Review Round 3, 2024 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

THE GOOD

Drew was excellent and BOG - 25 possession, 11 tackles, 10 clearances, 9 inside 50s, 8 scoring involvements.
The tall backline held up.
Zerk-Thathcer was good.
Ratugolea was sneaky good and is improving every week.
I thought Soldo was pretty good. I have a feeling people will come at me for this one.
Wines, good in and under
Boak, goodish
Dixon contested marking
Butters and Rozee not as influential as usual but still battling on.

THE MEDIOCRE

Rozee has been a touch off the last two games.
Bergman has not been quite as influential on the wing as I had hoped. He still gets time but I like him down back.
Wines and Boak playing well but not as big of an influence on the games. Like a game circa 2020.
I am wondering if Wines in the centre is hurting Rozee and Butters.

THE UGLY

Kenny Average being outcoached as usual. No corridor. Very little scoring from the backline. Butters, Rozee and Houston all a bit under from their usual games. Houston, Farrell and Burton with no real penetration. Some of their goals coming with mismatches.
Jones with so many unforced errors.
Finlayson never playing in front.
McEntee and Evans not doing a lot up forward.
McEntee with some howlers especially related to marking.
Those 3 goals on the line not saved is just atrocious.
The Ratugolea not saving the ball on the goal line was just despicable.
Our goal kicking being a problem again but this time leading to the loss.
Their mids and players overall looking bigger and stronger than ours, especially in the chest area.
Their forward line taking the game on and kicking goals.
Dixon and Finlayson missing set shots in the final quarter.

Last edited:

Lol ollie wines won a brownlow

He's been good this year. Saying anything else is just seeing what you want to see. The days of him playing 100 minutes in the middle and getting 36 touches and 10 clearances are over - and it's for the better because our midfield is much stronger now with plenty of top liners to share the load. When he won the Brownlow it was Wines or Boak or bust.

I think it’s time we need to forget the Dixon role and come up with a better forward plan for what we have..
Yes but if Dixon gets injured then we are back Finlayson as 2nd ruck anyway which defeats the purpose.

We need Dixon and Lord available so we can rotate them through the 2nd ruck role, drop Finlayson and play a Marshall, Georgiades and Dixon/Lord forward line.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The umpiring was frustrating but had no real impact on the result at all. Only clear *ups were the two clear holding the ball/throw/whatever in the space of 5 seconds that they kicked a goal from. We still lose even if that didn't happen.

It's just the same old bullshit year after year. Same pathetic forward entries to packs of players. Same idiotic mistakes at crucial moments of the game. Same lack of composure in the last quarter of a tight game.

Thought our KPD's did a decent job, even though their talls kicked 5 between them. Esava and Zerk were composed and defended well.

Our small defenders, less good. Burton has just lost the plot. Houston was disappointing. Jones was an absolute pisstake. He's got some tools but we've said this for a couple years now. You can't play top level football with ball handling like him. It's just not possible. I've never seen someone drop so many uncontested marks in a game before. Baffling.

Mids were hit and miss. Drew was phenomenal. Butters played his worst game in 3 years. Wines was decent. Boak was great early. Rozee wasteful. Mead good early but faded.

We can finish the Evans experiment. He doesn't have it. Mcentee had a good first half, then did nothing again.

Had every chance to win that game. Didn't. Hinkley 101
Hey Macca
Do you think we’re fit enough to be a top four side.
I’ve got my doubts.

Yes, no and no.

He's fantastic at the role he plays and when he gets the chance to kick a snag he generally does. If you don't like the role then that's fine but if you actually watch him he's doing everything he's being asked to do.
In the eyes of Hinkley, our master coach. The opposition coach would smile each time he’s picked.

I think I remember a poster in this thread saying that Wines was interviewed after the game on 5AA and he was asked about the lack of leading and Wines basically said that they play to the gameplan of Kenny Average and that's it.

It was quite obvious during the call and has been for a while that both Timmy G and Warren are both not huge fans of our tall forwards playing the cluster and would much prefer the leading forward. You can hear their mix of anguish and exasperation. They really admonish Finny during the call for not being in front and Goodwin really exploited it with Lever this game.

They are also loathe to call out individual players. Timmy G was just about to give Lachie Jones a real hammering after another butter fingers escapade on the wing but changed to the tune of the club and said it was a team defensive problem.

I forgot to finish my point off. I wish I heard Wines talking but it sounds like basically the wear and tear of the gameplan which is kinda against the natural flow of playing footy may have broken the team. Forwards just want to lead and compete.

And my Kingdom, my Kingdom for a small crumbing forward.

I believe giving Williams a run up forward wouldn’t be the worst move.
He started as a forward and his kicking would have to be better than what we are dishing up.
I don't understand why Williams is a fringe player. He is tough, a good kick, wins contested ball and is great decision maker in heavy traffic. He never panics.
There is something the coaches obviously don't like.

I don't understand why Williams is a fringe player. He is tough, a good kick, wins contested ball and is great decision maker in heavy traffic. He never panics.
There is something the coaches obviously don't like.
Lack of panic interpreted as lack of try hardery longery

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets have a quick squizz at where we could've squeezed out some more points with finishing.

