Toast Round 3 = Collingwood 81-37 St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Matty Boyd our defence coach deserve a lot of credit too.

It's always our star midfielders and forwards who get all the attention, but Howe Crisp Moore Maynard are all criminally underrated, and regularly outperform their much more hyped teammates.

Our defence has been great since 2018 and it was Longmuir who set that wheel in motion.

Thankfully we haven't seemingly dropped off in this area under Boyd and my concerns heading into this season have been allayed.

For what its worth, yesteday was exactly what I expected. Not necissiarly from our game, but more from St Kilda.

Their linup is effectively made up of rejects from other clubs, plus a few decent FA singings. Lets take a look at the team from Yesterday:

Ryder, Butler, Hannebery, Marsh, Jones, Hill, Howard - All new to the club this year. All bar Butler had stinkers.

I had the same thoughts at the trade period as I do now, there is a reason a lot of these players were able to walk from their clubs and arrive at the Saints. Sure they payed a price for Hill but the rest were pick swaps, late picks or FA signings.

If their old clubs rated these players, they would have fought to keep them or get something of equal significance in return.

To compare this to Collingwood, our FA signings have by and large been role players Roughead doesnt leave the back 50m and it wouldnt be anyones expectation that hes going to be the saviour of the club. Our trades in have cost us a lot, Adams, Treloar, *Beams*.

Bit of a rant I know, but it just goes to show our list management has done quite well over the last few years.
Pretty tough year for a new group, under a new coach with a new game plan. I think they did bloody well against the Dogs, but struggled against our tighter organisation.

Pretty tough year for a new group, under a new coach with a new game plan. I think they did bloody well against the Dogs, but struggled against our tighter organisation.
To each their own, but the actions taken by St Kilda reek of trying to buy their way out of a hole - watch them throw a kings ransom at Brad Crouch come years end...

Matty Boyd our defence coach deserve a lot of credit too.

It's always our star midfielders and forwards who get all the attention, but Howe Crisp Moore Maynard are all criminally underrated, and regularly outperform their much more hyped teammates.
God knows how much praise each assistant coach should get, but those 4 players you listed are an awesome unit.

And the media pumped them up all week saying that this was their best chance to beat us.

Also the St. Kilda love feast on fox footy yesterday was nauseating.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The big problem is that we only win a flag every 20 years. If we win this and have to wait another 20 years, we will have to endure 20 years of pain reminding us we could only win the Covid Cup.

Still have nightmares over Carman getting 2 weeks!!
And J Cloke missing the 2002 GF. Rocca missing 2003...

... but I would still take the COVID Cup and run with it!

Collingwood recorded their second victory of the 2020 season with an imposing first half to ultimately prevail by 44 points against St Kilda. The Magpies were able to generate quicker ball movement from clearances or marks to allow their forwards to thrive when the game was there to be won. The second half was very dour with a frugal amount of goals kicked, which ensured the sting went out of the game, and prevented any comeback the Saints attempted to make against the Woods.

Collingwood won every statistical category on offer. They were able to gain advantages from disposals by +42 (347 - 305), kicks by +9 (194 - 185), handballs were won by +33 (153 - 120), +3 for contested possessions (112 - 109), and uncontested possessions had a differential of +37 (234 - 197).

The Pies were able to maintain possession with their marking game by taking 6 more marks than the Saints (101 - 95), with uncontested marks won by +3 (90 - 87) , and won the Contested Marks count by +3 (11 - 8), while Marks Inside 50 had a differential of +3 (8 - 5), as were the Inside 50s by +6 (40 - 34).

Clearances was a notable feature of Collingwood's victory, where they were able to win the clearances by +11 (32 - 21), centre clearances were won by +6 (10 - 4), and stoppage clearances had a differential of +5 (22 - 17), with the hit-outs stat won by +5 (34 - 29).

The Woods lifted the volume of tackles from the previous game against Richmond by winning the tackle count against the Saints by +12 (55 - 43), with Tackles Inside 50 won by +4 (10 - 6), enabling Collingwood more opportunities to score goals, and intercept possessions were won by +4 (62 - 58).

Steele Sidebottom (31 disposals @ 64%, 203 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 17 kicks, 14 handballs, 5 marks, 6 tackles, 6 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 3 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) won the ball at will over four quarters, and impacted the contest when he was required.

Scott Pendlebury (26 disposals @ 65%, 295 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 14 handballs, 7 marks, 3 tackles, 5 score involvements, 2 clearances & 5 Inside 50s) played a steady game, and gave his side enough forward entries when they became available.

Brodie Grundy (20 disposals @ 60%, 12 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 31 hit-outs, 5 kicks, 15 handballs, 5 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 4 tackles, 5 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 3 Inside 50s) was colossal as always, and defeated two ruckmen in Rowan Marshall & Paddy Ryder. Passed that test with flying colours.

