Round 3:- Blues V Bombers pre match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Dons are rubbish, and we are well and truly on the rise. But I refuse to pencil this in as a win as you just don't know with Carlton-Essendon games....

They really are rubbish though!
:D

Jacobs and Kreuzer to break even with Hille.

Midfield will run riot. Judd, Murphy and Gibbs to share the 3, 2, 1 again.

Joseph to shut down Davey. No-one to run with Judd. No-one to stop Betts. Robinson to run riot. Hurley to get a lesson from Fev.

Dons defenders and mids to go to water with our defensive pressure.

I think this game has the potential to go more like the Tigers game than the Lions game.

Blues by 48 points.

Joseph to shut down Davey. No-one to run with Judd. No-one to stop Betts. Robinson to run riot. Hurley to get a lesson from Fev.

I think this game has the potential to go more like the Tigers game than the Lions game.

Blues by 48 points.

Hurley is injured and will not play.

I'd like to hope the rest of your post is correct and really, it should be, but you can never be so confident going into a match against Collingwood or Essendon as it really doesn't matter where the teams are on the ladder.

Seriously all the good that's happened the last 2 weeks could be severley dampened if we lose to the Dons. That being said, don't think we will. We just beat them in every department. 75,000 at G can't wait:D:D

Let's not get ahead of ourselves guys. Admittedly we're off to a cracking start in 09, but were outplayed and outcoached in 08 twice by the Dons.

In theory we should be favourites and come out with a win, but I'm not all that confident about this one as others may be.

Far too soon to be thinking about next week's game - not quite over last night's game with a whole page worth of threads to trudge through.

That said, I can't see them posing all that much of a threat to us, though given they got over us twice last year and encounters between the Big 3 generally don't seem to be affected by the form of the clubs, it could be a bit of a danger game for us.

A win though and we start the season off 3-0 for the first time since 2000? Stevens and Grigg back, likely at the expense of Gartlett who I thought struggled today and possibly Azza.

I'd expect Austin or Setanta might come in for the injured Jamison, as Ratten seems hellbent on ensuring Waite plays that loose man role in defense, given how long it took him to switch him to Bradshaw when he was clearly strong and smart for Bower at this stage. Even though Setanta's supposedly playing well in the seconds, Austin gives us a lot more to work with and I'd like to see us persevere with him in Jamo's absence.

They have a history of knocking us off when we should win. Little bit worried about this one to be honest, but if our mids can get on top, especially with stevo back, we should go 3-0.

What crap is this? Essendon won't get within 60 points of us. People seem to be remembering and assessing Carlton teams of the early to mid 2000's. Those teams have gone - so now will the losses to third rate outfits like the current Essendon side. WACFTR. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope to be a the MCG next week.. watchin the Blues totally dominate.. Betts with 3-4.. Fev 4-5 and hopefully Cloke can get a few more coz he put in some nice marking efforts today..

Me and the old man were goin nuts about the fact they've left Garlett in the side when Walker or Grigg could have slotted in.. the poor young man just does not have the build to be playing AFL yet.. hes matchstick thin! I'd rather just see Yarran this year... and not too many others.. maybe Robinson for another few games before he makes way for more experienced players. We're both really excited though about how much more depth we have this season.. and it'll only get better!

Please.. Fisher.. please keep kicking goals in the VFL.. i want you back on the AFL list.. but only if your in the habit of kicking 'em through the big sticks!

So far I've tipped us to beat Richmond by 4 goals - way off....Brisbane by 15-20 right there.

So fairly conservative so far, but I honestly think we should beat Essendon by 7-8 goals ++ the big difference from this time last year is we now have Hadley to mix it with their workhorse midfield. He is severely underestimated.

Dons have a few injuries, but so do we. Cannot discount that these games are always close, I haven't seen a blowout from Carlton vs Essendon for quite a few years now.

Blues by 48 points.

Yes like your work here.

