Review Round 3: v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I see with the style of play ( I think it's more Hawks than Cats ) that when the opposition have the ball in a stop play, that a player is immediately guarding the mark, or if they are in the clear one player harassed and the rest zone off to guard space ( a variation of Clarkson's cluster ). I think this often makes team go backwards seeking the fat side of the ground but their ball movement is stifled and usually controlled. This has to be a more sustainable way of playing which should ensure the team finishes off the season. And when we win the ball back the team will go slow, unless there is a guaranteed fast break. Now it will be interesting to see how we cope with Fremantle who close down space very well. Uncontested possessions will be the key.

Need Smokin to give a tactical analysis.

As for the media coverage, there's only so much you can be fellated by the media in Rd 3. I'd rather listen to Carlton supporters calling up on the verge of tears than hear the sort of sycophantic rubbish that West Coast have been getting since beating Melbourne.

"BT if you're going to do that, you need to get rid of that mo"

The conversation on the train with my Carlton-supporting mates and even a few texts today were about playing the kids and looking towards this year's draft.......after Round 3.

Nice to see Carlton reverting to type.

To be fair.. at least they are showing the guts to admit their side is shit..

Too right they should play the kids.. maybe find a heart in one of them..

Pretty sure that is what happens any time any team is blown out. Almost never about how good one team played but rather a segment on how garbage the other one was. Especially seeing as they didn't have an excuse (like Freo did v Hawks with no Barlow/Fyfe)

That is true when the Eagles accounted for Melbourne the focus was on the Dees when in truth the Eagles are playing very dominate footy.

We saw it with the Hawks beating Freo, all the talk is about Freo ignoring the Hawks being clearly the best side this season.

The media just love Carlton and Freo and when they flop the media go over board to hide from their over hyping although Freo are a far better side than Carlton.

Digested the results, and loads of media. I didn't want to post in an euphoric state - but I still haven't come down completely.

This game to me, was a karmic debt carlscum had to pay, and pay dearly they did. (mis)Management thought there was a silver lining in the salary cap sanctions, being granted a priority pick in 2003 ( a.walker ), despite being banned from the draft. They continued strategically playing crap, and getting m.murphy as a p.p. (2005). They were cheered into the spoon to gain b.gibbs in 2006. He hadn't started shaving, but was elevated into the leadership group without playing a game.

Continuing the rort, they lost (won?) the kreuser cup, and the sevices of m.kreuzer ( another p.p. ) in 2007. They appointed pratt president, the only CEO in Australia to be convicted of involvement in a cartel, price fixing and collusion. They de-listed their current captain ( l.whitnall ), and replaced him with a prostitute player in c.judd, who was to lead a rabble he had never met.

Chuck in the sacking of one of their favourite sons ( b.ratten ), to be replaced by a geriatric outsider with limited success ( m.malthouse ), and things were poised to go ****-up.

Praise the lawd, it happened on our watch. Yee-Har!!

Which is why we are still probably 12 months away from being 'at the death'.. but if injuries go nicely then yeah you can probably get further..

Players who have shown they can play at the top level who missed on the weekend;

- Leroy Jetta
- Courtney Dempsey
- Tayte Pears
- Tom Bellchambers
- Paddy Ryder
- Travis Colyer
- Nicholas Kommer
- Corey Dell Ollio

These would be the guys I would consider as not losing (much) should they be called upon for the seniors. Others may argue we can get a similar output from EKav, Browne (injured I know), O'Brien, Hams, but facts are they have not done it for nearly long enough to be considered quite AFL standard.

The conversation on the train with my Carlton-supporting mates and even a few texts today were about playing the kids and looking towards this year's draft.......after Round 3.

Nice to see Carlton reverting to type.

I'll top that

A St.Kilda mate of mine was barracking against his side pre round 1 for the top draft pick.

Have quietly let him know they aren't that bad at 2 - 1.

not sure if its been mentioned but we are averaging 34 more disposals than the next best team, as well as 41 more marks, cant find disposal efficiency yet but i'm sure where near the top on that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, he didn't even play. Surely the Pears comments are a bit out of context here.