Taylor Adams (19 disposals @ 63%, 324 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 7 handballs, 4 tackles, 5 score involvements, 6 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 2 goals) is becoming a damaging midfielder that is kicking goals. Adams has kicked goals in each of Collingwood's matches this season.

Jack Crisp (24 disposals @ 88%, 319 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 12 handballs, 6 marks, 5 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 4 Rebound 50s) had a very blended game by blending defence into attack mode. Crisp is usually a barometer on how the team plays well in every game.

Brayden Maynard (23 disposals @ 87%, 432 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 17 kicks, 6 handballs, 7 marks, 6 tackles, 3 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) played brilliantly in his 100th game. Used the ball effectively from defence, and laid tackles to neutralise contests.

Jeremy Howe (18 disposals @ 89%, 437 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 2 handballs, 4 marks, 2 score involvements & 9 Rebound 50s) provided excellent coverage and produced constant counter-attacks in his rebounding game.

Darcy Moore (15 disposals @ 80%, 106 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 5 kicks, 10 handballs, 6 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 2 score involvements & 2 Rebound 50s) played the anchor-role where he would mark it, before dishing off by hand to generate continuous play and fluent ball movement.

Jordan De Goey (16 disposals @ 81%, 245 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 7 handballs, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 3 Tackles Inside 50, 5 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 1 goal) spent more time in attack and executed a bit better. Also had a stint in the midfield where he impacted the game with centre clearances.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (15 disposals @ 87%, 232 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 3 handballs, 8 marks, 2 tackles, 4 score involvements & 4 Inside 50's) provided a marking target on the wing and flank for his team whilst the ball was in transition in defence or when the ball was being moved slowly to maintain possession. Only a matter of time before you impact the scoreboard inside the forward arc, Will.

Jamie Elliott (13 disposals @ 62%, 224 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 9 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 3 tackles, 7 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 2 goals) had a lively game early, before wasting a couple of chances in the third term that he would've liked to have converted. Could have had 5 goals. Hopefully he has that type of game against the Giants.

Brody Mihocek (9 disposals @ 67%, 180 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 3 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 2 handballs, 6 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 4 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 goals) provided a contest, took his fair share of marks, and impacted the scoreboard twice.

Jaidyn Stephenson (6 disposals @ 67%, 131 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 4 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 5 kicks, 3 Marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 3 score involvements & 2 goals) kicked Collingwood's first two goals to lift the team and get them going. Proof he does not need many possessions to impact the contest.

Collingwood's next game will be on June 26 against GWS at GIANTS Stadium. It will mark the first clash since that infamous Preliminary Final in 2019 that culminated Collingwood's season. Playing on from marks will be required to kick enough goals against the Giants. Maintain possession by all means, but know when to go fast to catch the Giants off balance to derail their season.

Last edited:
For what its worth, yesteday was exactly what I expected. Not necissiarly from our game, but more from St Kilda.

Their linup is effectively made up of rejects from other clubs, plus a few decent FA singings. Lets take a look at the team from Yesterday:

Ryder, Butler, Hannebery, Marsh, Jones, Hill, Howard - All new to the club this year. All bar Butler had stinkers.

I had the same thoughts at the trade period as I do now, there is a reason a lot of these players were able to walk from their clubs and arrive at the Saints. Sure they payed a price for Hill but the rest were pick swaps, late picks or FA signings.

If their old clubs rated these players, they would have fought to keep them or get something of equal significance in return.

To compare this to Collingwood, our FA signings have by and large been role players Roughead doesnt leave the back 50m and it wouldnt be anyones expectation that hes going to be the saviour of the club. Our trades in have cost us a lot, Adams, Treloar, *Beams*.

Bit of a rant I know, but it just goes to show our list management has done quite well over the last few years.
You've nailed it when it comes to what we have done.

Our engine room of the side. The thing that actually gets the side going and wins games is ineffective.

North Melbourne with cunnington alone surrounded by kids got the job done against us.

Yesterday you guys had an elite engine. Grundy Pendles Adams degoey sidebottom. Then you have treloar. Hell imagine if beams was fit and had his head on properly. I'm sure there's more as you guys are know better what you have. That's an engine that can win a flag. Its under rated because everyone bangs on about richmond. But I reckon you can and will out perform them over the year.

We don't have one player like that. Theyre all outside types. Not one single inside mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have become a fragile supporter or read too much Big Footy.:(

We won by 44 points, making some mistakes in the second half of footy by players who don't normally make them. We are playing footy in an uncertain period with a deadly virus amongst us. Still have a couple of good players to come into the side which only should make us better.

I should be much happier than I am.:think:

A win under these circumstances is a huge win and by 44 points! (admitting against a middle tier team who beat WB. WB then come out and beat Giants).

A real topsy turvey season so far.

