Autopsy Round 3, 2024: Essendon v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Also this may be small but when kicking in the amount of time bonnet just went long without kicking to our players advantage was infuriating. Why NAS/Sincs/stocker weren’t kicking in was mind boggling
yep killed us in the last quarter. when we just needed to possess the ball for a bit he just went 50/50 long bomb time after time,

but I will add, he wasn't alone, we just needed to hold the ball and find a few easy possessions, we lacked composure and work ethic to do it

yep killed us in the last quarter. when we just needed to possess the ball for a bit he just went 50/50 long bomb time after time,

but I will add, he wasn't alone, we just needed to hold the ball and find a few easy possessions, we lacked composure and work ethic to do it
Arie will be in the same boat, but just because you can kick it long and pretty accurately, doesn't mean you always should.
Then again, there was his short pass going into 50 where he probably should have gone long. Probably second guessing himself.

My main problem was him picking out Mackay and Draper time and again when he did it. We probably missed King for his down the line presence too in the end.

We were decent for the first 3 - not playing the best but would have had a sizeable lead with competent goal kicking - but that last quarter was a slow motion car crash. It was obvious we were going to lose about 30 seconds into it so just waiting Essendon to hit the front was painful. Some many questionable and outright poor decisions being made all over the field.

- On a postitive, Seb Ross was fantastic. One of the most complete games he's played in a long time. His kicking was good, pressure was good, showed he still had his closing speed, decision making was solid, actually kicked his set shot. For someone who was being retried 2 weeks ago, he was one of the few tonight who didn't crumble and make basic errors.

- Dont want to pile too much on Bonner but he was hard to watch. He might be a long kick but that doesn't mean he needs to do that every time he gets the ball. His decision making needs work and I don't think he's defensively good enough to keep his spot once Webster is fit. The part where I lost it with him was in the last quarter, his 3rd kickin in a row where he had Hill short but proceeded to kick it to a contest on the wing for a 3rd consecutive time, which we lost for the 3rd consecutive time. Surely after the first two attempts, it should have registered that that was a bad decision. I know sometimes you can help it, but having both Nas and Sinclair on the bench at the same as this was happening time really hurt.

- The decision to sub off Sharman was fine in isolation but the decision then spend the last quarter kicking long bombs in the air after we subbed off a marking target and were completely outsized around the ground was abysmal.

- King is by far our most important and influential player. We really missed him today and you can't replace his influence with anyone. The forward line structure was instantly back to the complete mess it was last year.

- Was great to see Phillipou get his hands on it more today and be more involved overall. 18 disposals is just below his career high (19) and 6 tackles equals his career high. I'm sure he would like that last kick back but it looked like he was headed for some 2nd year blues after the first 2 games so getting the improvement this week is a good sign.

- Tough lesson with Windy this week with minimal impact. Cant ever question his effort or intent but it's a good reminder that kids learning new positions and taking on a large responsibility in the midfield will have ups and downs.

- We need to solve this 2nd ruck issue and release Owens to be a midfielder.

Another great presser from Ross.
So true. Makes the loss a bit more palatable hearing how across it he is, and we are almost being spoiled by how much clarity he's giving us supporters, compared to the coaches that preceeded him.

Arie will be in the same boat, but just because you can kick it long and pretty accurately, doesn't mean you always should.
Then again, there was his short pass going into 50 where he probably should have gone long. Probably second guessing himself.

My main problem was him picking out Mackay and Draper time and again when he did it. We probably missed King for his down the line presence too in the end.
We used to have the same problem with Savage and previous to him, Joey. Always some guy who wants to lamp it. It's annoying.

We used to have the same problem with Savage and previous to him, Joey. Always some guy who wants to lamp it. It's annoying.
Yeah, I feel like Savage had a bit more going for him in the other parts of his game, and was a bit tougher. Joey definitely made up for any bombs in heaps of other ways, he was a gun. But worried Bonner is just a kick, so when he doesn't get that right he'll have a rough day.

Bonner gets mad distance seemingly without much effort even compared to those two. Can't just be timing, surely. Must be angles, body momentum, leverage. But I think Bonner is probably good cover for if one or more of Hill, Sinclair or Nas are out. Probably don't need all 4 to move the ball well.

One of their goals in the third quarter was Battle thinking he was peak Nathan Buckley and kicked the cover off the ball, missed his team mate who couldn't hang on to it and ball came straight back for a goal.

