Review Round 3, 2024 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

The Problem with the glaring Hinkley trend is that our players play like they dont think they can win any game. Maybe they are led to believe that they are not good enough to take on the best.

We need a ruthless coach that teaches our talented list that they are the best in the league

Sent from my PHN110 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Frustrating game, thought in some ways we were the better side, but continued to burn the ball at critical stages, made some dumb decisions, missed critical shots. Smashed by Gawn , so we were always on the backfoot at stoppage. May have been the time to for the Sweet Soldo combo as Sweet is more physical. Familiar theme under Hinkley with lack of composure and structure failures at key moments. Screwed by umpiring at home again, but we blew that one.

The umpires were horrendous but we got some stinkers our way too. We got a lot of ducking frees that turned into goals

Of far more serious consequence on the result was the awful forward entries, ball movement and dumb decision making. Its like we purposefully choose the most difficult route to goal like the degree of difficulty will result in a higher score or something

Thought his decision making at key moments in the second half was absolute trash. God in good positions, won the ball, then made the wrong choice basically every time he got it.
yeah, thats why his game tonight was not strong, butters best atribute is his elite decision making. him and rozee looked lost tonight

The Problem with the glaring Hinkley trend is that our players play like they dont think they can win any game. Maybe they are led to believe that they are not good enough to take on the best.

We need a ruthless coach that teaches our talented list that they are the best in the league

The coach was asked after the Richmond game whether he was looking forward to the challenge of playing Melbourne next week, and he replied “nah, not really”.

Tongue-in-cheek or not, that then sets the tone for the whole week and almost gives the players an out for an okay-but-not-good-enough performance.

Hinkley enables the mental midgetry that we so often see from the players in big games, hence why he needed to be cut out like a cancer years ago.

The shocking umpiring, and the umpires were shockers, had nothing to do with Port losing. It had everything to do with being dumb, undisciplined and making skill errors.

I lost count of how many goals we gave them. Melbourne played at their absolute best and we were a long way from our best.

Three game in, two wins one loss - no need to slit our wrists.

Watch Hinkley's post match presser, you'll get your confirmation with your first paragraph

I watched impartiality tonight and people have criticised Rozee and Butters
One thing I noticed was when they were standing near Melbourne's mids . was how huge they were in comparison
SPP will fix that

Nights like these just make me think of a certain Jose Mourinho press conference:

"In Portugese we have a saying - it doesn't translate well to English - but it is football heritage"

Tonight was Hinkley heritage - you know what you're going to get. It doesn't matter who was missing or whether the umpires were garbage - or even that it's Round ****ing three - heritage in the face of adversity always wins out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good was the weather there tonight.
5 stars.

Momentum is everything in sport... time and time again our momentum was halted... or at times gifted to Melbourne

Still should have won.. kick straight and we win, but that's simplifying it way too much.. we have seen it all before...

How good was the weather there tonight.
5 stars.

Momentum is everything in sport... time and time again our momentum was halted... or at times gifted to Melbourne

Still should have won.. kick straight and we win, but that's simplifying it way too much.. we have seen it all before...
Again we have 21 more inside 50’s but gift goals to the opposition this has been happening for years can’t kick straight under pressure players go missing against top sides it’s way more than just a coincidence.
Need new ideas it’s just so predictable year after year.

Again we have 21 more inside 50’s but gift goals to the opposition this has been happening for years can’t kick straight under pressure players go missing against top sides it’s way more than just a coincidence.
Need new ideas it’s just so predictable year after year.
The most overrated stat in footy is our inside 50 count. We are a forward pressing team that locks the ball in our forwards area. The game is mostly played in our forward half so we will always have an inflated inside 50 count... it's also why it looks so easy when the ball gets out and the oppo have so much space up forward..