So think I will force myself to enjoy this win and celebrate our Wall of Defence.

Oh and Pendles? Best Captain in the league by far.

Time to believe Maggie, I said before the Bulldogs game that we would win the flag this year and as each week passes I am more and more convinced. Best defence in the league

You've nailed it when it comes to what we have done.

Our engine room of the side. The thing that actually gets the side going and wins games is ineffective.

North Melbourne with cunnington alone surrounded by kids got the job done against us.

Yesterday you guys had an elite engine. Grundy Pendles Adams degoey sidebottom. Then you have treloar. Hell imagine if beams was fit and had his head on properly. I'm sure there's more as you guys are know better what you have. That's an engine that can win a flag. Its under rated because everyone bangs on about richmond. But I reckon you can and will out perform them over the year.

We don't have one player like that. Theyre all outside types. Not one single inside mid.

Losing Stevens must have hurt. What's going with Seb Ross right now? I've liked some of what I've seen of him on ball and before that half back. Was pretty anonymous last night. Saints really lack on ballers which I reckon shows when you're giving Ryder and Marsh a run throuh there.

Losing Stevens must have hurt. What's going with Seb Ross right now? I've liked some of what I've seen of him on ball and before that half back. Was pretty anonymous last night. Saints really lack on ballers which I reckon shows when you're giving Ryder and Marsh a run throuh there.
It hurts more so because he's a much loved player and he's probably the only elite mid we had. Prior to him falling in a heap.

Seb was drafted in 2012 at pick 25. Compromised draft. So hes probably more like pick 35. He was gonna be our next gun inside mid like say a Sam Mitchell. We drafted Dunstan and Acres to go with him in 2013 at picks 18 and 19. All showed promise but now none of them are delivering. Mix of bad drafting and development.

Ross hasn't so much gone backwards. He's just stalled. He hasn't gone up the next gear or two. He's mainly outside now like hanners. Ineffective inside. His ball use gone backwards massively.

Its frustrating and painful for saints fans. 9 years without finals and no hope in sight.

It hurts more so because he's a much loved player and he's probably the only elite mid we had. Prior to him falling in a heap.

Seb was drafted in 2012 at pick 25. Compromised draft. So hes probably more like pick 35. He was gonna be our next gun inside mid like say a Sam Mitchell. We drafted Dunstan and Acres to go with him in 2013 at picks 18 and 19. All showed promise but now none of them are delivering. Mix of bad drafting and development.

Ross hasn't so much gone backwards. He's just stalled. He hasn't gone up the next gear or two. He's mainly outside now like hanners. Ineffective inside. His ball use gone backwards massively.

Its frustrating and painful for saints fans. 9 years without finals and no hope in sight.
The pick we traded for Elliott and Clarke. GWS ontraded it along with Milera and Saad for a 5 pick upgrade. With Newnes and Webster that draft wasn't a complete bust for the saints, but everyone missed Neale who went in the 50s.

Love how everyone praises certain players but ignore Pendles.

It's just become default that everyone knows he had another influential game.
I'm guilty of this. Pendles being one of the best on the ground is so normal that it's not worthy of mention. It's a given.

I was really impressed with WHE last night. It was his best game in a long time. I think that positional shift of Mayne to defence with WHE to wing had a huge influence on our ball movement.

Instead of seeing the ball get into Maynes hands, only for him to stop, go back behind his mark and slow our movement until their defence reset; we had WHE turn, play on at speed and take the first option.

Our forwards looked far more dangerous with quick ball movement from WHE, Daicos and Steele out wide. I hope we stick with that.

I was really impressed with WHE last night. It was his best game in a long time. I think that positional shift of Mayne to defence with WHE to wing had a huge influence on our ball movement.

Instead of seeing the ball get into Maynes hands, only for him to stop, go back behind his mark and slow our movement until their defence reset; we had WHE turn, play on at speed and take the first option.

Our forwards looked far more dangerous with quick ball movement from WHE, Daicos and Steele out wide. I hope we stick with that.
I'm probably whe's biggest critic, but I agree. I also liked JDG playing higher, more centre half forward than full forward. I think that accelerated us too.

I have become a fragile supporter or read too much Big Footy.:(

We won by 44 points, making some mistakes in the second half of footy by players who don't normally make them. We are playing footy in an uncertain period with a deadly virus amongst us. Still have a couple of good players to come into the side which only should make us better.

I should be much happier than I am.:think:

A win under these circumstances is a huge win and by 44 points! (admitting against a middle tier team who beat WB. WB then come out and beat Giants).

A real topsy turvey season so far.

So think I will force myself to enjoy this win and celebrate our Wall of Defence.

Oh and Pendles? Best Captain in the league by far.
We were very good yesterday, clinical. Not much to be disappointed about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 3 = Collingwood 81-37 St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back