection and showed us all what we know you are both best 22.

the only disappointing thing for me today was Meeks output. Once we have some key stocks available up fwd he will find it hard.

Great to get a win finally. The backline looked a lot more balanced and more confident today albeit looked a little short. It was a very similar backline to last year which was seen to be one of our strengths.

Midfield looked pretty good. Rucks got monstered however we need to keep in mind how young an inexperienced the talls are. They just need more games.

Forward line looked a little more dynamic without Kosi but is screaming out for Mitch Lewis. I liked the look of Newcombe spending more time down there.

Some of McDonald’s clean pick up’s and skills in the last quarter made the difference. He’s a ripper. Him and Brocky are the class up forward. Worried about how ordinary our rucks looks, and also some of the decision makers out of the back half. Had good stats but I hope that was Wards worse game he’ll play. So many clangers, unlike him. He needs to get stronger in contest. Going forward can’t play both Finn and Nash. Nash is Miles ahead. Bring in Copper Stephens he looks a player.

CMac reminds me a little of Dipper and Plough. Love his attack on the footy and skills.

Anyone who watched the game can tell me why the back line played better today?

Was it personnel? Scrim in, Blank Out.

Hardwick stay down there the whole game?

More support up the field?
Clear Mitchell was experimenting a lot with the backline, this match we went back to Sic and Frost in the key posts and allowed others to play their game around them. It worked better because they're experienced and familiar with the roles. We had higher pressure through the middle too which helped them not get exposed so often.

Anyone who watched the game can tell me why the back line played better today?

Was it personnel? Scrim in, Blank Out.

Hardwick stay down there the whole game?

More support up the field?
Sicily to CHB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow. Can't believe we won!! Amazing feeling again!!
Day is an absolute star. Pure mid now.
Frosty was good!!
Backline immense.
Loved Brocky.
Bring on the Cats!! Can't wait!!!

This is Hawthorn!!!!

View attachment 1646272
I teared up a little when he did this. Bloke ****ing bleeds Brown and Gold like we all do. Such a ****ing gun and leader

Scrimshaw at his best is definitely best 22 and this was amongst his best. Needs to keep building because he's been playing well below his massive ceiling for a while. Only have high standards for him because we know what he's capable of!

Harry Morrison continues to be underrated too, loved that he immediately became #1 whipping boy in the game day chat despite giving us way more structure and actually playing with some composure.
Yep you need to watch Harry and block out the BF posters. That way you can see him for the classy and important player he his. Made some mistakes but definitely straightens us up overall.

Hasd to listen on the radio as I was at work but the commentators kept on mentioning Newcombe. I hardly heard them mention Day but everyone on here is saying he was BOG.

What was the difference between the 2 and who do you think played better?

Reckon Day was BOG. If not him then Moore.

Newcombe was definitely one of our best players. I think he spent more time playing on the HFF than he usually does though.

Yep you need to watch Harry and block out the BF posters. That way you can see him for the classy and important player he his. Made some mistakes but definitely straightens us up overall.
I'm happy to chalk the mistakes up to rustiness too.

The midfield evolution took another step clearly having the better of the Roos. LDU and Simpkin missing helped but we clearly won. Anyone thinking we should have kept Mitch and Jaegar do not understand long term planning here.

Reeves looked good at times giving us first use, his best game this season and utilising his height and frame showing good connection with mids.

Will Day was a star and BOG. His transition to midfield is the right move and he adds class, composure and ball use to midfield.

McKenzie and C McDonald showed poise and desire to want the ball and deliver cleanly forward in the last quarter when the game needed to be won. Positive signs that both kids will be elite.

The backline was a hell more competitive, Frosts ball use was iffy although he was fighting for everything and his desperation to win and half a contest a big improvement. Sicily stood up in 2nd half and CJ/Scrim rebounded well. Hardwick back to his best.

Brockman is just a footballer picking up 3 goals on a lazy Saturday afternoon. Fergus Greene just never gives up and hit the scoreboard this week. Newcombe added a bigger body and pressure in fwd half.

Some areas to improve: Need to find 2 x fwd targets, yes Mitch Lewis will be one although a second is needed as Reeves and Meek struggled to hold onto any marks in fwd half.

Also Bramble and Meek need to show more composure with ball in hand, either miss kick/handballs when under pressure or make turnovers when you would expect them to make better decisions. Both are a watch for me.

Overall it was great to burst Clarko's bubble and get a win to let me the mediots look the fools they are - tanking...pfft.

Onto next week and hopefully a real decent crack at the puddy cats.

Also Champion Data is correct - Moore is elite. Fantastic game from a real leader at the club.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2023: Hawks skin the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back