The amount of unintelligent play today was extraordinary. We handed that game to them. What is it with that club that we bend over for them, time and again? They've been dog shite for 20 years and yet we've beaten them a handful of times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to do with race guys, take it easy, clumsy point maybe. Was just saying he looks so bloody natural with every other part of his game, but when he takes a shot for goal it looks like he grew up over here in Japan and picked it up late. It's a mystery.
Of course Japanese people are great at sports they're familiar with, etc. etc.
My kids are half Japanese by the way, so I have a special affection for Mitch.
Plenty of guys who grew up here and played the game all their lives that can’t kick straight, or hit a target.

We were decent for the first 3 - not playing the best but would have had a sizeable lead with competent goal kicking - but that last quarter was a slow motion car crash. It was obvious we were going to lose about 30 seconds into it so just waiting Essendon to hit the front was painful. Some many questionable and outright poor decisions being made all over the field.

- On a postitive, Seb Ross was fantastic. One of the most complete games he's played in a long time. His kicking was good, pressure was good, showed he still had his closing speed, decision making was solid, actually kicked his set shot. For someone who was being retried 2 weeks ago, he was one of the few tonight who didn't crumble and make basic errors.

- Dont want to pile too much on Bonner but he was hard to watch. He might be a long kick but that doesn't mean he needs to do that every time he gets the ball. His decision making needs work and I don't think he's defensively good enough to keep his spot once Webster is fit. The part where I lost it with him was in the last quarter, his 3rd kickin in a row where he had Hill short but proceeded to kick it to a contest on the wing for a 3rd consecutive time, which we lost for the 3rd consecutive time. Surely after the first two attempts, it should have registered that that was a bad decision. I know sometimes you can help it, but having both Nas and Sinclair on the bench at the same as this was happening time really hurt.

- The decision to sub off Sharman was fine in isolation but the decision then spend the last quarter kicking long bombs in the air after we subbed off a marking target and were completely outsized around the ground was abysmal.

- King is by far our most important and influential player. We really missed him today and you can't replace his influence with anyone. The forward line structure was instantly back to the complete mess it was last year.

- Was great to see Phillipou get his hands on it more today and be more involved overall. 18 disposals is just below his career high (19) and 6 tackles equals his career high. I'm sure he would like that last kick back but it looked like he was headed for some 2nd year blues after the first 2 games so getting the improvement this week is a good sign.

- Tough lesson with Windy this week with minimal impact. Cant ever question his effort or intent but it's a good reminder that kids learning new positions and taking on a large responsibility in the midfield will have ups and downs.

- We need to solve this 2nd ruck issue and release Owens to be a midfielder.
We were good for the first 10 minutes...

Seb Ross looked good because the most of rest of the team were sh1t

I agree with your observations on Bonner

I think Sharman may have copped an injury

King is a great asset but his absence is not why we lost

Marshall concedes about 6 inches to very other ruck in the competition but his influence & marking ability around the ground is very valuable. Owens is not a ruck but ruck taps are worthless unless the midfielders make good on them

I think Sharman may have copped an injury

King is a great asset but his absence is not why we lost

Marshall concedes about 6 inches to very other ruck in the competition but his influence & marking ability around the ground is very valuable. Owens is not a ruck but ruck taps are worthless unless the midfielders make good on them
Seemed a strange sub when Bombers had so much height in defence.

Reckon we missed Crouch today. He was crucial for our contested work all last year, especially with clearances. They don't get on top of us in the 4th if he's in the middle. Hope he can get into good knick for the second half of the season.

Yeah agree, the problem being that our midfield gets killed unless we have all our first-choice guys in there (or someone like Windy pops up for a good game). We just don't have anything resembling depth in the midfield.

My guess is Sharman was injured (or subbed as a precaution). He went to ground after a collision in the forward line just before 3 quarter time and was subbed out at the break.

It seemed a strange decision when he was far from our worst (to that point) and we desperately needed another marking target down the line, particularly as Caminiti seemed to tire as the game wore on and was getting easily bodied by the final term.

Just found these stats, not sure on there accuracy so dont shoot the messenger.

Most turnovers by a player in a single game since 2012:

17 - Riley Bonner (Round 3, 2024)
16 - Jack Crisp (Round 4, 2021)
16 - Dom Sheed (Round 16, 2021)
15 - Harley Bennell (Round 17, 2015)
15 - Marcus Bontempelli (Round 3, 2023)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2024: Essendon v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back