Review Round 11, 2024 vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

In what way have I cherry picked stats

I pointed out that Dixon , quite shockingly has only kicked 7 goals against the Roos during his port career. It’s shocking because most if not all of us would have expected that number to be way higher.

What a ****ing bizarre hill to die on.
Would it shock you to hear that Dixon has kicked a total of 6 goals against north for his entire port career.
I have the right to point out that you cannot even get the number of goals Dixon has kicked against North while at Port right. Is it 6 or 7???

Also the right to point out that based on your updated stats Dixon averages 1.9 goals a game against North over his entire career.

And the right to point out that Dixon averages 1.2 goals a game against North while at Port compared to Marshall averaging 1.4 goals a game. So if Dixon's average is shockingly bad what is Marshalls? Just surprisingly bad? (especially given you are including a haul of 5 against a non existent defense in a game which Dixon did not play).

Most especially I have the right to say games against North don't count. Todd's goalkicking was elite it doesn't matter who he was playing against and I do hope that means he is best to his set shot best.

This feels like a nice hill to put my feet up and die regarding this topic. I'm sure many are grateful. I know I am. Go back and check your stats again on games that don't count Constable Philthy05 of the Post Police.

We know beyond doubt that

F) Dixon , arguably one of the best contested marks in the game is as capable of stopping Todd and Mitch from taking marks as he is weitering or Andrews. If he doesn’t take the grab he sure as hell isn’t letting one of his teammates. His greatest weapon also makes it much harder, hell near impossible for any other kf to take a contested mark. He has a green light to go for anything and 1 working brain cell.
Yeah if it wasn't for that damn Dixon Marshall's 0.8 contested marks a game this year might jump to maybe 1? Mitch might clunk a few more but he generally has to have a run and jump to be in a position to grab them unless he is 1vs1

The gameplan sucks, but your rants against Dixon are the real storm of stupidity. It has already been proven by at least two posters that Marshall averages more marks and goals per game when Dixon is in the side. End of story.

The shitshow we call a gameplan has hurt Dixon's career as much as any of our key forwards. He will be gone soon anyway.

It’s impressive how quickly Sydney have moved on from Franklin.

They have 2 relatively unknown/young key forwards and leading the league for total goals kicked as a team.

it will be interesting to see if Port can do something similar post Dixon.
I think you will find that they didn't want Buddy for a fair whack of the last parts of his contract especially the last year.

An old aging player, especially a key forward can really do some damage to the forward line. It is both physical which you can plainly see but also psychological to the other forwards. I think people underestimate this.

It doesn't surprise me that Sydney are good again because they were in the Granny only two years ago, have young up and coming guys and they don't have to worry about the show, old Buddy show.

I think when some of the old campaigners who didn't really do anything in finals leave or retire, they team will be better.

Rozee and Butters have the keys but the old man is still in the back seat so to speak.

Boak and Dixon are OKish but it would be better overall o get games into young guys but we are a stupid club.

You must not watch the footy. I've seen Todd play well on the half forward numerous times.
How did you know?

My point was that the onus is on Todd to get loose and creative. There are too many wishy washy games where he doesn't get loose, doesn't demand the ball and doesn't use his strengths to advantage. Its not always that he gets ignored. Its that he is too easy to ignore. His games against Stk and the Crows are prime examples.

Stats schmats you just need your eyes to see a bloke moving around like his legs are in plaster while his idiotic teammates get tunnel vision & target him a ridiculous amount of times to the detriment of other forwards.

I think you will find that they didn't want Buddy for a fair whack of the last parts of his contract especially the last year.

An old aging player, especially a key forward can really do some damage to the forward line. It is both physical which you can plainly see but also psychological to the other forwards. I think people underestimate this.

It doesn't surprise me that Sydney are good again because they were in the Granny only two years ago, have young up and coming guys and they don't have to worry about the show, old Buddy show.

I think when some of the old campaigners who didn't really do anything in finals leave or retire, they team will be better.

Rozee and Butters have the keys but the old man is still in the back seat so to speak.

Boak and Dixon are OKish but it would be better overall o get games into young guys but we are a stupid club.

Sydney are very well coached team, they play the SCG exceptionally well and have very good recruiters.

I agree regarding Franklin last year. It was almost like they had two different game plans depending on if he played or not.

The other thing that hurt Sydney last year was long term injuries to key backline players. They basically lost both McCartin brothers for the whole season.

They were always going to bounce back this year. They will go deep into September.

Sydney are very well coached team, they play the SCG exceptionally well and have very good recruiters.

I agree regarding Franklin last year. It was almost like they had two different game plans depending on if he played or not.

The other thing that hurt Sydney last year was long term injuries to key backline players. They basically lost both McCartin brothers for the whole season.

They were always going to bounce back this year. They will go deep into September.

They've got the best midfield in the comp now. Grundy, Warner, Gulden, Heeney.
Luke Parker and Callum Mills are not in the team. Damn.
They are just a well run club.
I like Logan McDonald as well.

I wish we played Adelaide Oval as well as Sydney played the SCG.

I guess the Port crowd gets the feels with their scarves telling everyone to never tear us apart when we never had any chance of it. Its such a nice song for us, the crowd and unfortunately, the opposition.

