Review Round 3: v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

UGw1mKB.gif
This needs to be Hird during this year's Grand Final parade.

Sosa, you know what to do.

Last edited:
Do you have a comment about Hardi at all? ;)
If he only gets it 7 times and kicks 3, and made no horrendous mistakes. Pretty good game by Hardi. 2 in a row. Even the bling squirrel finds an acorn. I still don't believe he is in our best 22. But the best 22 is rarely on the park.

Hey Guys, great win on Sunday night and good luck for the remainder of the year.

As a Carlton supporter I obviously don't have a lot of time for the Bombers because of the whole love/hate rivalry but I had to point something out that I saw on Sunday night.

Joe Daniher showed some sportsmanship that you rarely see on an AFL ground these days. Before the ball was bounced he put the hand out to shake with Jamison. For a horrible moment there I thought Jamison was not going to reciprocate but thankfully he did. Really good to see a player out there who wants to do well but acknowledges that before a game, should be more of it! :thumbsu:
Noticed that he (Joe) shook hands with Josh Gibson before the Hawks game, too.

I like it.

If he only gets it 7 times and kicks 3, and made no horrendous mistakes. Pretty good game by Hardi. 2 in a row. Even the bling squirrel finds an acorn. I still don't believe he is in our best 22. But the best 22 is rarely on the park.
Fair enough.
But would you call him an AFL standard footballer yet?

I actually don't agree with the handshake before the game. Handshake at the end is an absolute must though.

Hey fair enough, I guess everyone is different.

I just reckon there is nothing wrong with wishing someone good luck before the game and shaking hands. Once the ball is bounced go your hardest and win at all costs.

Fair enough.
But would you call him an AFL standard footballer yet?

Lets see some sustainable form first.
I have based my opinion on his first 4 years. Two games of ok football doesn't cut it.

Lets be honest, its only ok form he has been showing. Which is fine.

If he erradicates from his game the horrendous errors, then he has the attributes to be ok.

I am glad he is forward, as he is a liability in defense

Hey fair enough, I guess everyone is different.

I just reckon there is nothing wrong with wishing someone good luck before the game and shaking hands. Once the ball is bounced go your hardest and win at all costs.
The thing is you don't want them to have luck, you want everything to go your way. Well that's how I think anyway and I'd rather not lie (by wishing them good luck). There is nothing wrong with the handshake before the game, I'm just not a fan.

The thing is you don't want them to have luck, you want everything to go your way. Well that's how I think anyway and I'd rather not lie (by wishing them good luck). There is nothing wrong with the handshake before the game, I'm just not a fan.

I don't mean luck as in I hope you kick 10 goals on me I just mean wish them all the best as in with injuries. I reckon in Boxing the most combative sport you could look at they always touch gloves before the bout so I reckon it is a good thing. It just surprised me as you never see that, Daniher is a competitor on the ground but I just liked the way he went about things before it.

I don't mean luck as in I hope you kick 10 goals on me I just mean wish them all the best as in with injuries. I reckon in Boxing the most combative sport you could look at they always touch gloves before the bout so I reckon it is a good thing. It just surprised me as you never see that, Daniher is a competitor on the ground but I just liked the way he went about things before it.
I'm with you. I don't think it's about wishing them luck per se, just a gesture of respect.

I remember Harry Taylor going out of his way to pat Cloke on the back before the '11 grand final, that was good to see too.

The boxing example is a great one.

Was there a player who went to shake another players hand before a game a few years ago and the other player refused? I think I remember it happening but can't remember the players involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The boxing example is a great one.

Was there a player who went to shake another players hand before a game a few years ago and the other player refused? I think I remember it happening but can't remember the players involved.

Please don't get me started. It was Brock McLean who refused to shake Brett Kirk's hand....disgraceful! Not saying you have to instigate it but I reckon it is one of the more disrespectful things you can do to not shake hands if it is put in front of you.

Maybe we need more handshakes before the game.. to me it is a sign of "let's go 100% and try and kill each other (fairly) for the next 120mins, but at the end of the day I hope I have beaten you fair and square"

This is a game, a hard tough game.. nothing wrong with acknowledging that you are both their to play that game in the right spirit and with the right intent.

Funniest moment of the match was watching Carrazzo lead at Ellard in the 2nd quarter, and then scream "effen hell" when he didn't kick it to him so loud we could hear it three levels up. After Ellard kicked the goal he trotts across and pats him on the back as though he hadn't just cracked the shits.

I agree with this - I see it more Hawthorn than old Geelong-like, but a bit of both.

I think the only adjustment we have had to make is sometimes we go a bit too slow (ie Hawthorn first half) and got ourselves into sticky situations.

What I liked since then, is we have gone a touch quicker and look more prepared to kick to an isolated contest, and trust our teammates. We arent waiting for the perfect lead, if not wait to bomb. Not as much anyway.

We also seem to be getting better at kicking to advantage - something that has been bugging me for a couple years.

