Review Round 3, 2024 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Hands up who when Rozee was appointed, felt like it was a default choice and he really isnt the type of player you have as a captain.
He’s handsome, can handle himself with the media, & can smile nicely when getting a pic with sick kids.

That’s all that’s needed to be a captain nowadays, right??

I thought it was pretty obvious Rozee was picked over Butters for reasons outside of football (From SA, probably well off family, probably went to a better school, etc.), no?

I know the whole team was down in the finals, but Rozee was one of our worst players. You don't want your captain trying weak one armed tackling attempts while the midfield is getting smashed.

Bit off topic but I don't think there is a mentally tougher player in the AFL than Jeremy Finlayson. I couldn't even imagine functioning while going through what he is going through. I think I'd struggle to make myself breakfast, never mind be a great role model, husband, father and also succeed at an elite level sport.
It would be an extremely challenging time for him.

Yes, and in that game if we took our chances we win. Too much the same too often. Mentally weak players led by a mentally weak coach and a club led by a mentally weak CEO. Not a decent set of goolies amongst the lot of them.
I don’t think it’s mentally weak players. I think they just completely trust the coach

Aliir’s marking has been horrible this year
I suspect there’s been a lot more pressure on him, he hasn’t had enough time and space.

It may require another floating defender eg Bergman who is good at that role.

Melbourne was very good at holding our players accountable.

It also seemed that went man on man with our FWD’s at FF and CHF with one or two players sitting in between so they out numbered at shallow or deep forward entries

How can you have 21 more inside 50's and lose. I think Ken got excited when he saw that Sam Gray was there to kick the first goal of the game and he thought back to his previous brilliant forward entry plan of Kick it high to Sammy Gray. The only problem that Ken made was he confused Sam Gray with Max Gawn - a simple mistake

Deja Vu all farken over again.

Yes it was a high quality match, worthy of a finals pressure type game.

Big Saturday night home game against a likely top 4 and almost certain top 8 side and we compete well, better than well, win all the stats, but f@ck it up with dumb shit, can't kick straight for goal, go back to bombing inside 50 because May isn't playing and make dopey errors in defence.

I said in the game day thread at about 4pm we we would win by 2 goals and 8 or 9 behinds.

It sort of happened, ie the bad goal kicking.

We were 8-3 to 7-3 after about 5 minutes into the third quarter and had dominated those 5 minutes and we must have gone inside 50, 8 times in those 5 minutes and finally kicked a goal.

Then we kicked 5-8 to 8-3, and some of those 8 behinds were very straight forward shots on goal either on the run or set shots.

Can we play a game of footy where we only kick 2 or 3 points a quarter, over the 4 quarters, and not pile on 5 or 6 behinds when we dominate for only 1 or 2 goals.

Hinkley says Melbourne kicked very well for goal, but we didn't execute well our shots on goal, but we are working on it. Melbourne kicked well for goal, but as Goodwin said, they have Choco who has been working intensely on goal kicking for 5 seasons now.

Choco did it personally when he was a head AFL coach. Hinkley outsources it to someone else and we go and get someone from the UK via zoom to help, who supposedly will be at Alberton soon, when we have someone like Ben Perkins with a proven track record, offering to help, but we say no, you are too strange.

The X scores below says that Melbourne did kick better that normal, as the AFL average says you wont convert as many goals as they did, but Port failed as normal, and Xscores calculated we should have won

And the bloody mistakes in defence. Send Lachie Jones to the Gripo factory to work there for 2 weeks . I reckon his mistakes cost us 2 goals for sure and probably a third one.

What was the bullshit on the goal line?? Esava rubbish trying to mark the ball behind the line when nobody was there. Just bloody punch the ball if you're not confident. And the big 50m set shot kick by Ben Brown when Gawn was able to push Esava, Aliir and one other player enough off the line so that it went thru. Someone should have easily rushed that thru.

I said to Ford Fairlane at one of the games at Alberton Oval, that we are bloody hopeless in the goal square, we don't rush thru enough behinds, let oppo get easy goals, and we struggle to soccer or kick goals in the goal square. I haven't written down the stats, been keeping a mental note but think I will have to go back at look at the vision because I reckon now after 3 games we are a few goals in the negative.

Drew played another big game. Thought our mids matched theirs. Gawn dominated Soldo. This was the game to play 2 rucks. Finlayson has to go. You don't play 5m behind Lever when you are a forward like he did in the first half. He was spacey in the first half against Richmond before he woke up and he was spacey in the first half against Melbourne.