Fev to run amok, the mids as well, we should really smash that scum, it;s well overdue, they really are the club I detest the most.

Pleeeaaase Pleeeease smash em.

Blues by 55

Essendon continue with their unaccountable fleet footed attacking brand of football and their disposal is average at best.

Their margin over Freo is more refelctive of how much worse Freo's disposal is and is no doubt flattering their Bradburyesque win today.

Hille generally had blinders against us and I hope that Jacobs has the body to stimy his influence and Kreuze should have him covered for mobility.

One thing to look out for match-ups wise is the legspeed of Davey, Lovett, Winderlich and Dempsey.

Then again with the (lack of) quality of their disposal and our tackling pressure it could just as well have no bearing on the result anyway.

Blues by 42!

Watched most of their game vs Fremantle today, and whilst they had a pretty comfortable win, they didn't have a heap of competition from the Dockers. Ryder played forward, and left Fletcher to lead a pretty inexperienced backline with Pears and Myers back there. If we can get Fevola, Cloke and Kreuzer/Jacobs down there, we'll really stretch their back half, even moreso with Wiggins so good above his head.

Into their forward line, Lloyd and Lucas did very little, with them only contributing 1 goal between them. McPhee kicked 3, Ryder and Winderlich kicked 2. The rest were single goal scorers.

Having seen this, I would go for the following matchups:

Setanta/Lloyd
Waite/Lucas
Bower/McPhee
Thornton/Ryder

All these four won't be forward all game, in fact, Lloyd and Lucas spent there fair share of time on the bench today, and surprisingly, they were on the bench together at times.

In previous matches, it has been Essendons run that has hurt us, and we must shut these guys down next week. AJ will most certainly get a job, and could take Lovett next week. Guys like Scotland and Johnson must sure guys like Dempsey and Davey don't kill us around the half forward line, and as I have said previously, Kreuzer and Jacobs must make sure Hille doesn't smash us like he did last year.

Essendon not having Welsh and McVeigh will hurt them significantly, as it effectively takes 2 of their best mids out, and also really restricts their efforts in taging our gun mids out of the game. We also need to limit the amount of ball Watson and Stanton get, and I suspect we'd look to Russell and maybe Hadley to play on these boys.

All in all, I think we'll be too strong, especially in the midfield, and give our forwards a heap of ball. Carlton by 35 points.

Essendon not having Welsh and McVeigh will hurt them significantly, as it effectively takes 2 of their best mids out, and also really restricts their efforts in taging our gun mids out of the game. We also need to limit the amount of ball Watson and Stanton get, and I suspect we'd look to Russell and maybe Hadley to play on these boys.

I think you're spot on RE: McVeigh and Welsh - they are two of our best clearance players (w/ Watson), Welsh out really restricts us in terms of limiting the influence on Judd or Murphy.

Whilst the Dons match up well against you guys I think having those two out will be too much.

Great post HBF. Hit the nail on the head. Couldn't said it better myself. Dons best 22 would be competitive with the Blues.. sadly we don't have the depth to cover the loss of two of our best midfielders at the moment... Blues SHOULD win by at least 4 goals.

That being said, Carlton still don't seem to want to play 4 quarters of footy... If you give the Dons a 4-5 goal head start it could be anyone's game...

jacobs and kreuzer to beat hille? don't bet on it. we were severely undermanned last year with injuries and still bet your lot both times. with more players in this time and more experience for the younger players what gives you blues supporters the gall to sya it'll happen?

Dons by 27 points.

jacobs and kreuzer to beat hille? don't bet on it. we were severely undermanned last year with injuries and still bet your lot both times. with more players in this time and more experience for the younger players what gives you blues supporters the gall to sya it'll happen?

Dons by 27 points.

I don't think any of us are expecting Kreuzer and Jacobs to dominate Hille, but we need them to quell his effectiveness over the game, otherwise he'll kill us like he did last year.

Just think we are too strong in the middle of the ground, and that will be the difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 3:- Blues V Bombers pre match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back