My conclusion is that all I can say is that we lost that game.
We've left a lot of points on the grass both offensively and defensively.

1st Quarter

Mead - 30 metres on a 45 degree angle. Doesn't make the distance.
Soldo - 35 metres out directly in front. Point.

2nd Quarter

Ratugolea - doesn't fist or mark the ball on the goal line. I will say that at least he was there.
Bergman - 40 plus metres out on the 45. Tough kick. Not even a point.

3rd Quarter

Dixon - 40 plus metres out on the 45. Tough kick. Hits the post.
Brown - no one on the goal line. Gawn credited with the shepherd of 3 blokes.
Gawn - free kick and goal. Gawn sucks in Finlayson with ruck craft.

4th Quarter

Dixon - slight angle, 40 metres in front. Point.
Windsor - Pickett of all people shepherding the ball over the goal line. Burton seemed to be ball watching.
Finlayson - a tight angle close to goal. Point.

Why no one roughed up Gawn to put him off his game is kind of weird, he’s actually weak in that area , as he doesn’t quite handle it well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why no one roughed up Gawn to put him off his game is kind of weird, he’s actually weak in that area , as he doesn’t quite handle it well.

With that umpiring we'd have just given up a 50 metre penalty.

For anyone who thinks umpires don’t influence the game, rubbish. It happens time and time again against the Vic sides in blockbuster games.
Yes Melbourne took their chances.

We had the mystery Oliver 50
Pickett moving off the mark
Gawn free end of 3rd when he tackled Finy
Rioli non goal
Dixon non high
Plus all the momentum 50-50 frees in the first half.
The 3 throws at the Southern end.

I’m sure there are more I missed.

It’s blatant cheating which we already know.

Outside of that, Melbourne were superior coached structurally it was visible.

Our game plan as we all know sucks balls

Yes but if Dixon gets injured then we are back Finlayson as 2nd ruck anyway which defeats the purpose.

We need Dixon and Lord available so we can rotate them through the 2nd ruck role, drop Finlayson and play a Marshall, Georgiades and Dixon/Lord forward line.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We need to be devising a new forward plan.. go small if we have too, kick chaos balls in, this continual kicking to Charlie’s is a waste of time and whilst he’s there we won’t change.

Im a Charlie fan but enough is enough. Feels like the whole preseason was once again
Based on kicking it on Charlie’s head. It’s not going to work. We need to become more mobile up front.

Lord is a worse ruckman than finalyson.

Can’t jump.

Stick allir in there for a chop out.

To be clear, I wasn't saying JHF should be captain now. My issue is that Rozee will still be youngish when JHF is ready to be captain and thus we won't be in a position to make him captain.

Not necessarily. Rozee is 24 - if JHF is "that guy" in 4 years time I wouldn't be surprised to see a handover with Rozee headed into the twilight of his career.

lo. Ken himself is mentally weak.

He avoids any level of scrutiny.
He pre-rambles about how tough the job is.
Hides away instead of facing his critics/the club supporters.

That guy suggesting that anyone else is mentally weak, no matter how much truth is in it, is outrageous.
That guy selecting him, and many others with the same deficiency, is the icing on the outragous-cake

It's definitely a pot kettle black moment. No debating that at all.

I can't stand the way Ken will consistently talk up the Oppo in the lead up to a game. He puts the negative mindset of "it's just so hard" into our players before the game has even been contested.

Take this last game for example. He literally said after the Richmond game he wasn't looking forward to the Demons game because it was going to be a huge challenge.

I'd much rather a coach who says "right now we're 2-0 heading into a primetime game on national TV and they have to come into our stadium in front of 40 thousand raucous Port Adelaide fans - I can't wait and I know that our boys are going to give it everything, because they're ready for the contest."

Instead you get this meek pissant remark that you will absolutely never hear from a winner.

Bit off topic but I don't think there is a mentally tougher player in the AFL than Jeremy Finlayson. I couldn't even imagine functioning while going through what he is going through. I think I'd struggle to make myself breakfast, never mind be a great role model, husband, father and also succeed at an elite level sport.

There's a difference between mental toughness in life and mental toughness on the field.

He has been a mentally fragile player going back to his days at GWS. Soft as butter.

He is not a player you can rely on to stand up in big games. Never will be. Much rather Georgiades get games in his place once fully fit because he at least has the potential to be a great player who can take the game on.

Not necessarily. Rozee is 24 - if JHF is "that guy" in 4 years time I wouldn't be surprised to see a handover with Rozee headed into the twilight of his career.

It's definitely a pot kettle black moment. No debating that at all.

I can't stand the way Ken will consistently talk up the Oppo in the lead up to a game. He puts the negative mindset of "it's just so hard" into our players before the game has even been contested.

Take this last game for example. He literally said after the Richmond game he wasn't looking forward to the Demons game because it was going to be a huge challenge.

I'd much rather a coach who says "right now we're 2-0 heading into a primetime game on national TV and they have to come into our stadium in front of 40 thousand raucous Port Adelaide fans - I can't wait and I know that our boys are going to give it everything, because they're ready for the contest."

Instead you get this meek pissant remark that you will absolutely never hear from a winner.

Nobody calls it out though, it’s an easy fix.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 3, 2024 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back