Georgiades has to play and if we have to play a second ruck against certain sides then so be it.

Heard Dermott Brereton on SEN before the Saints game started, when the panel were discussing the games for the weekend, and when they got to the Port game preview, he said you can tell how strong a side is by who isn't injured and doesn't get a game. He said he thought Georgiades is the best player in the league not getting a game at the moment.

We are now 12W-24L at Adelaide Oval on a Saturday night and 11W-23L against top 8 sides for all games at AO, if you reckon Melbourne will finish top 8. Our night game record is now 30-31 so 18W-7L for non Saturday night games.

Lucky we have 3 non Saturday night games before Rd 16, as current schedule only done to Rd 15, ie Essendon next Friday night, St Kilda Friday, day after ANZAC day and Carlton Rd 11 on Thursday night. Saturday night after Gather round is Freo. Another Saturday night test we will struggle with.

I heard Ollie being interviewed post game and he basically confirmed the way we played, was the way we expected to play. He came up with same sort of BS about Lever that the crows coaches and players sprouted about Tom Stewart the week before.

After the game walking down War Memorial Drive to my car, the word's of Chisel's Saturday Night keep going thru my head.

Saturday night's already old
Walking into Sunday, and I find
All desires are cold
I could walk forever, I don't mind
Show me a light, your company
Goes a little way to help me see
The path on which I'm bound
Rather than the things I leave behind

Hinkley ain't showing me much light at the end of the tunnel and that the path we are bound under him, isn't that much different to the things I left behind at AO. And I know for sure Hinkley doesn't have the key's to the city, so none of us Port fans will get access to them whilst he is still around.

Yeah we will win 12 to 15 games, should make the finals, but as Bert said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Hinkley and his coaches are insane under Bert's observations.

This graphic set confirms the stats I kept at the game that we had 5 set shots on goal and didn't even score ie make the distance.

AFL app says we had 28 shots at goal from 66 I50's and they had 22 from 45 I50.

1711945177716.png

Last edited:
We still play dumb footy which is hard to watch. So much energy is spent for little reward. Then good sides are able to sink us with 4 or 5 clean bits of play.

We still can’t take our chances honestly feel like I’m losing my mind watching this team. Seen that game 30 times before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I remember a poster in this thread saying that Wines was interviewed after the game on 5AA and he was asked about the lack of leading and Wines basically said that they play to the gameplan of Kenny Average and that's it.

It was quite obvious during the call and has been for a while that both Timmy G and Warren are both not huge fans of our tall forwards playing the cluster and would much prefer the leading forward. You can hear their mix of anguish and exasperation. They really admonish Finny during the call for not being in front and Goodwin really exploited it with Lever this game.

They are also loathe to call out individual players. Timmy G was just about to give Lachie Jones a real hammering after another butter fingers escapade on the wing but changed to the tune of the club and said it was a team defensive problem.

I forgot to finish my point off. I wish I heard Wines talking but it sounds like basically the wear and tear of the gameplan which is kinda against the natural flow of playing footy may have broken the team. Forwards just want to lead and compete.

And my Kingdom, my Kingdom for a small crumbing forward.
Pity about Tredders and Giniver being hamstrung in stating their true feelings. Not sure what Giniver's arrangement with the club is all about.

Pity about Tredders and Giniver being hamstrung in stating their true feelings. Not sure what Giniver's arrangement with the club is all about.
I'm not worried about Warren playing a straighter bat on air this year, compared to last year, provided he shows his true feeling in board meetings and at the Football Committee meetings and other stuff he might do at the club.

Tim wants to play the nice guy and knows if he goes too hard, he might get cut off from the club, which he isn't prepared to do. At times he gets stuck into the club, players and coaches efforts, but pulls up short on air rather than continuing to plough thru.

Deja Vu all farken over again.

Yes it was a high quality match, worthy of a finals pressure type game.

Big Saturday night home game against a likely top 4 and almost certain top 8 side and we compete well, better than well, win all the stats, but f@ck it up with dumb s**t, can't kick straight for goal, go back to bombing inside 50 because May isn't playing and make dopey errors in defence.

I said in the game day thread at about 4pm we we would win by 2 goals and 8 or 9 behinds.

It sort of happened, ie the bad goal kicking.

We were 8-3 to 7-3 after about 5 minutes into the third quarter and had dominated those 5 minutes and we must have gone inside 50, 8 times in those 5 minutes and finally kicked a goal.