They've got the best midfield in the comp now. Grundy, Warner, Gulden, Heeney.
Luke Parker and Callum Mills are not in the team. Damn.
They are just a well run club.
I like Logan McDonald as well.

I wish we played Adelaide Oval as well as Sydney played the SCG.

I guess the Port crowd gets the feels with their scarves telling everyone to never tear us apart when we never had any chance of it. Its such a nice song for us, the crowd and unfortunately, the opposition.

Depending on what happens and injuries. There is a real possibility that Aaron Francis will join the “spuds who win a premiership” club.

Don’t think Pete Ladhams will get there.

Todd’s kicking for goal yesterday was a work of art to be sacrifice next Thursday night with the imminent return of “iron hands” Charlie

Why would the presence of one player effect another player's accuracy with set shots? It might affect the number of times a certain player gets the ball but surely not his accuracy with set shots.

From where I sat Todd Marshall recaptured his mojo from 2022 when he kicked 45.15, hopefully he can continue.

Charlie Dixon is what he is, an injury prone 34 year old nearing the end of his career, his presence should have no bearing on Todd Marshall's ability to kick straight. It sounds like you are making a case for Dixon as a scapegoat.

How did you know?

My point was that the onus is on Todd to get loose and creative. There are too many wishy washy games where he doesn't get loose, doesn't demand the ball and doesn't use his strengths to advantage. Its not always that he gets ignored. Its that he is too easy to ignore. His games against Stk and the Crows are prime examples.
Fair enough.

Lets hope he is finding some form.

In what way have I cherry picked stats.

I pointed out that Dixon , quite shockingly has only kicked 7 goals against the Roos during his port career. It’s shocking because most if not all of us would have expected that number to be way higher.

What a ****ing bizarre hill to die on.
In making a comparison between Marshall and Dixon you mention that Marshall has the superior goal kicking average, but quantify that only Dixon's record at Port can only be used.

What isn't mentioned is that 5 of Marshall's 7 games against North are when North were a bottom 2 team. Dixon has only played 2 of his 6 games against North (as a Port player) in that period.

That's what I mean by cherry picking.

We're talking about small sample sizes anyway, so I don't know how much you can really read into it.

For example Marshall's average goals per game against North doubles from 0.7 to 1.4 in one game.

Not really a hill I would die on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have the right to point out that you cannot even get the number of goals Dixon has kicked against North while at Port right. Is it 6 or 7???

Also the right to point out that based on your updated stats Dixon averages 1.9 goals a game against North over his entire career.

And the right to point out that Dixon averages 1.2 goals a game against North while at Port compared to Marshall averaging 1.4 goals a game. So if Dixon's average is shockingly bad what is Marshalls? Just surprisingly bad? (especially given you are including a haul of 5 against a non existent defense in a game which Dixon did not play).

Most especially I have the right to say games against North don't count. Todd's goalkicking was elite it doesn't matter who he was playing against and I do hope that means he is best to his set shot best.

This feels like a nice hill to put my feet up and die regarding this topic. I'm sure many are grateful. I know I am. Go back and check your stats again on games that don't count Constable Philthy05 of the Post Police.

I said in my first reply that I couldn’t recall the exact number I posted in my original post which you read and there wasn’t a need to go back and find it. No one would give a shit, 6/7 they’re both unexpectedly low numbers for our star #1 kf against a poor team.

The only reason you bring it up is hoping it’s some big gotcha moment.

Again, you’re railing against me like I’m Hitler cause I had the audacity to point out that Dixon had a surprisingly low goal total against Roos for port. It was an interesting fact and nothing more and you’ve gone off the rails at me over it.

In making a comparison between Marshall and Dixon you mention that Marshall has the superior goal kicking average, but quantify that only Dixon's record at Port can only be

I never said any such thing , what are you reading?

My post only commented on Dixon’s total goals kicked against north while at port.

That was the entire totality of my post.

Why would the presence of one player effect another player's accuracy with set shots? It might affect the number of times a certain player gets the ball but surely not his accuracy with set shots.

From where I sat Todd Marshall recaptured his mojo from 2022 when he kicked 45.15, hopefully he can continue.

Charlie Dixon is what he is, an injury prone 34 year old nearing the end of his career, his presence should have no bearing on Todd Marshall's ability to kick straight. It sounds like you are making a case for Dixon as a scapegoat.

Would impact WHERE Todd is getting his kicks from - if Charlie is front and centre and Todd is pushed to the pockets for example.

I've watched Todd closely, he's been missing shots all season that he normally nails - hopefully last week was a return to his former self.

He took the same marks as usual but kicked accurately. Isn't that obvious to everyone except philthy?
Kicked accurately but more important was the freedom and follow through of the kick. He just looked good and in the zone kicking through the ball.

I've seen him play good footy against good opposition.

For the millionth time, you just gotta get him a bit loose and creative on the half forward line.

His leg and decision making into the F50 is borderline elite.
Agree with this. When he turns and makes instinctive decisions his kick can slice oppo open. My boys would say - high footy IQ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 11, 2024 vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back