Review Round 3-Geelong defeats Gold Coast by 9 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Whoever said Blitz isn't a footballer....go jump. That last qtr was huge.
Selwood, inspirational.
Gregson, very promising.
Stanley, liked his game.
Great hard fought win by the boys with only 1 man on the bench in the last.

-Things turned around in the 3rd quarter when Blicavs went in the middle.
-Walker had a big game that demands selection
-Our youngster stood up Lang,Thurlow, Gregson got imvolved while Cockatoo setup a few goals.

A lot of injuries, we're going to be very young next week.

It's a pity that with Lonners gone Blitz may need to go back as I agree it worked, Stanley did a good job of wrestling to allow Blitz third man ups and it works for us, may be an option to help us cover our ruck weaknesses relative to other teams.

Walker just has to play, I understand there are issues as to how many talls we can fit in the side without being too slow but his vfl form and afl form has been outstanding the last 2 months and he should be given a clear run at it.

Medial Ligament for Bartel, A few weeks so likely 4-6 missed

dislike_by_khmaivietboi-d4ajisy.jpg

:cry:

Blitz may not be the best footy player around but that was a moment there. He took it and made it.
Credit to him.

Go Catters
But he is. I love him. Almost our 2nd player picked after Selwood. What position can he not play?

<snipped>

just on that

Yes, totally. He could not get the ball when it hit the ground, and looked proppy and slow. But man, didn't he give it all he had in the last quarter! Great effort.
Oh yeah I'm not disputing how he tried, but when you can't bend much you can look awful at timeS as well

Selwood was massive.
Walker involved in about 70% of our goals. No need to worry about his height or mobility, he provided plenty of forward pressure for us.
Clarke put in everything he had.
Thurlow, Lang & Gregson should be best 22.

Full credit to Scott for putting Blitz on Rischettelli. Was his best game for the club. Awesome.

Gee. Only just got there! Brave, but we are not a good side, let alone great.

Selwood - huge game.
Gregson - very impressive.
Darcy - good first half, but does fumble as some others have noted.
Stanley - certainly an upgrade, but we must learn to rove to the ruckman.
Kelly - pretty good bar a couple of mistakes.
Enright - shaky 1st 1/4, but improved.
Harry - very good until the big hit he took.
Thurlow - he will stay in.
Caddy - poor first 1/2, better second.
Jonno - not great. BAck looks cooked, can't bend, fumbling. Shodow of himself today.
Walker - big first half, but faded. Probably understandable. Should definitely be keep in.
Clark - so,so. Looked like he was injured at the end as well.
Bartel - there goes the first 1/2 of the season for him.
Cocky - a few good things. Bit light, but stood up well later in the game. Kept running and trying.
Blitz - I didn't think he was great, but if he blanketed Riska.
Bews very good I thought.
Stokes - injury.
Loners - big hit. Won't see him for a while.
Motlop - disappointing. May have hurt his knee again I think. But he is poor one-on-one too often, and his defence was average.
Murder - well, it was murder. Pretty poor I thought.
Guthrie - pretty good.

Gee our skill were/are down. We kick and handball into the mark and in general play into the opposition so many times creating turnovers. Just woeful.
We looked like we lacked any system first 1/2.

In the end, full points for courage, but only 4/10 for the skills of the game.

Next week looks like another thumping at home to me. We will have multiple changes again due to injuries.
He and Thurlow looked good down back

Last edited:
Thurlow good in 1st game back
Gregson very good and has spark
Lang does good things at the right times
Bews solid down back on small forwards and gave some run in 2nd half
Cockatoo going to be a great player just needs some games under belt.

These guys should play seniors all year. They will have some good and some bad but could be the guys that drive the tilt once they get a few games.

Stanley could be the competitive ruck we have been looking for. He probably wont be dominant with taps but will compete and is better round the ground than our other options. Clark and Blitz backing him up may leave some room for Walker who has been good in his last 2 afl games.

Kolodjashnij was apparently good in the 2's this week again so hopefully he is pushing for selection soon also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We looked like going on to win by six goals+ before we tired in the last quarter.

I am not one to get stuck into umpires but I thought we were robbed so badly today. The mark awarded to Day in the opening minute of the final term was just an example of how things went against us all day long.
Really, really woeful. Sure hope we get the rub of the green next week because the umps almost won em the game today.

Selwood was massive.
Walker involved in about 70% of our goals. No need to worry about his height or mobility, he provided plenty of forward pressure for us.
Clarke put in everything he had.
Thurlow, Lang & Gregson should be best 22.

Full credit to Scott for putting Blitz on Rischettelli. Was his best game for the club. Awesome.
Genius move by Scott. :p

Great win considering the injuries and love the feeling of ending the weekend with a cays win, feels great!
Selwood was massive. Loved gregson, thurlow, lang and walker. Good signs for the future. Stanley was good in the ruck, dont know why channel 7 kept stating geelong were getting beaten by smith i saw it differently.
Only 1 win but a good day and hopefully something to build on for next week. Please keep walker in when hawkins is back. Rivers can take lonergans spot if required.

Wheeeeeeee we won! Happy!!!!

Loved:
  • That we didn't give up
  • Some young'uns actually ran away from tacklers instead of getting instantly stopped. Refreshing.
  • Selsy's effort rewarded by the rest of the team responding
  • Goal kicking
  • some nice organised entries into goal
  • Less brain farts
  • Welcome back Jackson Thurlow
  • The really young players standing up, nay starring.
  • Cam Guthrie deciding to switch to the sleeves.
  • Defence staying firm when they really needed to. Top notch.
Hmmm ...
  • Can we cope without Domsy AND Jimmy? Does Jake finally get a go?
  • Steve Johnson. discuss.
  • Mitch Duncan obviously better at kicking into the forward line. Can we not keep him doing that? Just ... Blergh
YIKES
  • The 2nd quarter was UGLY
  • How easily the opposition can stream into goal through the midfield
  • It's Gold Coast, and we won by 9 points. Perspective.
  • How easily we could have lost
  • The prospect of North next week. With a team filled with young'uns.
Anyway, first win for the season. Imma bask in the glow for a bit. :)

I am not one to get stuck into umpires but I thought we were robbed so badly today. The mark awarded to Day in the opening minute of the final term was just an example of how things went against us all day long.
Really, really woeful. Sure hope we get the rub of the green next week because the umps almost won em the game today.
Yeah they certainly seemed to have the better of it

Was many howlers today all went Suns way, is it just me or do we always get mauled by the umpires at home?

Great win considering the injuries and love the feeling of ending the weekend with a cays win, feels great!
Selwood was massive. Loved gregson, thurlow, lang and walker. Good signs for the future. Stanley was good in the ruck, dont know why channel 7 kept stating geelong were getting beaten by smith i saw it differently.
Only 1 win but a good day and hopefully something to build on for next week. Please keep walker in when hawkins is back. Rivers can take lonergans spot if required.

Yes, they were simply wrong about that, h/os were even at 1/2 time, they went ahead in Q3, then we clawed it back with the 2 men up in Q4. There were a lot of smothered h/os all day, though.

Really disappointing that we didn't get to see all the new guys to the club sing the song.
FFS channel 7 if you wan the games to lead into the news allow them to start to allow for injuries ya w***ers

Yes, they were simply wrong about that, h/os were even at 1/2 time, they went ahead in Q3, then we clawed it back with the 2 men up in Q4. There were a lot of smothered h/os all day, though.
I thought Stanley did very well in the ruck... for a rookie ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 3-Geelong defeats Gold Coast by 9 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back