Then we kicked 5-8 to 8-3, and some of those 8 behinds were very straight forward shots on goal either on the run or set shots.

Can we play a game of footy where we only kick 2 or 3 points a quarter, over the 4 quarters, and not pile on 5 or 6 behinds when we dominate for only 1 or 2 goals.

Hinkley says Melbourne kicked very well for goal, but we didn't execute well our shots on goal, but we are working on it. Melbourne kicked well for goal, but as Goodwin said, they have Choco who has been working intensely on goal kicking for 5 seasons now.

Choco did it personally when he was a head AFL coach. Hinkley outsources it to someone else and we go and get someone from the UK via zoom to help, who supposedly will be at Alberton soon, when we have someone like Ben Perkins with a proven track record, offering to help, but we say no, you are too strange.

The X scores below says that Melbourne did kick better that normal, as the AFL average says you wont convert as many goals as they did, but Port failed as normal, and Xscores calculated we should have won

And the bloody mistakes in defence. Send Lachie Jones to the Gripo factory to work there for 2 weeks . I reckon his mistakes cost us 2 goals for sure and probably a third one.

What was the bullshit on the goal line?? Esava rubbish trying to mark the ball behind the line when nobody was there. Just bloody punch the ball if you're not confident. And the big 50m set shot kick by Ben Brown when Gawn was able to push Esava, Aliir and one other player enough off the line so that it went thru. Someone should have easily rushed that thru.

I said to Ford Fairlane at one of the games at Alberton Oval, that we are bloody hopeless in the goal square, we don't rush thru enough behinds, let oppo get easy goals, and we struggle to soccer or kick goals in the goal square. I haven't written down the stats, been keeping a mental note but think I will have to go back at look at the vision because I reckon now after 3 games we are a few goals in the negative.

Drew played another big game. Thought our mids matched theirs. Gawn dominated Soldo. This was the game to play 2 rucks. Finlayson has to go. You don't play 5m behind Lever when you are a forward like he did in the first half. He was spacey in the first half against Richmond before he woke up and he was spacey in the first half against Melbourne.

Georgiades has to play and if we have to play a second ruck against certain sides then so be it.

Heard Dermott Brereton on SEN before the Saints game started, when the panel were discussing the games for the weekend, and when they got to the Port game preview, he said you can tell how strong a side is by who isn't injured and doesn't get a game. He said he thought Georgiades is the best player in the league not getting a game at the moment.

We are now 12W-24L at Adelaide Oval on a Saturday night and 11W-23L against top 8 sides for all games at AO, if you reckon Melbourne will finish top 8. Our night game record is now 30-31 so 18W-7L for non Saturday night games.

Lucky we have 3 non Saturday night games before Rd 16, as current schedule only done to Rd 15, ie Essendon next Friday night, St Kilda Friday, day after ANZAC day and Carlton Rd 11 on Thursday night. Saturday night after Gather round is Freo. Another Saturday night test we will struggle with.

I heard Ollie being interviewed post game and he basically confirmed the way we played, was the way we expected to play. He came up with same sort of BS about Lever that the crows coaches and players sprouted about Tom Stewart the week before.

After the game walking down War Memorial Drive to my car, the word's of Chisel's Saturday Night keep going thru my head.

Saturday night's already old
Walking into Sunday, and I find
All desires are cold
I could walk forever, I don't mind
Show me a light, your company
Goes a little way to help me see
The path on which I'm bound
Rather than the things I leave behind

Hinkley ain't showing me much light at the end of the tunnel and that the path we are bound under him, isn't that much different to the things I left behind at AO. And I know for sure Hinkley doesn't have the key's to the city, so none of us Port fans will get access to them whilst he is still around.

Yeah we will win 12 to 15 games, should make the finals, but as Bert said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Hinkley and his coaches are insane under Bert's observations.

This graphic set confirms the stats I kept at the game that we had 5 set shots on goal and didn't even score ie make the distance.

AFL app says we had 28 shots at goal from 66 I50's and they had 22 from 45 I50.

View attachment 1946182

We had 6 set shots from pretty much the same angles as Melbourne did in that 30-60 degree range on the left side. They nailed all but one of theirs for 5.1 (31 points) while we went 0.3 (3 points), with 3 not even scoring.

Melbourne goes a more realistic 3.3 (21 points instead of 31) (expected score from those set shots is 50/50) we win the game regardless by 3 points. We go a more realistic 3.3 (21 points instead of 3) and we win that game by 11 points. Both scenarios happen, and we win by 21 points.