I agree that he'll have a tough time getting in, mind you. Which is more reflective of how we're going than a knock on Pears, because he wasn't exactly bad when he played last year.
If were serious about getting to september and being fresh he will play a big part, if all of Fletch, Hooker, Hurley, Pears are in form why not rest the 1st three every 4 or 5 games (staggered of course), Pears comes in for 3 games while each player has a week off.
And Pears will get his shot when fletch retires

Players who have shown they can play at the top level who missed on the weekend;

- Leroy Jetta
- Courtney Dempsey
- Tayte Pears
- Tom Bellchambers
- Paddy Ryder
- Travis Colyer
- Nicholas Kommer
- Corey Dell Ollio

These would be the guys I would consider as not losing (much) should they be called upon for the seniors. Others may argue we can get a similar output from EKav, Browne (injured I know), O'Brien, Hams, but facts are they have not done it for nearly long enough to be considered quite AFL standard.

I dont take much notice of VFL but imo Del'olio has yet to show he can play top level, ill give him a let off as hes only played a handful of games

I see with the style of play ( I think it's more Hawks than Cats ) that when the opposition have the ball in a stop play, that a player is immediately guarding the mark, or if they are in the clear one player harassed and the rest zone off to guard space ( a variation of Clarkson's cluster ). I think this often makes team go backwards seeking the fat side of the ground but their ball movement is stifled and usually controlled. This has to be a more sustainable way of playing which should ensure the team finishes off the season. And when we win the ball back the team will go slow, unless there is a guaranteed fast break. Now it will be interesting to see how we cope with Fremantle who close down space very well. Uncontested possessions will be the key.

I agree with this - I see it more Hawthorn than old Geelong-like, but a bit of both.

I think the only adjustment we have had to make is sometimes we go a bit too slow (ie Hawthorn first half) and got ourselves into sticky situations.

What I liked since then, is we have gone a touch quicker and look more prepared to kick to an isolated contest, and trust our teammates. We arent waiting for the perfect lead, if not wait to bomb. Not as much anyway.

We also seem to be getting better at kicking to advantage - something that has been bugging me for a couple years.

It definitely looks like a style of play which is 100x more sustainable than anything we have dished up in a while. Time will tell.

...god...
Well as a Saints supporter, it's easier to barrack for the wooden spoon (having won 26) than barrack for the premiership (one). In fact, it is probably ingrained in their psyche to cheer for the spoon these days.

- Leroy Jetta
- Courtney Dempsey
- Tayte Pears
- Tom Bellchambers
- Paddy Ryder
- Travis Colyer
- Nicholas Kommer
- Corey Dell Ollio

Maybe add Dalgleish for Del'Olio in that list. Both haven't really proven themselves at AFL level, but arguably Dal has shown a bit more than Del. In any case, Dalgleish should be in your post. Z.Merrett too.

Hey Guys, great win on Sunday night and good luck for the remainder of the year.

As a Carlton supporter I obviously don't have a lot of time for the Bombers because of the whole love/hate rivalry but I had to point something out that I saw on Sunday night.

Joe Daniher showed some sportsmanship that you rarely see on an AFL ground these days. Before the ball was bounced he put the hand out to shake with Jamison. For a horrible moment there I thought Jamison was not going to reciprocate but thankfully he did. Really good to see a player out there who wants to do well but acknowledges that before a game, should be more of it! :thumbsu:

Hey Guys, great win on Sunday night and good luck for the remainder of the year.

As a Carlton supporter I obviously don't have a lot of time for the Bombers because of the whole love/hate rivalry but I had to point something out that I saw on Sunday night.

Joe Daniher showed some sportsmanship that you rarely see on an AFL ground these days. Before the ball was bounced he put the hand out to shake with Jamison. For a horrible moment there I thought Jamison was not going to reciprocate but thankfully he did. Really good to see a player out there who wants to do well but acknowledges that before a game, should be more of it! :thumbsu:
Yep, always good to see a bit of old-fashioned sportsmanship. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 3: v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back