It definitely looks like a style of play which is 100x more sustainable than anything we have dished up in a while. Time will tell.
one word... experience!! We came up against the best side in the comp who have had their style work for them for a number of years and have full confidence in it.
I think the 2nd half made the boys realise they have got what it takes to execute that game plan, their confidence lifts and we shouldn't have to many slow starts like that again this year

I actually don't agree with the handshake before the game. Handshake at the end is an absolute must though.
Handshake at the start is a must... got told to do it all through juniors and I still do it, when the ump blows his whistle before the bounce then you start giving your opponenet a what for

My take on the Carlton Game. I spoke to some Essendon supporters around me and at first they were insisting that Essendon played a great game the previous week. My view was that we played shyte footy for the first half, steps slower on the ground and allowed Hawthorne to pass as they pleased, damaging passes virtually uncontested.
In the second half, our boys ran a step faster than Hawthorn, put pressure on them, and nearly stole the game. Only a last minute lapse, probably from exhaustion cost them the game. It hurt!!!I didn't want to hear about footy for the week; it left a bitter taste in my mouth, and our boys probably felt the same.
So the team took it out on Carlton; and ran them ragged and put tremendous pressure on them when they got the ball. Carlton started to pass the ball backwards and sideways, and after about 4 or 5 passes, they got caught on the opposite wing and lost the ball. This happened so many times that the Essendon supporters around me, and me included, started to yell pass it back each time Carlton got the ball - and they did, to eventually have it taken off them. At one stage, Carlton were seemingly passing the ball backwards and sideways to protect a 9 goal deficit. I mean, how stupid is that?
If our guys get ahead of themselves in future games, all they have to do is to remember the bitter taste the Hawthorn game left them. I remember Chappy said that he never wanted to lose to Hawthorn again - neither do I want to see it again in my lifetime!

Statistically we matched Hawthorn in a lot of areas in the first half, great teams just find easy ways to score which is what Hawthorn could do in the first half but we couldn't.

Most key defenders like to ram an elbow about half way down the back when they first met (actually most defenders do). I think JoeD is onto something here where he can prevent that from happening with a handshake.

Would love to watch this week to see if he tries to handshake Dawsons hand, dont expect one in return.

These big old school key defenders go out to hurt and bully guys like JoeD and i think hes onto it.

I personally dont like it, last thing i want to see is all 22 players handshaking before a game.

My take on the Carlton Game. I spoke to some Essendon supporters around me and at first they were insisting that Essendon played a great game the previous week. My view was that we played shyte footy for the first half, steps slower on the ground and allowed Hawthorne to pass as they pleased, damaging passes virtually uncontested.
In the second half, our boys ran a step faster than Hawthorn, put pressure on them, and nearly stole the game. Only a last minute lapse, probably from exhaustion cost them the game. It hurt!!!I didn't want to hear about footy for the week; it left a bitter taste in my mouth, and our boys probably felt the same.
So the team took it out on Carlton; and ran them ragged and put tremendous pressure on them when they got the ball. Carlton started to pass the ball backwards and sideways, and after about 4 or 5 passes, they got caught on the opposite wing and lost the ball. This happened so many times that the Essendon supporters around me, and me included, started to yell pass it back each time Carlton got the ball - and they did, to eventually have it taken off them. At one stage, Carlton were seemingly passing the ball backwards and sideways to protect a 9 goal deficit. I mean, how stupid is that?
If our guys get ahead of themselves in future games, all they have to do is to remember the bitter taste the Hawthorn game left them. I remember Chappy said that he never wanted to lose to Hawthorn again - neither do I want to see it again in my lifetime!

We brought the same intensity of that 3rd for the whole game against Carlton and they couldn't handle it this was the most pleasing thing for me.

Could only imagine what Hawthorn will do to them.

Absolutely stoked to have played such a complete four quarter performance.

That was Jackson' breakout game, surely? 34 possessions (@70%) including 10 marks and 8 inside 50's.

Worth noting, the kid Gleeson had 10 possessions in a little over a quarter of footy. Supersub

Paul Chapman worth every cent he is valued at in Supercoach. Oh, and in real life.

Loved it that Hep stood up, and Myers too in the absence of Jobe who was down for the early parts of the game.

Not having followed footy all last year, I must say I am stunned by our team's performance. I had this young fellow sitting next to me identifying each player for me (didn't have my radio), and he told me this kid Gleeson is a really good player.
Chappy!! well I kept saying "Thank you Geelong" all night. Apparently he is one of the most loved Essendon players right now, from the comments made in the footy shows last night.
So! I completely agree with what you have posted, and chalked up a like for your post.

Ok peoples, I'm here and I brought beer.

How good is it to **** Carlscum up the ****ing **** with a ****ing **** **** brace yourself ****ing **** **** **** salty tears **** **** ******** with a shovel and **** **** ****ing Jeanne Pratt Hobgoblin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 3: v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back