As for the Brown goal - you mean this one where he blatantly pushes Aliir in the back?

1711975591281.png
1711975633253.png
1711975754376.png

If it wasn't Max Gawn, and it wasn't a Channel 7 live broadcast into Victoria where every goal equals advertising revenue, that's a free kick all day long. It wasn't 'great bodywork' by Gawn. It was unmitigated bullshit umpiring and should be called out as such.

He is however 100% responsible for selecting them, and not adequately being able to coach them out of being idiots (or building a gameplan that covers their flaws and maximises their strengths)
Every player selected deserved their spot. Some of them did not justify their selection. The game plan was not the the issue, the ill-discipline, the stupidity and the lack of executing basic skills was the issue.

Blame the coach when he needs to be blamed but everything leading up to this game suggested that we would have too much class and firepower for Melbourne to handle at Adelaide oval.

The coach is always the one who cops it after a loss and that is not unreasonable at all and he has to wear the ineptitude of his players. What does he do now? Drop Ratugolea, Alir, Jones, Bergman, Farrell, Soldo, etc?

Drew was clearly our best mid. I thought Wines was pretty good. Butters was in and out of the game but still found a way to have an impact. Rozee was the big disappointment on the night.

Melbourne's midfield is probably the only one in the comp that can claim to be as good or better than our midfield. And they were playing to significant ruck dominance all night. On that score, I didn't think we did badly there.

And I don't mind Mead as a depth player but JHF is a massive, massive upgrade on him.
Actually I saw it the other way.
Thought that was Butters' worst game in over 12 months. Sure, he had 20-odd possies, but he was running around like a chook with his head cut off most of the time. Didn't impress me at all.

Rozee wasn't as influential as he has been but I thought he was ok. (Don't get me wrong, I want him to have more influence on games) but at least he kicked his clutch goal...

We had 6 set shots from pretty much the same angles as Melbourne did in that 30-60 degree range on the left side. They nailed all but one of theirs for 5.1 (31 points) while we went 0.3 (3 points), with 3 not even scoring.

Melbourne goes a more realistic 3.3 (21 points instead of 31) (expected score from those set shots is 50/50) we win the game regardless by 3 points. We go a more realistic 3.3 (21 points instead of 3) and we win that game by 11 points. Both scenarios happen, and we win by 21 points.

Same old same old. Its always if we did x, we win. We didn't and we don't in big games. That's the deja vu all bloody over again.

Our goal kicking in big games has been an issue for years. We haven't fixed it and we don't prioritise it because the coach isn't under pressure to fix it.
As for the Brown goal - you mean this one where he blatantly pushes Aliir in the back?

View attachment 1946778
View attachment 1946779
View attachment 1946780

If it wasn't Max Gawn, and it wasn't a Channel 7 live broadcast into Victoria where every goal equals advertising revenue, that's a free kick all day long. It wasn't 'great bodywork' by Gawn. It was unmitigated bullshit umpiring and should be called out as such.

Umpires rarely get in position to call these. When Aliir saved the game against Sydney last year after the siren, Buddy pushed Bergman fair square in the back, before Aliir did his bit, and the umps didn't pay it.

Goal umpires don't call frees.

What was BZT doing behind the line, why isn't he jumping into Gawn and towards the ball?? Why isn't Finlayson trying to do something different. Its dumb footy, but Gawn rucking against Finlayson you always know Gawn will out think Finlayson, not just in the ruck but around the ground.

Last edited:
I go from listening to Jurgen Klopp pressers and being genuinely inspired and pumped for games, to listening to the buffoon talk and wanting to put my head through a wall.

Last edited:
You could point to expected scores and goal kicking differential and say if we played this game again 100 times we would win 96 times and move on quickly if this exact type of loss didn’t seem to occur multiple times every season (and mainly at night time against top 8 teams).

For whatever reason when we have howler nights in front of goal the opposition have no issue shooting the lights out from all angles and distances. Perhaps they smell the blood in the water with Hinkley’s pre game negativity and our mental fragility on the field and their confidence grows from there.

But it happened last year against Collingwood, against the hawks in the Russell Ebert match in 2022, happened in 2017 elimination final, 2014 prelim, and even our best season under Hinkley in 2020 we played a fringe top 8 team in saints on a Saturday night and they kicked 12.1 to our 6.8. And there have been plenty other examples, it’s not just bad luck if it happens regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back