Quality of ball inside 50 is what we need to work on... not so much the number

Game we could’ve won but we didn’t . Melbourne were on top of their game , we got beaten in the ruck and we had no luck .
Soldo was ok though. Not criticising him just that Gawn is a bit better .
I felt we had them for talent for most of the night but we have to nail those set shot kicks against good teams , especially when they’re on top of their game . Melbournes goal kicking was better than ours and it was just about game over because of that .
Most players were reasonably good . I’m sure happy we’ve got Drew and Houston , they’re excellent sargaents that are t fancy but solid as rocks .
Hard to say who won the midfield , our guys Rozee , Butters and Wines were good , but so we’re Oliver , Petracca and Viney and that dam Neale Bullen .
Not feeling much McEntee love , if he’s there for pressure acts he needs to be able to stick a tackle .
Ratogalea and Zerk Thatcher were good down back but Jones and Allir .YOU HAVE TO HOLD YOUR MARKS. . Games like that dropped marks can cost goals and o e unecessary goal can be the difference between winning an and losing .
We didn’t have any luck with their dump kicks out of defence , usually the odd one lands in our laps but not tonight no .
Feel like McEntee , Evans and Burgoyne not up to the level . Jones and Bergman need to lift .
Kudos to Boak , thought he played a good game pity he ran into Soldo and is possibly concussed but especially in the first half he played the wing beautifully.
Mead was ok and worth another game

SPP and horn will be big inclusions next week, give Mitch a run also.

finlayson did enough to keep his spot

geeze I hope Lachie jones gets his balls dragged on fire pit this week. he reminds me of Fogarty so much potential but just does the dumbest shit.

Last edited:
People can be like "dont go too early its round 3" but we know better. If issues show up in round 3 they will be there at the end.

Year 11, round 3

Anyone think we’re missing bonner head over to the saints board where they have already turned on him. Watched a bit of their game because nothing else was on before ours. 1km gained sure but 32 disposals for 17 turnovers is exactly why we moved him on.

Bergman has all the talent in the world but rarely saw him today. Has the potential to be nat fyfe like and we’re stuffing around with him.

Jones is done. Dont care how fast you are or how high you jump. If you shit yor pants every single time you have the ball and second guess so much every disposals is on your back foot, you dont deserve to be playing any grade of footy. Cut the mullet shave the mo you couldnt look anymore like the amos d grade footballer you are. Catching the ball is the equivalent of a basketball player dribbling and you cant even do that

Mead reminds me of Brucie from the longest yard. Waiting on the sidelines thinks he can play actually gets put on the afl field and turns out to be aldi version of boak. Sure 6 tackles is decent and he tries hard but how many players have we had in the hinkley era who always “has a red hot go” but were trash. Kane Mitchell, Sam Gray,

Esavas moment reminded me of when i think we played north and there was a stoppage in their goalsquare and he smashed it through the sticks from the hitout and they got a free. Either pittard or hartlett had to clear it up for him. Burton did the same today.

Finlayson unsited til the last quarter

Absolutely furious about that game. We have so many mentally weak players. They're softer than last year. There's no way we should have lost that game but we are so unprofessional in how we go about it. Did not see ANY hard nosed efforts from ANY Port player in Q4. These players just aren't serious. Forward strategy is diabolical. Is there anybody in our coaching group who can actually devise a game plan that works to our forwards strengths. You're all a disgrace.

Jones - diabolical. Total disgrace. Drop

Farrell - disgrace. So many soft efforts. Drop

Burton - gets 19 disposals. Can't remember a thing he did. Drop

Evans - did he touch the ball. Disgrace. Drop

Couldn't be bothered discussing the rest as they weren't as bad but all disappeared when it counted. Mental short people against seasoned pros.

Drew and Wines are on fire these past two weeks from a clearance perspective. We really need atleast 1 if not both of them at all stoppages. Butters and Rozee are not clearance players. They are elite receivers. Our wing postion is a massive issue, Bergman needs to go back. I would be tempted to start either Rozee or Butter off a wing and bring them in as n extra at stoppage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 3, 2024 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back